Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can an employer force employees to change to work from home

Options
  • 27-04-2020 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

My employer has decided to close it's one of its offices in cork and is telling us that some of us will have to work from home full time from now on.
    We have the ability to do this at present and are doing it during the lockdown which is fine but I have no interest in doing it long term.
    Should we get redundancy if they force it on us and we don't agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

Connavar wrote:
    My employer has decided to close it's one of its offices in cork and is telling us that some of us will have to work from home full time from now on. We have the ability to do this at present and are doing it during the lockdown which is fine but I have no interest in doing it long term. Should we get redundancy if they force it on us and we don't agree?

Most contracts will have a clause saying that the office location is subject to change. To be honest I am not sure how binding it would be but prob a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Perhaps , if the office is moving to your home, you might change your employer a rent for use of your home?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s an interesting scenario.

It’s not a redundancy scenario because your job still exists.

I’m not sure that a location may change clause as mentioned above would be enforceable either because the employer isn’t providing an alternative location to move to.

Someone mentioned charging the employer, that income would be taxable and I’d expect would represent a change of use from residential to commercial which would require planning and there would likely be insurance questions to be asked.

I would wonder about constructive dismissal.
    If you continually appeal the move and no resolution is reached and you feel you’ve been forced to a situation where you have no other option but to resign them that would fit a constructive dismissal framework.

It’s not for the faint hearted though. And you need to demonstrate that you exhausted every possible avenue of recourse before resigning your position.

The last thing I’d add is to review your reasons for rejecting work from home, can some arrangement not be made to make this work ??

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s an interesting scenario.

It’s not a redundancy scenario because your job still exists.

I’m not sure that a location may change clause as mentioned above would be enforceable either because the employer isn’t providing an alternative location to move to.

Someone mentioned charging the employer, that income would be taxable and I’d expect would represent a change of use from residential to commercial which would require planning and there would likely be insurance questions to be asked.

I would wonder about constructive dismissal.
    If you continually appeal the move and no resolution is reached and you feel you’ve been forced to a situation where you have no other option but to resign them that would fit a constructive dismissal framework.

It’s not for the faint hearted though. And you need to demonstrate that you exhausted every possible avenue of recourse before resigning your position.

The last thing I’d add is to review your reasons for rejecting work from home, can some arrangement not be made to make this work ??
    Honestly I just don't like the isolation of it. Video calls are great and all but don't create the same connections that meeting in person every day does.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

It's am interesting question. I know of colleagues who live in house shares with 3/4 other people and just don't have the space or a proper desk to work from home. I was under the impression that if WFH was to become permanent they onus is on the employer to undergo a health and safety assessment of the employees proposed work space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

rock22 wrote: »
    Perhaps , if the office is moving to your home, you might change your employer a rent for use of your home?

There are tax implications in doing this and it would defeat the employer's goal of reducing office space.

Something useful would be:
    Revenue allows an employer to make payments up to €3.20 per day. (employer has no obligation)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Jim Root wrote: »
    It's am interesting question. I know of colleagues who live in house shares with 3/4 other people and just don't have the space or a proper desk to work from home. I was under the impression that if WFH was to become permanent they onus is on the employer to undergo a health and safety assessment of the employees proposed work space.

It sounds like the company like the idea and are half assing it. But it's also a significant change to the OP's working conditions, not supplying a office.

Most work from home positions have allowances for broadband and equipment(desks/chairs...etc). And other expectations, like a seperate locked space in which to work from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

we may have an option to more or less permanently WFH also. the company is doing this on a case by case basis but one thing that is being discussed is a home office kit-out one-off payment as people have said that, if they need to WFH, they need a desk, office chair, two monitors, docking station, keyboard etc. New hires would be expected to have their own home office equipment as the job would be advertised as WFH but existing folk need assistance in the transition.

Isolation is a major problem with WFH Jobs, there's tons of referable articles about it. I would suggest that the WFH deal include regular-in person meetings or gatherings. Id also suggest you request the company survey and ensure all employees have proper ergonomics for working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

another option is to use shared office space... there are quite a few places out there nowadays where you work in an office environment and have human interaction, but they are not your co-workers. You get proper desk, chair, broadband etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

another option is to use shared office space... there are quite a few places out there nowadays where you work in an office environment and have human interaction, but they are not your co-workers. You get proper desk, chair, broadband etc.

