Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs New Zealand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Morrison J wrote: »
    Scotland is pursuing the zero covid strategy and Sturgeon is calling for a 4-nation zero-Covid strategy. There's no reason we couldn't hold our hand up and push to be part of that.
    It's a complete misnomer as a term as it is not a COVID free environment strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

faceman wrote: »
    How many times does this need to be pointed out?

* We aren’t an isolated island

* We share a land border with another sovereign state

* We are heavily reliant on international trade and operate in single market with 26 other countries.

Weak excuses for mediocrity.

i_surge wrote: »
    Weak excuses for mediocrity.
    Sure it is, let's see your plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's also a reminder of how undeniably smug they've been about how well they've done. Other countries have also broken 100 days without cases and haven't thought to announce to the world how fantastic they are. Not sure how many of these mini-lockdowns they could do if cases appear in the future.

Sounds like you're just jealous more than anything to be honest. Imagine how outrageously smug we'd be if we only had 22 deaths and went 100 days without a case. We'd be unbearable and rightly so really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It's also a reminder of how undeniably smug they've been about how well they've done. Other countries have also broken 100 days without cases and haven't thought to announce to the world how fantastic they are. Not sure how many of these mini-lockdowns they could do if cases appear in the future.

List the other countries

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you're just jealous more than anything to be honest. Imagine how outrageously smug we'd be if we only had 22 deaths and went 100 days without a case. We'd be unbearable and rightly so really.
    Not a bit, we'd be relieved but still fretting, just like other countries who went 100 days without. They crowed very loudly about it , screwed up in their quarantine and now they have more cases. You don't beat this thing, not without vaccines, you manage it. If you are like NZ , where you can keep everyone out that can be close to zero cases.

Not a bit, we'd be relieved but still fretting, just like other countries who went 100 days without. They crowed very loudly about it , screwed up in their quarantine and now they have more cases. You don't beat this thing, not without vaccines, you manage it. If you are like NZ , where you can keep everyone out that can be close to zero cases.

Well let's all agree that they are "managing" better than most.

List the other countries

China(Wuhan), Taiwan and Vietnam, the latter two now have cases.

Well let's all agree that they are "managing" better than most.
    Which is what they are doing, just like everyone else, not beating it. What they've done is very good but the PR around it not so much.

Which is what they are doing, just like everyone else, not beating it. What they've done is very good but the PR around it not so much.

No, not like everyone else.

They are leading the way by example, we are failing to follow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Aye I'm aware. That's how the zero strategy works. In the case that a cluster shows you use quick shutdowns in small territories to hunt the virus out. This wouldn't be an unexpected measure. The airports are still partially open subject to testing on arrival. Testing isn't completely foolproof yet (you may test negative in the very early stages of contracting the virus) but is only going to get better and quicker.
    The fact that 4 cases makes headlines shows how well NZ have done if anything to be honest.

New infections in a country who's supposedly an example to the world of how a zero covid strategy can work getting 4 cases seemingly out of nowhere, and who's to say there's not a large number of undetected cases?

Now they are going backwards again, 4 positive cases, 1.6 million people locked down again and a "Stage 2" lockdown for the rest of the country...
    The pursuit of a zero covid strategy has them now starting to go back and forth again, each time a flare sparks up they close down again, wait until it's gone and await the next flare up... NZ citizens hard fought freedoms gone again, this has to take a toll on the population over the priority of Covid elimination over everything.

No, not like everyone else.

They are leading the way by example, we are failing to follow it.
    They can close borders, we can't. There's that inconvenience of freedom of movement in the EU. And then there's the population density and the remote location in their favour. Our failings predominantly came in care homes and from a weak testing regime. A lot of the rest we've got pretty much right.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,914 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Now they are going backwards again, 4 positive cases, 1.6 million people locked down again and a "Stage 2" lockdown for the rest of the country...
    The pursuit of a zero covid strategy has them now starting to go back and forth again, each time a flare sparks up they close down again, wait until it's gone and await the next flare up...

Pretty much the same as we're doing in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

NZ is putting the rest of the country into a Stage 2 lockdown...

The fact that Ireland is still under the Stage 3 Lockdown conditions means both countries have pretty much identical levels of restrictions..

They can close borders we can't. There's that inconvenience of freedom of movement in the EU. And then there's the population density and the remote location.

Nothing stopping us working with NI on that for the greater good. Just a lack of ambition.

EU freedom of movement can be suspended on health grounds, just some repatriation allowed, just like it was up until recently. Non argument.

NZ is putting the rest of the country into a Stage 2 lockdown...

The fact that Ireland is still under the Stage 3 Lockdown conditions means both countries have pretty much identical levels of restrictions..

And a huge difference in risk, health and economic.

TBF there are an awful lot more cases in the Midlands, we certainly wouldn't have a lockdown for 4 community cases.

Nothing stopping us working with NI on that for the greater good. Just a lack of ambition.

EU freedom of movement can be suspended on health grounds, just some repatriation allowed, just like it was up until recently. Non argument.
    How can it be suspended? It's a core right.

How can it be suspended? It's a core right.

Turn your clock back a few months to see for yourself.

