Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is farming actually profitable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Here is one about farm profitability. Today I had to get two rollers for the garage door. They were 60 euro net.of vat.

Not here is the question about profit monitor for my beef do I allow them as cost at the end of the year. Now the garage is 80-90% domestic use. If I put them in the accounts they will deduct about a euro per bullock from the bottom line. I be crying in my soup if I do not make a profit. If I do not allow me them into my accounts and make a profit the tax man will take about 50% of the euro

My point exactly in an earlier post. You put it through the farm of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Yes, it was done here for a number of years and worked well. The twins and triplets were on swedes from the 5/6th of January to the beginning of March. Stocking rate depended on the crop but usually 60 ewes per acre. I never bothered with strip grazing. I gave them mineral licks, straw and a lie back onto grass.
    Good job and come March where they put inside and fed meal or left to lamb outside on just grass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Young95 wrote: »
    Good job and come March where they put inside and fed meal or left to lamb outside on just grass ?

Brought in once they were on the point of lambing and lambed in doors. If the weather was fine, i gave the field a run of a tine harrow and put cattle on it to eat up the last few bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,664 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Cavanjack wrote: »
    My point exactly in an earlier post. You put it through the farm of course.

But what about the scared profit monitor

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bass, I use to work where we made similar door rollers. Invoiced out for €4 a piece. The supplier charged you €30. The margin in farming compared to this, is a joke.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Bass, I use to work where we made similar door rollers. Invoiced out for €4 a piece. The supplier charged you €30. The margin in farming compared to this, is a joke.

It a top roller that runs on a track Hillaldam Coburn was the original make but now its a spurious cannot even come across them online. 30+vat, I suppose I should not claim the vat back either

Slava Ukrainii

Different type. Sorry to derail.

Different type. Sorry to derail.

TBH they are expensive enough at what was charged for them

Slava Ukrainii

The mark up on most parts like that in Ireland is ludicrous. Anywhere between 40 and 100% and more.
    Ah if they start paying us €80 tonne to sink carbon in the ground we'll all be in the money.

I know its a "how long is a piece of string?" question, but could a farm that size be profitable?? All I ever hear is how theres no money in farming.

Any farm can be profitable, how it's managed will decide that. Whether it'll make you a living or not is a different question. Personally I'd stay away from Teagasc and their advice, unless you are doing GC solely to qualify for young farmers or some other allowance.

• Advertisement

Sometimes I wonder do lads read the original/OP's. When doing English in school the teacher would get you to underline the main points in a piece of prose.

Main points are he a teacher, the farm is sixty acres, it's in Mayo, it's a sheep farm and the OP has limited farming experience.

First thing why would you give up a teaching job to go farming fulltime on sixty acres, why would you consider dairying or tillage on sixty acres not to mind in Mayo. I know they are into punishment up there. It not known as the God bless us county(they will never win a football all Ireland) for nothing

But he is looking for advice regarding farming a farm on a part-time basis

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Sometimes I wonder do lads read the original/OP's. When doing English in school the teacher would get you to underline the main points in a piece of prose.

Main points are he a teacher, the farm is sixty acres, it's in Mayo, it's a sheep farm and the OP has limited farming experience.

First thing why would you give up a teaching job to go farming fulltime on sixty acres, why would you consider dairying or tillage on sixty acres not to mind in Mayo. I know they are into punishment up there. It not known as the God bless us county(they will never win a football all Ireland) for nothing

Plus, the OP indicated he has no intention of going farming for the love of it. It would be a financial decision.

IMO in these circumstances, farming it yourself is not profitable - if you work out the time put in vs the financial returns and then compare this against renting the farm out tax free, for almost zero input...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

very harsh , you must be a meath man too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

davidk1394 wrote: »

The initial investment for sheep is low. All you need is a good fence, decent handling facilities, a shed and a good dog. If the ground is free draining, sow a winter crop like kale or swedes. It's expensive day one but it pays for itself during the winter. Sheep usually require more handling than cattle and it's harder to put money together with sheep than cattle. I sold all the sheep recently and I am going down the dairy route for 2021

For someone to buy stock this August with €550-600 / acre to spend, would there be much difference in gross margin from buying, 4 breeding ewes to lamb in March, or a store bullock to overwinter on silage and finish off grass in summer 2021, with facilities already in place to winter cattle or sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Don't get married, have kids or build a big house and you will be sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

JJayoo wrote: »
    Don't get married, have kids or build a big house and you will be sorted :)

Not even to a teacher

Plus, the OP indicated he has no intention of going farming for the love of it. It would be a financial decision.

