Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBD Protected No Claims - windscreen question

Options
  • 27-04-2020 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've fully comp with protected no claims with FBD on my car.

Last year I had a claim which was 100% my fault (nasty supermarket tip with a bollard in my blind spot) and cost circa €2,000 to get fixed.

I renewed again with FBD who in fairness didn't increase the premium so all was good.

Today a few local teenage 15-17 year old scumbags who think it's cool/brave whatever to damage other peoples property threw two large blocks onto the car as it was parked breaking the windscreen.

This clearly isn't an accident and I've no intention of trying to pull a fast one but I'm a bit wary of even asking FBG what the story is cover wise in case it gets flagged as a 2nd "accident/incident" and impact my no claims protection as I think I'm allowed 2 accidents in any 18 month period or something like that.

In the normal run of events would criminal damage be something I could claim for (it's been reported to the Gardai etc) and if so would it be treated as a bog standard windscreen replacement therefore not affecting no claims etc or am I just better off sorting out a new windscreen myself and not involving FBD at all?

Appreciate any steer you guys can give me and if anyone can recommend a windscreen replacement provider in the Sandyford area who doesn't go too hard on private paying customers that'd be even better :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

If its only the windscreen needs replacing then it wont have any impact on your policy. Is there potentially additional damage that needs to be repaired- wipers, damage to the bonnet etc? If so, you will be looking at probably the claim being treated as a malicious damage claim which would go on your record as having two claims in a two year period, not good for shopping around and possibly not good for your next renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

If its only the windscreen needs replacing then it wont have any impact on your policy. Is there potentially additional damage that needs to be repaired- wipers, damage to the bonnet etc? If so, you will be looking at probably the claim being treated as a malicious damage claim which would go on your record as having two claims in a two year period, not good for shopping around and possibly not good for your next renewal.

Thanks Statutory Ape. My untrained eye reckons it's just the windscreen and if anything else was needed I'd be inclined to pay for it myself for the reasons you outlined. Hard to really know without getting someone professional to assess it.

Windscreen1588114095.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Claiming for a windscreen won’t affect your NCD but insurers do ask at renewal time if you’ve had any claims including for windscreens in the last 5 years

Advertisement