Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown Self Gift / Future Project

• 27-04-2020 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

So I was going to treat myself to a new knife, something rustic, traditional outdoors etc, etc. Any how I had looked at a few Pathfinders and similar types and low and behold I came across this:
    Old Hickory Hunting Knife

511101.jpg

https://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/shop/fixed-knives/55-camp-knife

I already have the  Old Hickory Butcher Knife (7 inch) which I modified and made up a sheath for, so I'm happy enough with the brand and any of its eccentricities.

The knife has a snug fit sheath and I was happy to see it finished with a good strong welt and a plastic insert.

511102.jpg

Picture of welt and insert

511103.jpg

For those not familiar with this type of knife the blade is thin, only a few millimetres thick. But I have a similarly bladed custom knife that is my go to for gralloching.

511104.jpg

Altough often touted as a bushcraft knife I would not be to quick to batton through logs as is the fashion. The thin carbon steel blade lends itself to good slicing and is easy to sharpen. Research says that the knife is a flat bevel grind (20 degree) but I will re-profile to my go to angle of approximately 22.5 degrees.
    The blade is hair popping sharp up until the belly of the blade were the grind is not consistent.

511100.jpg

So the other issues that some have with the Old Hickorys are the handles. They are in the tradtional trade knife shape of just rectangler slabs of wood although this model has rounded factory finish to a similar shape often seen on the mod"d versions of the butcher knife. The other handle issues are the use of cuterly pins and no adhesive used between handle scales and the full tang of the blade.

Having pointed out its flaws be aware this and the other range of Hickory knives are a good choice for what knives are generaly used for. If you want a true bushcraft knife the cheeper options are the Mora range but if you want a bushcrsft knife with the properties of a crowbar you'll need to look at heavier duty knives as seen on YouTube.

I will, at the minimum, re-profile the grind, reshape the back of the tip (reduce the pronounced butchers tip) and apoxy the scales into place. But I have a project in mind that will see me modify the scales, add in liners and pin in place with brass rods. This may lead me to wet form the shesth.

For £29.99 + £6.00 postage to my door I'm happy enough and it will keep me busy a good few hours.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

515592.jpg

I took off the original scales and replaced them with white oak over orange micarta liners. I reground the tang to form a gaurd/hilt to offer some protection from the blade.

515595.jpg

Re-pinned with brass pins and a brass lanyard tube.

515593.jpg

The shape of the handle scales are inspired by William Collins
    (https://www.wcknives.com) and after shaping and sanding they were scorched to bring out the grain.

515594.jpg

After another sanding they were stained with walnut and rubbed down to desired colour then lacquered. The orginal sheath was reformed to accept the larger handle.

515596.jpg

Its warts and all with tool marks visible and I still have a lanyard and antler beads etc to add. I may re-lacquer it and wax the sheeth. But that's another day and mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

Great work

Advertisement