IMO in these circumstances, farming it yourself is not profitable - if you work out the time put in vs the financial returns and then compare this against renting the farm out tax free, for almost zero input...

In area's like Mayo renting may not be an ideal option. There would not be a huge amount of dairy or tillage farmers. Most would be drystock, they have limited income from these systems. As such farmers are dependent on payments for making these farming systems profitable. Therefore rents of above 100/ acre would be the exception rather than the norm. As well OP intends to build a house on the farm so large area in forestry is not an option. However I would not rule out limited forestry on marginal land.

While some make a huge point about rental income being tax free, the tax liability on a farm can be shielded by being self employed. Normal expenditure such as car, electricity, phone etc can shield some income. Even the odd garage door roller. Long term if farm fairly profitable children working on the farm can be paid an income to put them through college. Tax free leasing income is not a huge advantage outside of dairy and tillage areas.

Slava Ukrainii

Dickie10 wrote: »
    very harsh , you must be a meath man too!

No not a Meath man just a realistic Kerryman in exile

Slava Ukrainii

In area's like Mayo renting may not be an ideal option. There would not be a huge amount of dairy or tillage farmers. Most would be drystock, they have limited income from these systems. As such farmers are dependent on payments for making these farming systems profitable. Therefore rents of above 100/ acre would be the exception rather than the norm. As well OP intends to build a house on the farm so large area in forestry is not an option. However I would not rule out limited forestry on marginal land.

While some make a huge point about rental income being tax free, the tax liability on a farm can be shielded by being self employed. Normal expenditure such as car, electricity, phone etc can shield some income. Even the odd garage door roller. Long term if farm fairly profitable children working on the farm can be paid an income to put them through college. Tax free leasing income is not a huge advantage outside of dairy and tillage areas.

I’d say rents under 100 an acre would be the exception. We had land leased out up until recently in the west at around 170 an acre for middle of the road land and we we always felt in hindsight we had let go a bit too cheap as it was a neighbour ( a sucker and sheep man no dairy around us).

I’d say rents under 100 an acre would be the exception. We had land leased out up until recently in the west at around 170 an acre for middle of the road land and we we always felt in hindsight we had let go a bit too cheap as it was a neighbour ( a sucker and sheep man no dairy around us).

Unless he is drawing fairly substantial SFP or farmnis technically leased by a young farmers he is at nothing. Know a fairly large drystock farmer near me renting at slightly more than that near me. He is at the pin of his collar to make any margin on it

You have to remember when leasing, GLAS is capped as is ANC, KT is the same fir 50 or 500 acres. While it may be worth more for you to farm it yourself it fairly hard to make a profit if first the first 100-200euro hast to go to someone else.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

At the moment I would be slow to lock up land into anything long term like trees. The signs are the EU will have a major shift on land/farming policy in 2022. This will be very focused on the environment.
    There is an article in the IFJ 15/02/20 about Ryhs Edwards a Welsh farmer addressing the National Sheep Association NI He had calculated that he was sequestering four times more CO2 than he was emitting.
    This will become a major income stream IWT.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

At the moment I would be slow to lock up land into anything long term like trees. The signs are the EU will have a major shift on land/farming policy in 2022. This will be very focused on the environment.
    There is an article in the IFJ 15/02/20 about Ryhs Edwards a Welsh farmer addressing the National Sheep Association NI He had calculated that he was sequestering four times more CO2 than he was emitting.

If that’s the case a lot of dairy men are going to be under serious pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

IMO that's going to be the new CAP where carbon will be promoted and paid for.

There will be trees and habitats etc which we all knocked 30 years ago. That's where the money will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

kk.man wrote: »
    IMO that's going to be the new CAP where carbon will be promoted and paid for.

There will be trees and habitats etc which we all knocked 30 years ago. That's where the money will be.

It was told to me that it'll be a certain % of land will have to be in ditches and certain % of that will have to have trees on it to qualify for your bps.
    After that or if that who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

There are any amount of dry stock farmers in mayo Willing to rent land. They usually put the dairy men out by the side

yea i often see lietrim farmers taking land up around me here, i often thaought it was mad.like its 2 hours away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

yea i often see lietrim farmers taking land up around me here, i often thaought it was mad.like its 2 hours away

Westmeath?
    They get 5 months extra grazing for cheaper rent compared to something beside them

south Meath

any reason why it would be cheaper than beside them? land quailty not be better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

any reason why it would be cheaper than beside them? land quailty not be better?
    Less interest locally

Advertisement