Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PrePay phone deal - unbelievable

Options
  • 27-04-2020 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭

I meant to post this but forgot. Ok, it was over 20 years ago but a bargain is a bargain!

attachment.php?attachmentid=511074&stc=1&d=1588001381

Comments

I had this package up until 2018 and stubbornly refused to move off the tariff even though my phone service had passed from Digifone to O2 to Three.
    They eventually deactivated my account without my consent and I lost my phone number. I refused the change to terms and conditions as they were core to the product that had been sold to me which was "credits do not expire".

Comreg were every bit as useless as one would expect them to be. Quoting the contract terms and conditions which guaranteed me service was pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I was on the EarlyBird plan in 1998. My first phone cost me 79 punts!

Digifone was so hip and new compared to Eircell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had this package up until 2018 and stubbornly refused to move off the tariff even though my phone service had passed from Digifone to O2 to Three.
    They eventually deactivated my account without my consent and I lost my phone number. I refused the change to terms and conditions as they were core to the product that had been sold to me which was "credits do not expire".

Comreg were every bit as useless as one would expect them to be. Quoting the contract terms and conditions which guaranteed me service was pointless.

Why would you have remained on that plan when it’s so expensive???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Typical. You signed up in good faith and they treat you like this. Despicable!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Why would you have remained on that plan when it’s so expensive???

:rolleyes:

Edit: I thought he was joking. I thought you were missing the joke. Now I am unsure! Maybe he wanted it to make rare calls and had credit which hadn't expired. interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,783 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

zell12 wrote: »
    I was on the EarlyBird plan in 1998. My first phone cost me 79 punts!

Digifone was so hip and new compared to Eircell

The internet in your pocket...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The internet in your pocket...

I had that phone in 2001, it was amazing at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Great find.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

:rolleyes:

Edit: I thought he was joking. I thought you were missing the joke. Now I am unsure! Maybe he wanted it to make rare calls and had credit which hadn't expired. interesting...

There are reasons you'd want an inbound only number or similar; basically all normal plans require you to spend something at some interval for this.

However, getting 20 years out of one is good going.

L1011 wrote: »
    There are reasons you'd want an inbound only number or similar; basically all normal plans require you to spend something at some interval for this.

However, getting 20 years out of one is good going.
    The battery in that Nokia would die every few years but they weren't very expensive. The arrangement suited me fine and would have lasted a lifetime if not for Three taking over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

The call rates outside a bundle remain very high. 75p per minute? I think I had nightowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

The battery in that Nokia would die every few years

Only ever got a couple of weeks out of the battery, then I had to charge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

I joined Digifone back in 2001 as part of a Bewleys tea bag offer, i.e. collect a certain number of tokens and get a Panasonic GD35 phone for £50 with 2 x £20 free credit (if I recall right).

My first phone was Eircell back in September 1999, but switched to that Digifone deal for the cheaper early bird plan as I was a student at the time. Indeed that was the time switching network meant changing your number for the new network's prefix. The house I stayed at was near a payphone, so it was still much cheaper to call using a phone card (£16 for 100 units, local call was 3 minutes per unit).

I still remember when O2 introduced GPRS for free back around 2002, however, once they started charging 3c/KB out of the blue, I didn't use data at all until they eventually offered a 50MB a day bundle for €1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

editorsean wrote: »
    I joined Digifone back in 2001 as part of a Bewleys tea bag offer, i.e. collect a certain number of tokens and get a Panasonic GD35 phone for £50 with 2 x £20 free credit (if I recall right).

My first phone was Eircell back in September 1999, but switched to that Digifone deal for the cheaper early bird plan as I was a student at the time. Indeed that was the time switching network meant changing your number for the new network's prefix. The house I stayed at was near a payphone, so it was still much cheaper to call using a phone card (£16 for 100 units, local call was 3 minutes per unit).

I still remember when O2 introduced GPRS for free back around 2002, however, once they started charging 3c/KB out of the blue, I didn't use data at all until they eventually offered a 50MB a day bundle for €1.
    Wow I remember that offer. You forget how far we've come in 20 years until you look at phones like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

I had a 5110 with an adaptor that went between the battery and the phone and you could insert 2 x SIMs. Phone would only work on one though, obviously. Seem to remember I had this arrangement with a speakeasy sim that had cheap calls during the day. You had to switch the phone off and on again to swap between sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I had that phone in 2001, it was amazing at the time.

Me too, Nokia 7110. Snake was better on the 8210, which I still have!

Advertisement