Depending on the industry, there can be huge GDPR / company-data-security issues with these places. You have no idea who can overhear your calls or see your screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Connavar wrote: »
    My employer has decided to close it's one of its offices in cork and is telling us that some of us will have to work from home full time from now on.
    We have the ability to do this at present and are doing it during the lockdown which is fine but I have no interest in doing it long term.
    Should we get redundancy if they force it on us and we don't agree?

I wouldn't expect redundancy.
    But I would expect compensation for the extra electricity and broadband to be subsidised for you.
    Also providing you with a chair a desk and IT equipment to make an office, you cannot be living in a temp solution like a kitchen counter or dining table if its the permanent solution.
    Also you should request a team meeting be in place once/twice a month for people to attend in person, when all of this is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

antix80 wrote: »
    There are tax implications in doing this and it would defeat the employer's goal of reducing office space.

Something useful would be:
    Revenue allows an employer to make payments up to €3.20 per day. (employer has no obligation)

bear in mind if the employer won't make any contribution (which most won't), you are still entitled to claim tax relief on 10% of your annual home heating/electricity/home internet costs.

Thanks everyone. Have a meeting with hr about it next week and just wanted to go in with a bit more knowledge.
    I wont be staying in the company if this is enforced so kind of feels like constructive dismissal to me but I know that is a big stretch.
    The idea of working in one of the shared office spaces is interesting but honestly if they arent paying for it I will be better off just moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Honestly I just don't like the isolation of it. ....

It's an interesting question. It's raised a few scenerio's that I hadn't considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thanks everyone. Have a meeting with hr about it next week and just wanted to go in with a bit more knowledge.
    I wont be staying in the company if this is enforced so kind of feels like constructive dismissal to me but I know that is a big stretch.
    The idea of working in one of the shared office spaces is interesting but honestly if they arent paying for it I will be better off just moving on.

I’d go in with the attitude that you are under zero obligation to provide the company with a workplace/workstation at home. You accepted the job based on the fact that it was an office job, pay of xxxxx per annum, a working location in a suitable professional environment at xx address. Your home is NOT a suitable work environment and it cannot be made one, will not be made one.

No fûcking way would I make my home a work-base. Work and home should be separated 100%. Otherwise you’ll have phones going off at all hours with “ sorry, just log onto your email for a min I need your opinion on xyz”... you’ll be watching a football game with friends and or family and having to put up with that sheet. Nope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

OP, When the economy collapses, and it's probably going to, you may regret deciding not to adapt.

Working from home is not so bad, I've been doing it for years now.

Those that show initiative are most likely to survive. Die hards will certainly suffer. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I think you probably need to take a step back and realise that normal as you knew it is gone and probably will not return.

This virus is likely to be a problem for say at least two years and working from is going to be a thing that most people get used to doing and going back into the office will not be popular with most people nor with many companies who will see it as a cost saving opportunity.

If other potential job offers involves a high level of WFH, where would you prefer to be? with your current employer or somewhere else?

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I think you probably need to take a step back and realise that normal as you knew it is gone and probably will not return.

This virus is likely to be a problem for say at least two years and working from is going to be a thing that most people get used to doing and going back into the office will not be popular with most people nor with many companies who will see it as a cost saving opportunity.

If other potential job offers involves a high level of WFH, where would you prefer to be? with your current employer or somewhere else?
    If other job offers required wfh i wouldnt move. Its my reason for wanting the move in the first place.
    And I know this virus will be around a while. But the company are leading this as the permanent approach, not just while the virus is impacting.

From the amount of complaining I am hearing about the move and complete lack of people happy about it I am pretty sure I am with the popular opinion in the office on this one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I am pretty sure I am with the popular opinion in the office on this one

Popular does't make it right.

If your popular choice is followed by everyone else as well and causes your employer to go under and shut the doors, where are you left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

There is zero chance this will be constructive dismissal unless you are the only one effected. Brandishing that terminology in a HR meeting would not be the best strategy.

