Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning from UK

• 28-04-2020 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been working in Oil and Gas Indusrty in Aberdeen the past 8 years. If I got made redundant here would my social security payments entitle me to any Job seekers benefit at home if I got made redundant and moved home?

I was reading into it and it seems like the last contributions must have been in Ireland to transfer credits from other EU states, but was just checking if any special relationship with UK.

I wouldn't qualify for Jobseekers Allowance as I have some savings.

Hopefuly doesn't come to it but just somebody might have experience of it so I know what my options would be.

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Your insurance payments are transferable, but you wouldn't get dole just moving back here as you have to accrue prsi here. You could move to the North of Ireland to get UK benefits.
    But if you have 8 years field experience, you should have no problem getting a job in the bio pharma here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Meeoow wrote: »
    Your insurance payments are transferable, but you wouldn't get dole just moving back here as you have to accrue prsi here. You could move to the North of Ireland to get UK benefits.
    But if you have 8 years field experience, you should have no problem getting a job in the bio pharma here.

Cool thanks for the reply, that's what I was thinking from my research, hopefully won't come to it anyway!
    Yeah was planning on moving home start of next year but might delay it now (providing no redundancy) to see how the job market picks up after this blows over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Unemployment Benefits are paid by the country of last employment, so UK will be responsible (there are limited exceptions, but they wouldn't seem to apply to what you have described).

You can transfer your UK Benefits to Ireland for a period (max allowed under EU rules is 6 months, but I know Ireland only allow 3 months, so check with the UK authorities to see how long they would allow you to transfer). However, if transferred, it is paid at the UK rate.

However, if you were to get some employment in Ireland, and then lose it again, Ireland would be the country responsible for Unemployment Benefits, and you could apply here. If you are going to relocate, make sure that you get your UK social insurance record from the authorities there before you come, as it can speed up any application here.

Other than the right to reside in Ireland afforded to UK citizens, there is no special treatment of British nationals or residents in Irish social welfare legislation. However, normal EU rules do apply. But to use your UK social insurance, you need to first enter (or re-enter) the Irish social insurance system by working here (1 week earning 38 euro or more is sufficient)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Unemployment Benefits are paid by the country of last employment, so UK will be responsible (there are limited exceptions, but they wouldn't seem to apply to what you have described).

You can transfer your UK Benefits to Ireland for a period (max allowed under EU rules is 6 months, but I know Ireland only allow 3 months, so check with the UK authorities to see how long they would allow you to transfer). However, if transferred, it is paid at the UK rate.

However, if you were to get some employment in Ireland, and then lose it again, Ireland would be the country responsible for Unemployment Benefits, and you could apply here. If you are going to relocate, make sure that you get your UK social insurance record from the authorities there before you come, as it can speed up any application here.

Other than the right to reside in Ireland afforded to UK citizens, there is no special treatment of British nationals or residents in Irish social welfare legislation. However, normal EU rules do apply. But to use your UK social insurance, you need to first enter (or re-enter) the Irish social insurance system by working here (1 week earning 38 euro or more is sufficient)

Thanks for that will be moving home at some stage (might be delayed now if we both have jobs to see how the recovery from covid goes) so even if I do manage to have a job lined up the UK social insurance record seems like something I should get just to have in case it's needed, so that's a good idea.

Advertisement