Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone having bother with Virgin Broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.2
    Sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Pataman wrote: »
    Sorted

I had both of those already (8.8.4.4 and 1.1.1.1) and the problem was still occurring for me.
    But I have been losing DNS for weeks, if not months now at random, I wonder if it's the same thing.
    I could see through a packet-trace that DNS was ok going out, but that there were no DNS packets returned. It was like port 53 (DNS) was unidirectional forwarding only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Just like to clear something up Liberty Global is the parent company of UPC/Virgin Media I said there was no change in Ireland and I was wrong.

On the very same day they did the meaningless rebrand to also got rid of loads of Irish call centre workers.:rolleyes:

Anybody remember this?

d-asset.jpg

And magic it was big layoffs under the cover of a stupid rebrand nothing changed still the same crappy TV box.

This is the real company do not pay attention to local branding.

liberty-global.jpg?w=1000
    All3Media (50% ownership with Discovery Inc.)
    ITV plc (United Kingdom) (9.9% shareholding)
    Lionsgate (3.5% ownership)
    Telenet (Belgium) (58% ownership)
    Base
    UPC Broadband
    UPC Polska (Poland)
    UPC Slovakia
    UPC Switzerland
    e-fon (49% ownership)[68]
    Platforma Canal+ (Poland) (17% ownership)
    Virgin Media Ireland Limited (Republic of Ireland)
    Virgin Media Television
    Virgin Mobile (Ireland)
    Virgin Media Limited (UK)
    Virgin Media Business Limited
    Virgin Mobile (UK)
    VodafoneZiggo (50% ownership)
    Vodafone Netherlands
    Ziggo
    Ziggo Sport
    Ziggo Sport Totaal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Pataman wrote: »
    Sorted
    Mine is on Google DNS and has been for years, but still having problems. Not sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Alun wrote: »
    Mine is on Google DNS and has been for years, but still having problems. Not sorted.

Same.

Alun wrote: »

Today is not a DNS problem their whole network is dropping including mobile.

Checking out this site https://downdetector.ie/

EIR Vodafone 3 and Sky seem to be having problems at the exact same times also.

Seems to be something major going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Today is not a DNS problem their whole network is dropping including mobile.

Checking out this site https://downdetector.ie/

EIR Vodafone 3 and Sky seem to be having problems at the exact same times also.

Seems to be something major going on.

Ya, I'm on 3 mobile and whilst not going full down like Virgin is, it slows down as much as being unusable anyway

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, I'm on 3 mobile and whilst not going full down like Virgin is, it slows down as much as being unusable anyway

Something fishy going on alright.

screenshot-2020-04-27-at-22-05-30.png

• Advertisement

If they don't have this fixed by working hours tomorrow, it's going to be a fun day.

A few South American telcos having exact same issues at same times.

JDxtra wrote: »
    A few South American telcos having exact same issues at same times.

It would be just the cherry on the cake if we all lost internet access on top of everything that is going on.:rolleyes:

They seem to be Liberty Global owned as well. So, maybe some common equipment issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the graphs looking similar. Most important thing is the numbers reporting issues per hour. Yes a major issue across Virgin networks, but the others I don't think so.

Most people report issues when they turn things on, mainly in the evening times. That's why you see a similar jump in numbers across all providers in the evening time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Couple of shots from my nagios box this evening.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the graphs looking similar. Most important thing is the numbers reporting issues per hour. Yes a major issue across Virgin networks, but the others I don't think so.

Most people report issues when they turn things on, mainly in the evening times. That's why you see a similar jump in numbers across all providers in the evening time.

Ah yeah, when everyone gets home from work in the evening. Makes sense. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭accensi0n

It's the 5G gamma rays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Turn off the router for two minutes. Restart and you should be good, worked for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Big router went bang, a very important cable was cut or some numpty decided to roll out a dodgy patch to every system at the same time. A load of techs in VM/Liberty Global are having a very bad evening right now anyway, that's for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

As annoying as it is, it'll be even more annoying when Gemma reveals the 'real truth' behind what happened... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭ffocused

Here is my Fingbox report for today. Four 10 minute outages in last 5 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tedpan wrote: »
    Turn off the router for two minutes. Restart and you should be good, worked for me!

