Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training a Clematis to go up, then out

Options
  • 27-04-2020 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭

Hi all, we're trying to grow Clematis to screen off a high fence in our garden.

It's already run straight up a wall, which doesn't need screening and now we want it to spread out over a 1m high section of fence.

Photos here:
    emsstyr.jpg
    mECBUHf.jpg
    NUMH8m1.jpg

I'm now at a point where I feel I need to intervene to ensure coverage, what should I do? I have no idea where to cut it to fan it out.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

When training a climber you should always train it horizontally rather than vertically as the plant will naturally try to grow vertically towards the light.
    By training the plant horizontally it will continuously try to grow vertically towards the light giving you more plant to cover a space.
    Hope I'm explaining that clearly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

The key thing with Clematis is NOT to try and bend old wood. New shoots you can put where you like but once the wood starts to harden bending it into a new position will often kill it.

I'd cut it down and as above train it laterally down low so all the new growth can grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I find clematis are tricky. This is the first year that I can say mine are healthy because of the lockdown I have time to give to them! Make sure to plant it very deeply they like cool roots, they’re hungry plants too so a regular feed and watering is a must and pay attention to what group it belongs to (1,2,3) as this tells how and when to prune. All these things should contribute to a healthy vigorous climber. (So I’m told anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

GinSoaked wrote: »
    I'd cut it down and as above train it laterally down low so all the new growth can grow up.

But in this case the wall itself doesn't need to be covered, so couldn't it be trained along the top of the wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Lumen wrote: »
    But in this case the wall itself doesn't need to be covered, so couldn't it be trained along the top of the wall?

Sorry should have given more info first time around. You don't really want all the growth sat on the top of the railings where its more prone to wind damage, no matter what you do most of the growth will find its way upwards.

I would have thought it was fairly obvious that it will be easy to tie into the bottom of the railings so thats where I'd start training it along. The uprights will then probably provide support for new growth.

Also it looks like a form of evergreen Clematis armandii (Apple blossom ?) which can be quite vigorous, you normally prune after flowering, far easier to go along say the middle of the railings and cut back everything than to try and sort out a mass of growth all sitting on the top. Re: pruning, you don't need to prune it but if growing well it may improve flowering and will soon romp back over the top of the fence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Sorry should have given more info first time around. You don't really want all the growth sat on the top of the railings where its more prone to wind damage, no matter what you do most of the growth will find its way upwards.

I would have thought it was fairly obvious that it will be easy to tie into the bottom of the railings so thats where I'd start training it along. The uprights will then probably provide support for new growth.

Also it looks like a form of evergreen Clematis armandii (Apple blossom ?) which can be quite vigorous, you normally prune after flowering, far easier to go along say the middle of the railings and cut back everything than to try and sort out a mass of growth all sitting on the top. Re: pruning, you don't need to prune it but if growing well it may improve flowering and will soon romp back over the top of the fence.

Apple blossom it is, thanks for the tips

Advertisement