Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid not enough for you, try Kawasaki Disease

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

I have two kids myself so lets keep the fingers crossed. Im saying no one knows the long term effects on kids.. I just don’t believe that Covid-19 has no ill effects on their long term health. Do you?

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I believe covid 19 has no ill effects on the long term health of the majority of children who get it.

I hope I don't read this back in the future and realise I was wrong.

But at the moment children are rarely presenting with serious illness, rarely dying and mild cases don't seem to have any long term effects.

As of now this awful virus affects is most risky to our older population.

Let us hope that remains the way until the virus has been beaten.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its a reasonable question given an unreasonable tone. Data from Hong Kong implies there is likely lung tissue damage to young people, data leaking through from the states that some young people are immediately affected but I won't go into why i think they are missing a trick there on what they consider an underlying condition. The issue in this thread is that badly affected seems to only imply death. The truth is that badly affected could mean many more things and that it is too early to tell although I'd be broadly optimistic for those who are young, in good shape with no underlying condtions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I had a feeling there would be long term effects for children affected by Covid! How can they even consider opening up schools now?!

I dont believe that schools will reopen. 3 months missed out of one school year isnt really a big deal especially considering that most schools are engaging with students and parents through online learning and homeschooling. Schools wont reopen until September at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Schools reopening before September or October was idiotic flag waving by the government. It's not happening, it was never happening, how anyone thinks different is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

trapp wrote: »
    Italy 24000 deaths 2 children die

Ireland 1000 deaths 0 children die

I have to strongly refrain from using foul language in my response

If there is one thing to be thankful for it is that children are not badly affected.

quite simply cop on for yourself.

Not sure why you are taking it on yourself to slap down many comment with ott responses such as the above

The current issue relates to possible complications - not death - potentially linked to covid-19 infection

Notably there is an existing body medical evidence which shows that some young children whilst being asymptomatic for Covid (positive when tested) actually showed lung damage similar to that seen in adult symptomatic cases of the disease.

The Lancet published details of children who were asymptomatic yet were found to have ground-glass lung opacities identified by CT scan (compatible with changes seen in viral pneumonia)

Afaik - the concern is for lung injury in the form of scaring and potentially the development of pulmonary fibrosis

It is possibly to early to know if any such organ damage will be long lasting or even to categorically state that children will not suffer long term damage.

Thst said I do hope that the recent case of Kawasaki disease in children linked to Covid-19 turns out to be otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

What sort or Muppet do you have to be to not have been coccooning your kids already?

For many essential and front line workers it is impossible to cocoon there kids, because there is always a risk they could bring back the disease to the household unknowingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So it seems there has been a rise in cases of atypical Kawasaki Disease symptoms among children in London, no definitive link to CoVid but was mentioned at the Downing St. breifing.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-gps-sent-urgent-alert-about-increase-in-children-with-serious-covid-19-symptoms-11979584
    Kawaski disease is treatable. Also people rarely get it more than once. Its not contagious either. Its a reaction to do with the immune system.

It also has a lower fatality rate than even covid does. And as i said its way more treatable. Its been around a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

China is walking a thin line isn't it really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

khalessi wrote: »
    vomitting diarrohea

I really hope you missed a comma there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

unhappys10 wrote: »
    I really hope you missed a comma there.

Thank you, I did lol, but it is possible to vomit faeces, for different reasons though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

khalessi wrote: »
    Thank you, I did lol, but it is possible to vomit faeces, for different reasons though

Now that is terrifying!!

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Now that is terrifying!!

I know its completely sh*t :D

We have to be careful not to assign characteristics to this virus that are actually things that happen with a lot of viruses. Post viral Auto-immune conditions occur regularly after a virus. Sometimes one where the patient has not been impacted visibly by the virus itself at all. As well as Kawasaki disease, Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus and MS are some of the conditions who at least in some instances can be triggered after a virus. These complications are rare but do occur. The large number of people infected in a small period of time by SARS 2-CoV may simply be resulting in a glut of some of these rare complications, rather than the virus itself being responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Italy 24000 deaths 2 children die

Ireland 1000 deaths 0 children die

I have to strongly refrain from using foul language in my response

If there is one thing to be thankful for it is that children are not badly affected.

quite simply cop on for yourself.

cool your jets there chief.
    You haven't been made honorary mod in here or anything like it, so maybe do as you preach and cop on yourself.

This Kawasaki disease seems to becoming more prevalent. European wide health alert issued.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/kawasaki-ireland-cases-5100401-May2020/

Now known as Paediatric Multisystem Imflammatory Syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

Peer-reviewed garbage appearing in the Lancet about this.

Sensationalism and click-bait is leaching from media to academia.

Don't be afraid.

https://twitter.com/boriquagato/status/1261279459837018120

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

GreeBo wrote: »
    Pity you didn't tell anyone about your feeling...:rolleyes:

4ebe2a351054a3e0e75d197168acd5ab.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nermal wrote: »

Don't be afraid.

Funny enough a widely read editorial in the same Lancet a few years back warned and bemoaned the current state of much of medical peer reviewed studies out there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Don't be afraid.

Don't be afraid, no. But certainly be aware of the potential dangers.

• Advertisement

Don't be afraid.

Just wondering but what is the sensationalism and click bait?
    Are there not more kids than normal being affected by this disease at the moment or is that a lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

Wibbs wrote: »
    Funny enough a widely read editorial in the same Lancet a few years back warned and bemoaned the current state of much of medical peer reviewed studies out there.

"The case against science is straightforward: much of the scientific literature, perhaps half, may simply be untrue. Afflicted by studies with small sample sizes, tiny effects, invalid exploratory analyses, and flagrant conflicts of interest, together with an obsession for pursuing fashionable trends of dubious importance, science has taken a turn towards darkness."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(15)60696-1/fulltext

Ioannidis was also a trailblazer here - this is his famous 'Why Most Published Research Findings Are False' paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182327/

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

tom1ie wrote: »
    This Kawasaki disease seems to becoming more prevalent. European wide health alert issued.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/kawasaki-ireland-cases-5100401-May2020/

Scary as so much we don't know about Covid, no one is safe and immune

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I believe covid 19 has no ill effects on the long term health of the majority of children who get it.

I hope I don't read this back in the future and realise I was wrong.

But at the moment children are rarely presenting with serious illness, rarely dying and mild cases don't seem to have any long term effects.

As of now this awful virus affects is most risky to our older population.

Let us hope that remains the way until the virus has been beaten.

Whats a few kids eh, plenty more where they came from right?

No one has any idea about the long term impact of this on kids or anyone else for that matter and as far as I know, once a virus triggers something like this you can not un ring the bell! Scare mongering indeed!

But hey, deny, deny, deny will ensure that there are no long term costs to the government with regards to any long term or life long impacts to the kids and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Gov.ie website says children under 13 shouldn't wear face coverings... Shouldn't those who can wear them should? Why is this not mandatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

A quick Google shows severe vitamin D deficiency in Kawasaki disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Podge201 wrote: »
    Well done the Chinese.

Kawasaki are actually Japanese

• Advertisement

A quick Google shows severe vitamin D deficiency in Kawasaki disease.

It is not Kawasaki disease.

It is very rare and children if they are going to get it, generally get it 4-6 weeks after contact with convid infection. IF they get it seek medical advice

The condition, named Paediatric Inflammatory Multisystem Syndrome, resembles a mix of toxic shock and Kawasaki disease, the latter of which overwhelmingly affects children. The disease causes inflammation of the blood vessels and in some cases attacks the heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctN34C1fLWo

John Campbell on new syndrome in Kids
    At 8:53 clinical features to look out for

Advertisement