Its an intermittent fault, you fixed nothing.
    Big router went bang, a very important cable was cut or some numpty decided to roll out a dodgy patch to every system at the same time. A load of techs in VM/Liberty Global are having a very bad evening right now anyway, that's for certain.

Repeated fails for similar periods, a single flapping link wouldn't cause that you'd hope. I'd say core gear is dropping entirely offline. Config problems wouldnt repeat like that (say a bad BGP ad, after the first outage you cop on).

Basil3 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, when everyone gets home from work in the evening. Makes sense. :pac:

Under normal circumstances yes, but I didn't say that.

Gone again for me

:16 minutes past, gone again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Down again in Dublin 6

Same here. At least it's consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ozark2020

Gone again Galway city ! Wth is going on with virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Same here. At least it's consistent.

Gone again in Leixlip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

In the middle of a game of MW with the lads, lost connection bang on 23.16. What the hells that about? 16mins past on the hour since 5 or 6pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭daheff

titan18 wrote: »
    4th time it's gone on me in the last 2 hours. Think they'd post something on social media saying what's up.

They can't, their internet is down :)

daheff wrote: »
    They can't, their internet is down :)

Someone made the same joke 4 hours ago. You must have a serious outage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I use them for home and mobile phone Internet and when one goes the other goes. Lesson learned I'll be switching one when the contracts are up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭ffocused

That outage was 10 minutes too from 23.17-27, so lesson is don’t do anything important at 15 past the hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mines been dropping all day, not so bad this morning but by 3pm I had to switch to using my phone as a hotspot to finish some work.

But for the rest of the evening its mostly been down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

3 times today it has gone down. Will take me ages to watch this film on Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,542 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dropping all day as well.

That's the 5th approx 10 minute outage. First it was every hour now every two hours. Happening across all Liberty Global ISPs in Europe and South America at the same time.

What's taking them so long to fix this I wonder.

Tomorrow will be fun if they don't fix it overnight. I only really noticed it after 5 today so didn't clash with today's work.

• Advertisement

Glad everyone is having the same problem. The first week of the lockdown it's was just my connection that was out for 6 days and it took 7 days to get a response from support. Who then wouldn't investigate it, because it was back working. Some support drone checking boxes no doubt.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    3 times today it has gone down. Will take me ages to watch this film on Netflix.

Download it on a laptop and then play it back. Probably still needs some connection though.

beauf wrote: »
    Download it on a laptop and then play it back. Probably still needs some connection though.

It's back working now and the movie is near the end so hopefully it doesn't cut out.
    But good shout for tomorrow. I will download some movies incase it happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Someone on twitter said they have multiple juniper routers with LDP flapping. That will have knock on of other things flapping like BGP. Then reconvergence in such a big network will undoubtedly have a ripple effect. One router reconverges and sends its updates to neighbouring router. Then that is router has to reconverge and so on. Messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Anyone know how this looks in the network logs?

Anything like..

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

I had a virgin tech in today to sort a separate issue (ended up having to switch points as we think there is a dodgy internal cable that needs replaced). Wondering now if I am having a new issue or if its the problem as everyone else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    It's back working now and the movie is near the end so hopefully it doesn't cut out.
    But good shout for tomorrow. I will download some movies incase it happens again.

You've us all wondering, what's the movie?

• Advertisement

You've us all wondering, what's the movie?

Ha Ha. Edge of fear. Some of the cast from prison break in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Someone on twitter said they have multiple juniper routers with LDP flapping. That will have knock on of other things flapping like BGP. Then reconvergence in such a big network will undoubtedly have a ripple effect. One router reconverges and sends its updates to neighbouring router. Then that is router has to reconverge and so on. Messy.

Link to tweet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Gone again.

Worrying that an issue with Liberty Global can wipe out broadband in so many countries. They'll have some questions to answer if this continues tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭asgaard

Same here, back again, Kildare

• Advertisement
Advertisement