Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New i9 Build

Options
  • 27-04-2020 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for advice, does anyone see any issue with this spec for a PC build, especially any compatibility issues between the components, or something alternative I should be considering?

ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO motherboard
    i9 9900 Processor clocked to 4.9gH
    Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB - 360mm Liquid Cooler
    32gB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 (2x16 so can be upgraded to 64gB in due course)
    850W Corsair RM850i Power
    MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GAMING X TRIO Turing Graphics Card
    Havent selected a chassis as yet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Is this a self build or what?

If you are throwing that kinda money around, a build with a 2080Ti, 3700X, B450M and 32GB 3600mhz would actually cost less and destroy it in games.

Also what is the PC for exactly. You mentioned 64GB ram so you must have something specific in mind? In which case maybe a 9900 is better. Impossible to actually really give any advice without knowing the use.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Sorry should have also mentioned the use. It'll be primarily a development machine hosting a number of Hyper-V VM's running SQL and Visual Studio, but it'll also be used for some online gaming. The GPU might be overkill for what I intend to use it for but I'd rather it to be future-proofed hence this and also the option of upping the RAM at a later date if required.

It'll be a mostly self build but the chip, motherboard, cooling and ram will be prebuilt as a single purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

If the plan is to be running VMs for SQL and development I'd personally go for the higher Core/Thread count to dedicate to your VMs. AMD 3900X has 12 Core 24 Threads vs 8 Core 16 Threads on the i9. From a quick look at amazon the 3900X is currently £100 cheaper.

Do you have your storage sorted out? Depending on the use case of your SQL server (if it's very Transactional) some more investment here may make more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Vm requirements for me

Storage(minimum SSD or above)
    Ram
    CPU(core count over frequency)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

To add to above:

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/ryzenx/ccl-ryzenx-gaming-pc/0301090005000000010001/
    Customised RyzenX
    CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz
    RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
    Graphics GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
    Storage 1000GB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe SSD
    Wi-Fi 433Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi
    £1,804.99
    or £1,904.99 with Windows 10

Customise as needed.

• Advertisement

If the plan is to be running VMs for SQL and development I'd personally go for the higher Core/Thread count to dedicate to your VMs. AMD 3900X has 12 Core 24 Threads vs 8 Core 16 Threads on the i9. From a quick look at amazon the 3900X is currently £100 cheaper.

Do you have your storage sorted out? Depending on the use case of your SQL server (if it's very Transactional) some more investment here may make more sense

Interesting thought on the thread count, I just picked intel without really considering the other options out there.
    Disk space I didn't include in the spec other than one for the OS I'm aiming to include 2x2tB SSD's

Vm requirements for me

Storage(minimum SSD or above)
    Ram
    CPU(core count over frequency)

VM's I'll probably have maybe 10 of them available but cannot see more than 2 or 3 active at any time, it's more for switching between projects and maybe a test environ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

viper123 wrote: »

VM's I'll probably have maybe 10 of them available but cannot see more than 2 or 3 active at any time, it's more for switching between projects and maybe a test environ

You say that, but it always scales out or you get lazy and don't want to shut them down. In the virtual world, shared RAM is a big no, so you end up running out pretty quickly.

It should be worth pointing out, HyperV and gaming is a pain in the arse, would be better just running a Vm client on the Host OS like VMware workstation.

Space makes that difficult, currently running VM's off a decent spec laptop docked to a few monitors but I'm worried it will eventually overheat, the fans are on permanently now and I have no fallback if it was to fail. The plan is to make the laptop a backup and use a desktop going forward but I only have the space really for one tower

or you get lazy and don't want to shut them down. In the virtual world, shared RAM is a big no, so you end up running out pretty quickly.

Wont let that happen I normally give them 12gB RAM so on the laptop thats max two vms with enough left over to run the OS

• Advertisement
Advertisement