Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs New Zealand

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

so it's back in NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-breaks-out-again-in-new-zealand-after-102-days-12047011
    Coronavirus: First outbreak in New Zealand after 102 days sees Auckland put into lockdown
    Auckland will be placed into "Level Three" restrictions after four people from one family in the city contracted COVID-19.

Those in Auckland are being urged to work from home and only leave their houses for "essential movements" such as going to the supermarket or local park.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Few of us at work heard this and we were all like that might shut them smug ****ers up, is that what we have become. Anyway that should be the end of this zero virus island bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I wonder will they find many more? This is the first test of their policy, it was always bound to happen and I wouldn't say it's a failure just yet. Depends on how many more cases they find.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Like I said in another post, once the Genie is out of the bottle with Covid you can't put the lid on until a Vaccine is found, it's like a forest fire in the summer, you can put in fire breaks, stop people from going to the forest, have fire crews all around the place, but all it takes is one or two small sparks to start the fire again...
    This shows that all countries can do is manage the response to the various flare ups of the virus, and that strict isolation, lockdowns, travel bans are just like cutting down some of the trees to prevent the fire... all you have done at the end of it is destroyed the forest and what remains of it can still catch fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭httpete

niallo27 wrote: »
    Few of us at work heard this and we were all like that might shut them smug ****ers up, is that what we have become. Anyway that should be the end of this zero virus island bull****.

They will easily handle it. The numbers are so low it allows them to have excellent control of the situation. And then they will be back up and running with everything fully open again while we continue messing about. Just like Taiwan. The virus is a non-issue in Taiwan, a very densely packed country of 24 million.

httpete wrote: »
    They will easily handle it. The numbers are so low it allows them to have excellent control of the situation. And then they will be back up and running with everything fully open again while we continue messing about. Just like Taiwan. The virus is a non-issue in Taiwan, a very densely packed country of 24 million.

There has likely been a bit of complacency there though among the general public - someone getting a mild case may assume "it cant be covid because everyone knows there are no cases here", and heads of to work and the pub as normal. And maybe that happens 2 or 3 steps back the infection chain and before you know there is a significant cluster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

A few pints at lunch might do ye no harm.

A few pints at lunch might do ye no harm.

If only there was somewhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Plenty of places around me open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Not really. It's unrealistic to not expect the odd cluster to pop up even in the zero virus strategy. NZ have the testing and tracing as well as the general proactivenes to hunt the virus back out of the country.

Hopefully the overcome it quickly and it's just a minor blip so countries like ourselves take note that it's the strategy we should be striving for.

There are loads of places open, and if you go somewhere quiet the 105 minutes doesn’t apply and you can stay for as long as you like

There are loads of places open, and if you go somewhere quiet the 105 minutes doesn’t apply and you can stay for as long as you like

No where in my town is open, no where i can walk home from.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Not really. It's unrealistic to not expect the odd cluster to pop up even in the zero virus strategy. NZ have the testing and tracing as well as the general proactivenes to hunt the virus back out of the country.

Hopefully the overcome it quickly and it's just a minor blip so countries like ourselves take note that it's the strategy we should be striving for.

They are gone back into lockdown, we are gone back into lockdown. If its unrealistic to have zero cases, then dont say your going for a zero case strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

They are gone back into lockdown, we are gone back into lockdown. If its unrealistic to have zero cases, then dont say your going for a zero case strategy.

You seem delighted they have a case. Schadenfreude much?

We're going into lockdown just so we can go back to (or continue) living with a half open economy. Auckland going into lockdown so they can fully open their economy and live normal lives with zero cases on their island. There's a massive difference between us and them and I know which place I'd much rather be.

We're going into lockdown just so we can go back to (or continue) living with a half open economy. Auckland going into lockdown so they can fully open their economy and live normal lives with zero cases on their island. There's a massive difference between us and them and I know which place I'd much rather be.

How can NZ fully open their economy, are they allowing tourism in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

The attitude here to zero covid policy, is "it is too much hassle to even think about".

That's why we are where we are and they are where they are.

How can NZ fully open their economy, are they allowing tourism in again.

Sorry I mean a fully open economy in covid terms. No country on the planet is doing remotely normal numbers tourism wise. Fully open economy as in bars, clubs, restaurants, schools, stadiums, concert venues etc etc open and functioning at normal capacity. They have completely normal day to day lives. Something we likely won't have for multiple years unless we follow their lead.

• Advertisement

Sorry I mean a fully open economy in covid terms. No country on the planet is doing remotely normal numbers tourism wise. Fully open economy as in bars, clubs, restaurants, schools, stadiums, concert venues etc etc open and functioning at normal capacity. They have completely normal day to day lives. Something we likely won't have for multiple years unless we follow their lead.

