Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chiminea advice

Options
  • 27-04-2020 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

We borrowed neighbours fire pit at weekend- loved having the fire, but too much smoke. So looking at a chiminea. Have narrowed it down to something like this:

https://www.firepit-online.com/outtrade-terracefireplace-cadiz-136.html
    Or this;

https://www.firepit-online.com/la-hacienda-colorado-mesh-medium.html

360 mesh type everyone sees fire, good heat. But wind could blow smoke, can't bbq ( though rarely would anyway)
    3 sides enclose less impact of smoke, can bbq, but fire not as visible. Takes up marginally more room.
    We have south facing garden in North West, back of a semi d. Paved patio area at floor level of c.15 m2, with 1m wall partially around. Lawn of c 40 m2 behind and 50 cm above. We'll be burning logs mainly.
    Any opinions /experience of either type and/or this brand appreciated. Finally anyone used this Dutch site? (The mesh type available locally I think)
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Following with interest Scooby!
    I can't decide between a fire pit or chiminea.

What were you burning in it?
    A neighbour told me they're smokey because the wood that's burnt isn't dried out enough - don't know how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

One thing I've noted at friends' places is that the meshes are the first thing to rust. However I suspect most of the ones I've seen are just abandoned in the garden all year round, with no protection or care. Will you have somewhere to put it away when it's not in use, or some way of covering/protecting it over winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

ellejay wrote: »
    Following with interest Scooby!
    I can't decide between a fire pit or chiminea.

What were you burning in it?
    A neighbour told me they're smokey because the wood that's burnt isn't dried out enough - don't know how true that is.

Started with firelog, then bone dry wood. Think smoke a problem for us because patio lower down and very sheltered, at least that evening. Neighbour who lent it recommended chiminea for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

Thoie wrote: »
    Will you have somewhere to put it away when it's not in use, or some way of covering/protecting it over winter?

Will buy cover and put in shed in longer wet spells( lots of those here) and winter. That's why not buying cast iron, a pain to move! Those I'm looking at relatively light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Did you buy in the end? Looking at one of these

• Advertisement
Advertisement