New infections in a country who's supposedly an example to the world of how a zero covid strategy can work getting 4 cases seemingly out of nowhere, and who's to say there's not a large number of undetected cases?

The pursuit of a zero covid strategy has them now starting to go back and forth again, each time a flare sparks up they close down again, wait until it's gone and await the next flare up... NZ citizens hard fought freedoms gone again, this has to take a toll on the population over the priority of Covid elimination over everything.

They had cases before and hunted them out before going on a streak of 100 days without a case. I'd expect them to do the same here tbh.

At the end of the day theyre locking down in order to get everything open and fully functioning again. We're locking down in order to live beside the virus which in my opinion is a fairly grim experience. We're basically pissing into the wind with no real end to this in sight. NZ are striving back to normality. There's such a massive difference in that.

In Ireland if you work in the arts, sport, hospitality etc your sector is on its knees and many are a lockdown away from being jobless. In NZ you're coming off 100 days of normal business. Think there's a larger toll on the population in a country like Ireland to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭httpete

They will handle these 4 cases just like the handled the original outbreak. This will be absolutely trivial for them compared to when covid first struck and they upwards of 80 cases a day.

And then they will be back open again fully like they have been for the past 3+ months. While, we will have no pubs, nightclubs, festivals, gigs, regional lockdowns, and generally massive inconvenience..and we are facing years of this.

Turn your clock back a few months to see for yourself.

That was individual countries acting individually. Here's a list of EU competences. Which one of these allows for the suspension of freedom of movement in the EU?

https://europa.eu/citizens-initiative/faq-eu-competences-and-commission-powers_en#EU-competences

They had cases before and hunted them out before going on a streak of 100 days without a case. I'd expect them to do the same here tbh.

At the end of the day theyre locking down in order to get everything open and fully functioning again. We're locking down in order to live beside the virus which in my opinion is a fairly grim experience. We're basically pissing into the wind with no real end to this in sight. NZ are striving back to normality. There's such a massive difference in that.

In Ireland if you work in the arts, sport, hospitality etc your sector is on its knees and many are a lockdown away from being jobless. In NZ you're coming off 100 days of normal business. Think there's a larger toll on the population in a country like Ireland to be honest.

The only person talking sense here. Nobody likes lockdown, that's why so many argue against the proposal. To me it is a ticket to freedom, I don't see any alternative that doesn't involve years of this half life.

That was individual countries acting individually. Here's a list of EU competences. Which one of these allows for the suspension of freedom of movement?

https://europa.eu/citizens-initiative/faq-eu-competences-and-commission-powers_en#EU-competences

Borders were shut a few months ago. 100% fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭wassie

Everyone does realise that the NZ lockdown is only for 3 days.....

httpete wrote: »
    They will handle these 4 cases just like the handled the original outbreak. This will be absolutely trivial for them compared to when covid first struck and they upwards of 80 cases a day.

And then they will be back open again fully like they have been for the past 3+ months. While, we will have no pubs, nightclubs, festivals, gigs, regional lockdowns, and generally massive inconvenience..and we are facing years of this.

Pubs will get the nod in September and some of the other stuff later in the year. Clubs are done for the year and we may be better placed for larger gatherings in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Irradiation of the virus is not without its noble merits BUT.. So we lock down GB and Ireland by building a virtual viral wall around our islands. Then what ?

How long do we stay with this status ? Once we let down our borders again it’s viral infection time again. Mind you this is after we overcome the mother of all political nightmare diplomacy with our EU trading zone.

Additionally we would need “buy in” from the public in all our proposed lockdown locations (People have families outside of Ireland & UK and need / deserve access) , business people have external interests and investments too. Whose to compensate these losses?

Fact is this virus could be with us decades (as it stands presently) and we need feasibility in our strategy.

As I say it’s a Nobel idea however logistically and executably it’s a pure fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭httpete

Pubs will get the nod in September and some of the other stuff later in the year. Clubs are done for the year and we may be better placed for larger gatherings in 2021.

How will they get the nod? They delayed the pubs re-opening in mid-July when cases numbers were approx. 20 per day. How have things gone since the last time they didn't get the nod?

If they couldn't re-open at 20 cases per day then I am assuming their criteria for re-opening is that they can be confident the numbers can be kept below 20 per day. Do you see us getting to a sustained level of less than 20 new cases a day?

Unless there is a strong policy change the numbers are not going back down to the level needed.

It is logical to deduce that based on the criteria for re-opening and how our numbers have been going, and likely will go, that the pubs are done for years since we are reliant on a vaccine being developed. Of course, I imagine a politician can't come straight and say this.

That was individual countries acting individually. Here's a list of EU competences. Which one of these allows for the suspension of freedom of movement in the EU?

Doesn't matter, you just said it can be done, we are an individual country.

• Advertisement

dalyboy wrote: »

Additionally we would need “buy in” from the public in all our proposed lockdown locations (People have families outside of Ireland & UK and need / deserve access) , business people have external interests and investments too. Whose to compensate these losses?

This is a non-issue really. We'd allow people to still fly but they'll have to undertake mandatory testing on arrival at Dublin airport and to take another test a couple of days later to ensure they don't have the virus before they exit quarantine.

Advertisement