Multiple years, a bit ott no. So we cut ourselves off from the rest of the world for a few years, you not see any issues with this. How is the NZ economy doing anyway, can they sustain no tourism in their economy

i_surge wrote: »
    The attitude here to zero covid policy, is "it is too much hassle to even think about".

That's why we are where we are and they are where they are.

Exactly. The government is taking the easy decision with everything they do. To be fair I actually think the new government are at least willing to make unpopular decisions (ie not reopening pubs) which gives me a slimmer of hope. The general populations reluctance to think outside the box and demand a different approach is a big issue too though. Everyone here seems happy to go on autopilot when it's obvious we're just going to have to have multiple lockdowns which is going to cripple the economy.

The North has backed Scotland's want for a zero covid strategy. We should be talking extensively with them and planning to make the strategy a reality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The praise being thrown at NZ should be done with caution. The lockdown experienced there coupled with the draconian measures now introduced for the sake of 4 cases in a country with closed borders claiming to be Covid free. Raises more than a few eye brows

NZ lockdowns were not popular and drew a lot of criticism locally

It’s insane for any nation to go it alone and think they can operate an open economy and be Covid free. That’s just head in the sand policy making

Also comparing Ireland to NZ is tabloid crap. The only similarities Ireland has to NZ is population a fairer comparison would be with the Valencia region in Spain

Multiple years, a bit ott no. So we cut ourselves off from the rest of the world for a few years, you not see any issues with this. How is the NZ economy doing anyway, can they sustain no tourism in their economy

Might be multiple years until we get a vaccine. That's just the reality.

We're cutting ourselves off to a large degree the way we are at the moment anyway. We actively don't want anyone from the UK or US over here. They make up the vast majority of our tourism.

I'm certain the NZ economy is doing a lot better than ours at the moment. We have no tourism, no spending, massively important sectors like sport, arts and social ones (ie pubs) on their knees.

NZ has no tourism. Everything else has been up and going for 100 days straight till today. They're in a far better spot than we are. Don't see how that's even an argument tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

faceman wrote: »
    The praise being thrown at NZ should be done with caution. The lockdown experienced there coupled with the draconian measures now introduced for the sake of 4 cases in a country with closed borders claiming to be Covid free. Raises more than a few eye brows

NZ lockdowns were not popular and drew a lot of criticism locally

It’s insane for any nation to go it alone and think they can operate an open economy and be Covid free. That’s just head in the sand policy making

Also comparing Ireland to NZ is tabloid crap. The only similarities Ireland has to NZ is population a fairer comparison would be with the Valencia region in Spain

Why is it tabloid crap? NZ is remote sure but planes travel any distance, that seems to be the main argument??

We had all the same options available?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Auckland isn't fully open now, 4 cases in a population of almost 1.7 million, the city is shut down again after the borders were sealed.

So if the NZ system is so great, how did these cases pop up again with the place closed off to the outside world?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Auckland isn't fully open now, 4 cases in a population of almost 1.7 million, the city is shut down again after the borders were sealed.

So if the NZ system is so great, how did these cases pop up again with the place closed off to the outside world?

Aye I'm aware. That's how the zero strategy works. In the case that a cluster shows you use quick shutdowns in small territories to hunt the virus out. This wouldn't be an unexpected measure. The airports are still partially open subject to testing on arrival. Testing isn't completely foolproof yet (you may test negative in the very early stages of contracting the virus) but is only going to get better and quicker.

The fact that 4 cases makes headlines shows how well NZ have done if anything to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i_surge wrote: »
    Why is it tabloid crap? NZ is remote sure but planes travel any distance, that seems to be the main argument??

We had all the same options available?

How many times does this need to be pointed out?

* We aren’t an isolated island

* We share a land border with another sovereign state

* We are heavily reliant on international trade and operate in single market with 26 other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Aye I'm aware. That's how the zero strategy works. In the case that a cluster shows you use quick shutdowns in small territories to hunt the virus out. This wouldn't be an unexpected measure. The airports are still partially open subject to testing on arrival. Testing isn't completely foolproof yet (you may test negative in the very early stages of contracting the virus) but is only going to get better and quicker.

The fact that 4 cases makes headlines shows how well NZ have done if anything to be honest.
    It's also a reminder of how undeniably smug they've been about how well they've done. Other countries have also broken 100 days without cases and haven't thought to announce to the world how fantastic they are. Not sure how many of these mini-lockdowns they could do if cases appear in the future.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    How many times does this need to be pointed out?

* We aren’t an isolated island

* We share a land border with another sovereign state

* We are heavily reliant on international trade and operate in single market with 26 other countries.

Scotland is pursuing the zero covid strategy and Sturgeon is calling for a 4-nation zero-Covid strategy. There's no reason we couldn't hold our hand up and push to be part of that.

Advertisement