Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you agree with mandatory vaccinations?

Options

Comments

Are there any particular services youd like to remove? Sanitation? Access to food? Would you be demanding they cannot go to a supermarket? Perhaps easier just to to round them all up and put them in a camp?

To use an example, children who don't have required vaccines for no legitimate reason are currently rejected from creches. That's not draconian...

While I'm lucky enough to be able to avail of vaccines, I do have a compromised immune system. So I get how the more vulnerable feel. You have idiots who are to happy to allow them to suffer because of conspiracies.

Why do you think the likes of Measles are back? We have had the opportunity the eliminate but due to views such as your own. It started to thrive again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I wouldn't force anyone to take a vaccine but here is what I'd do:

Anyone who refuses to get vaccinated for non-medical reasons should be entered into a database listing all the vaccines they have refused for themselves or their children. This information can be accessed by the HSE, health insurers, educational facilities and employers.
    If a person on this list contracts any of the diseases that could have been prevented, they will bare the full cost of any medical treatment received over the course of their lifetimes or their unvaccinated children until the child reaches 18. If the child subsequently gets vaccinated as an adult they will be removed from the list, if not they will remain on the list but will be liable for costs and not their parents.

Also, if it is learned that someone on this list or their children is found to have given a disease to someone else who is not on the list, they will be on the hook for that persons medical costs and the medical costs of anyone else not on the list who contracts it further down the chain of infection.
    If the person cannot afford the costs then any assets will be seized and sold at auction. If the assets are insufficient to cover the cost then subsequent to asset seizure the remaining debt will be taken from any income until the debt is paid or the person dies. Declaring bankruptcy will not absolve the debt.

Any business can refuse to hire someone on the list and educational facilities can refuse anyone on the list from their buildings or campus. Online learning would be provided for children on the list until the age of 18 but any additional costs of this will be at the parents cost, deducted at source. If the parents can't afford the costs then the child will need to be home schooled.
    Any business or educational facility found to have allowed a person on the list to work on site or attend classes will be open to lawsuits for any illness contracted from a person on the list.

People should have the choice to not take the vaccines, but they should also feel as much of the consequences as society can legally inflict if it harms any of the rest of us.

Complicated, choice over vaccines should be removed from parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

To use an example, children who don't have required vaccines for no legitimate reason are currently rejected from creches. That's not draconian...

While I'm lucky enough to be able to avail of vaccines, I do have a compromised immune system. So I get how the more vulnerable feel. You have idiots who are to happy to allow them to suffer because of conspiracies.

Why do you think the likes of Measles are back? We have had the opportunity the eliminate but due to views such as your own. It started to thrive again.

1. You have no clue what my views are. I've already told you I would support vaccinations and willingly get one. What I could never support is a government mandate for any medical intervention.

2. Children are not rejected, thankfully, from creches if the are not vaccinated. Perhaps some, but that is a choice form the business.

3. Thrive? No. Unless you have a different meaning of the word.

4. What conspiracy? I have worked in the industry for years. There is no conspiracy. But there are private interests at play consistently, and those private interests are interested in themselves, not you and me. And they will market, PR, lobby etc., to support their private interests.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's hard to make vaccination itself mandatory. BUT, vaccination needs to be required to protect others. So schools must insist teachers and students are vaccinated, same for colleges

A cattery won't take my cat without her vaccine cert... why should a school be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Ironically the anti Vax clowns will more or less force people who were on the fence to get the vaccine to protect against the aforementioned 🀡

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote: »
    It's hard to make vaccination itself mandatory. BUT, vaccination needs to be required to protect others. So schools must insist teachers and students are vaccinated, same for colleges

A cattery won't take my cat without her vaccine cert... why should a school be any different?

"Remove education for people who object to government mandated medical interventions because we do it for cats"

No bother taking a Corona virus vaccine if post 10 years its proven to be safe. I certainly will not be taking the first one or two off the manufacturing line. And anyone here advocating for that or draconian punishments for those not wanting to has a fundamental misunderstanding of vaccine research, efficacy and manufacturing, and needs serious, serious looking at.

Yes, this is what it boils down to. Pure selfishness, let everybody else take it and I'll reap the benefits.

This only works if nobody else is on your bandwagon, you should really be encouraging everybody to take the vaccine.

Otherwise you risk getting the disease, which will be a lot worse than a bit of a sore arm for a few days.

"Remove education for people who object to government mandated medical interventions because we do it for cats"

Well education for anti vaccers does seem to be a bit of a waste of money.

Well education for anti vaccers does seem to be a bit of a waste of money.

Surely if the education worked then they wouldn't be 'anti vaccers'?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Unvaccinated people in a room with others represent a risk. Yes, the same as with cats.

• Advertisement

Yes, this is what it boils down to. Pure selfishness, let everybody else take it and I'll reap the benefits.

This only works if nobody else is on your bandwagon, you should really be encouraging everybody to take the vaccine.

Otherwise you risk getting the disease, which will be a lot worse than a bit of a sore arm for a few days.

Free riders, yes. But I am not suggesting that. Continue on the strawman args...

"Our"

Yes, it's called democracy.

Free riders, yes. But I am not suggesting that. Continue on the strawman args...