You best approach is to review the logistics of it all (desk, training, chairs etc) and the suitability of your home office and also talk about alternative options as you perform best in a office environment blah blah blah you get the jist of it, appear positive but seek alternative solutions. We shut an office last year and a small team wanted a office, we placed them in a flexible office/incubator hub and they are really happy and my company save some money so there maybe other options.

My company are implementing a policy of 50% attendance in the offices once we start returning, we are going to be telling 80% of staff initially they will work from home and start a consultation period, the number will end up at 50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

Strumms wrote: »
    No fûcking way would I make my home a work-base. Work and home should be separated 100%. Otherwise you’ll have phones going off at all hours with “ sorry, just log onto your email for a min I need your opinion on xyz”... you’ll be watching a football game with friends and or family and having to put up with that sheet. Nope.

Setting boundaries for work/life balance is a completely separate issue. I've been working from home for a while, and at quitting time the work laptop goes off and I don't look at a damn thing that's work-related until the next morning. If your boss tries to call you after hours, they can talk to your voicemail and you can follow up on the next working day.

Steve wrote: »
    Popular does't make it right.

If your popular choice is followed by everyone else as well and causes your employer to go under and shut the doors, where are you left?
    Was more referring to the point made saying most people wont want to go back to the office.
    And with my employer, they are expanding their headcount now and are actually making more money from the crisis so dont think thats a worry

krissovo wrote: »
    There is zero chance this will be constructive dismissal unless you are the only one effected. Brandishing that terminology in a HR meeting would not be the best strategy.

You best approach is to review the logistics of it all (desk, training, chairs etc) and the suitability of your home office and also talk about alternative options as you perform best in a office environment blah blah blah you get the jist of it, appear positive but seek alternative solutions. We shut an office last year and a small team wanted a office, we placed them in a flexible office/incubator hub and they are really happy and my company save some money so there maybe other options.

My company are implementing a policy of 50% attendance in the offices once we start returning, we are going to be telling 80% of staff initially they will work from home and start a consultation period, the number will end up at 50%
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah honestly I knew the constructive dismissal one was a huge stretch, hence leaving it to see if anyone said it actually was plausible.
    I really dont mind it being like this while the virus is at large as I understand that its required. Its the permancy of it that annoys me

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I know OP doesn't like working from home, but I can't see ANY office being able to open up properly in the foreseeable future. What do you propose as an alternative?

MarkR wrote: »
    I know OP doesn't like working from home, but I can't see ANY office being able to open up properly in the foreseeable future. What do you propose as an alternative?
    Think we were posting at the same time. As I mentioned above, its not the work from home being implemented now that I have a problem with. Its the fact that they are making it permanent

rock22 wrote: »

there's a WFH tax credit iirc, it's about €3.20.
    That and the employer providing a desk, proper chair etc so you are ergonomically sound and that's that I reckon.
    If anyone doesn't like it go job hunting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If other job offers required wfh i wouldnt move. Its my reason for wanting the move in the first place.
    And I know this virus will be around a while. But the company are leading this as the permanent approach, not just while the virus is impacting.

From the amount of complaining I am hearing about the move and complete lack of people happy about it I am pretty sure I am with the popular opinion in the office on this one

I doubt popular will come into it... presumably if they have made the decision to close it down, they have already considered the possibility that some will say no and it is not an issue for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

OP living the dream and doesn't even realize.

Isolation... pffft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

FFVII wrote: »
    OP living the dream and doesn't even realize.

Isolation... pffft.

I love working from home myself, but it's definitely not for everyone. Some folks need the social contact or in-person collaboration that's only possible in an office environment, and some have houses full of noisy kids/pets/family/etc. and find it difficult to get their work done with the constant distractions at home. Not everyone is a reclusive introvert like us... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Augeo wrote: »
    there's a WFH tax credit iirc, it's about €3.20.
    That and the employer providing a desk, proper chair etc so you are ergonomically sound and that's that I reckon.
    If anyone doesn't like it go job hunting.

The tax credit is nowhere near that. Employers can (but aren't obliged to) pay employees €3.20 tax free per day to WFH, and if they don't then you can claim relief on a very small amount of your home energy bills (unlikely to benefit you to anything near the tune of €3.20 per day) provided you have a letter stating the employer require you to WFH.

Advertisement