What straw man. You said you would take it in 10 years time when it was "proven" safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,319 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Do whatever you like. I have no doubt vaccine rollout will be implemented in tandem with a tagging system (probably digital) that limits your access to public spaces. So you can stew in your conspiracy theories at home, while the rest of us move on to embrace the post covid 19 world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Timmy mallett, what forms of restrictions, if any, do you consider appropriate for people who exercise their right not to get vaccinated (for themselves or their children)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

robinph wrote: »
    Your choice not to vaccinate. Our choice to take away access to the services provided by society.

On the Covid running thread you repeatedly took the position that runners would literally have to stop and cough in each other’s mouths to pass on this virus.

If it’s so difficult to catch, why would you want to enforce social restrictions on people who aren’t vaccinated ?

I have no issue with vaccinations in general and my kids had all their jabs growing up but I wouldn’t be in a rush to get the first batch of this vaccine.

As a baby, my daughter was given a vaccine that had been produced from the serum of someone who subsequently died from CJD. We were told there was minimal risk but “minimal” isn’t good enough when it’s your own kid. She’s 21 now and fine thankfully but it did open my eyes to the fact that there are always potential risks and ultimately you have to do what’s right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

People should have the choice not to vaccinate, though I suspect they are counting on everyone else getting the vaccination so they don't have to take on any perceived risk themselves by doing so..
    However if they choose to do so and subsequently get infected the government shouldn't have to pick up the tab and their insurer (if they have one) should have right of refusal, why should the rest of society pay for such a selfish choice?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Vaccination is one of the must amazing success stories of mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

I would have been against mandatory vaccination before and still would be for the traditional vaccines, even though I strongly believe in vaccination. You can't legislate against stupidity basically.

As regards Covid-19 I'd hope that it doesn't have to be made mandatory. I think there probably will be sufficient uptake voluntarily assuming safe vaccines are developed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

As many have said, I don't support mandatory vaccines. But if necessary it is fair that certain privileges are only extended to the vaccinated. You can't expect to be allowed to go around endangering people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I wouldnt be rushing out to try the first vaccine as I am not in a vulnerable group

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I probably wouldn't agree with mandatory vaccinations. Been a selfish cunt isn't a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Can definitely see your world being smaller if you don't get vaccinated.

The vaccine may not be made compulsory, but if they legislate to allow some 'discrimination' on the basis of not having the vaccine then it's a game changer.
    Maybe the rugby leagues and such contact sports will only allow vaccinated players. Some jobs that deal with vulnerable people may not be open to you.
    GPs and Hospitals may put you on a different queue. VHI etc may be able to load premiums.
    Perhaps some countries may not allow tourists who don't have the vaccine.

Loads of things you may have to accept if you stick to the anti-position.

silverharp wrote: »
    I wouldnt be rushing out to try the first vaccine as I am not in a vulnerable group
    Would you not like to be in a position where you are less likely to infect someone else who is?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

plodder wrote: »
    Would you not like to be in a position where you are less likely to infect someone else who is?

When a vaccine becomes available the first people it will be offered to are those in vulnerable groups. There most likely won't be 5 million vaccines available in Ireland in month one. It will be for the vulnerable, their carers and healthcare workers first. Then it will possibly be recommended for people with less risky underlying conditions and essential workers in public facing roles. Eventually it will be rolled out for everyone but if you are a healthy person under 50 with a job that doesn't massively endanger you, you could be waiting several months for a vaccine after it becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Any truth to the idea that the whole anti vax movement is a conspiracy by a company that manufacturers childrens coffins. Fewer vaccinated children is good for business. Wake up sheeple.

iguana wrote: »
    When a vaccine becomes available the first people it will be offered to are those in vulnerable groups. There most likely won't be 5 million vaccines available in Ireland in month one. It will be for the vulnerable, their carers and healthcare workers first. Then it will possibly be recommended for people with less risky underlying conditions and essential workers in public facing roles. Eventually it will be rolled out for everyone but if you are a healthy person under 50 with a job that doesn't massively endanger you, you could be waiting several months for a vaccine after it becomes available.
    That's all fine, but there isn't just a single pool of vulnerable people fixed for all time. It doesn't apply in this case, but one reason why measles vaccination is so important is that new born infants can't be given the vaccine and are therefore vulnerable until they are old enough to receive it. In other words, I think it's still reasonable that people might get vaccinated for this disease in order to protect their own relatives in the future as they get older for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

I will kick this off I will not be taken it end of story and I will not be answering to ANYBODY my body my choice.

How many so called PRO CHOICE yes voters will be screaming at people to take their vaccine.

Bill Gates in behind funding seven of these things in development I would not trust that creepy ******* as far as I would throw him.

Funny his own children don't get the jabs.

I will not be responding to insults or name calling I will again state.

My body my choice.

I would be interested in reading how others stand on this.:)

Shouldn't you be down at the 4 courts with the Gemmaroids?

Surely if the education worked then they wouldn't be 'anti vaccers'?

They have already been educated, it didn't work. No point throwing good money after bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

No to compulsory and yes to mandatory (once we have one that's safe).
    There should be repercussions for not getting vaccines, removed from public schooling for children not vaccinated (by choice).
    It should be checkable against your PPS number, a simple "vaccinated", "not vaccinated" and "allergic" or some wording as such.

If you are a risk to the general population and those who cannot be vaccinated then you should be removed from the potential of dealing with them in public facing positions.

You should of course have a choice to not get vaccinated but you should then have the consequences.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement