Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wedding ring under skirting board

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Has Saint Anthony been deployed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

There will be a gap from the laminate to the wall to allow for expansion. It is probably sitting in there.

I would try a piece of wire- coat hanger or some other fairly stiff wire. Bend it to the shape that will fit in the gap and will angle down so it has a chance to hook the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

As has been said countless times ............

Just gently prise away the skirting board. The ring will, most likely be sitting in the expansion gap of the flooring. If for some reason you still can't see it, get the hoover out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Podge201 wrote: »
    Take off skirting. I see a kango on adverts for sale. This could turn into a big job.
    I want to thank this twice. :pac:

Lift the skirting, do not cut it. Surely to god this is straight forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Before you go tearing off skirting board can I suggest you check under the chest of drawers - might have hopped off the skirting and gone under it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

minikin wrote: »
    Before you go tearing off skirting board can I suggest you check under the chest of drawers - might have hopped off the skirting and gone under it.

that has been done twice already

How are the corners of the skirtings joined.
    Are they mitred or scribed
    If they are scribed in your favour could be handy enough to get off.
    But skirting has to come off first then evaluate the problem ...... can we get a mini digger in through the window... just in case ¾ton one will do ;)

dont know what mitred or scribbed mean

Zulu wrote: »
    I want to thank this twice. :pac:

Lift the skirting, do not cut it. Surely to god this is straight forward?

probably is for someone that has done it before, but if you have never done it before or it never entered your head as a thing before, just requires some thinking on tools and best way to do it etc

that has been done twice already

Third time's a charm...
    (sorry, new to thread, have you tried turning it off and on again?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

minikin wrote: »
    Third time's a charm...
    (sorry, new to thread, have you tried turning it off and on again?)
    Its advice from a chippy or good DIYer he's looking for, not from a comedian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Have to say I did think what Bass Reeves was thinking but I might have worded it differently.
    It must have been a mangy sized wedding ring

The gap does look very small, so it's going to take a fair bit of effort to get it out again.
    If it was me, I would do as suggested and take the skirting board off.
    Then if you can't see it, try with a twisted coat hanger and some masking tape,
    (blue tac or sellotape if you don't have masking tape, sticky side out) to see if it can pick up the ring if there, might save a lot of other work/damage later.
    The ring will be most likely lying under the floor so might not able to pick it up directly with a hook.

At one stage in this thread, i thought I had clicked into After Hours for a minute :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,135 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mitred = a 45 degree cut in both lengths to fit against each other in the corner where the walls meet.

Scribed = where the face profile is cut into the skirting so that it fits into the face of the length on the other wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Haven't heard the word "mangy" in years.

Whats the story OP. You should have the floor up and refitted at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Scribed = https://tinyurl.com/ydctar3v
    Mitred = https://tinyurl.com/y7m5wvbh

spent the last 2 hours at this with the help of a neighbor, job done.

took off skirting board, this wasn't enough so had to take up a floorboard. tricky enough to do. lots of careful movements needed. no damage done at all, original floorboard and skirting board back on

some pics: https://imgur.com/a/8A32AM2

to all the people for their help, thank you.

for the people with the stupid comments, they were handicapped and cringe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

And ? Wasn't there was it ?

It's always in the fruit bowl I find. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Put a bead of sealant under the skirting once you finish, it wouldn't be cool if it happened twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Fairly irresponsible of you to bring a person into your home. Are you at the races at all op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

For all the stupid comments, to go and bring a neighbour in to help in this pandemic surpasses any stupidity previously, with interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s a pity the schools are off.

• Advertisement

Halfords are closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

STB. wrote: »
    And ? Wasn't there was it ?

Was it got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

spent the last 2 hours at this with the help of a neighbor, job done.

took off skirting board, this wasn't enough so had to take up a floorboard. tricky enough to do. lots of careful movements needed. no damage done at all, original floorboard and skirting board back on

some pics: https://imgur.com/a/8A32AM2

to all the people for their help, thank you.

for the people with the stupid comments, they were handicapped and cringe

stay classy op.

For all the stupid comments, to go and bring a neighbour in to help in this pandemic surpasses any stupidity previously, with interest.

I never said anything about a neighbour ‘in’ my house. This was all done via FaceTime. Get with the times. Video is the way forward.

stay classy op.

I didn’t mean to offend you Mr PC brigade.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Well done on getting it back. Glad you got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I never said anything about a neighbour ‘in’ my house. This was all done via FaceTime. Get with the times. Video is the way forward.

The two outstanding qualities we have as a nation. Jumping to conclusions and making sure no good deed goes unpunished.

Glad you got sorted, and you are now 90% there should you ever decide to put down a timber floor yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

MarkR wrote: »
    Well done on getting it back. Glad you got sorted.

But did he? It's still not clear whether "job done" refers to removing the skirting and a floorboard or actually finding the ring. :confused:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    But did he? It's still not clear whether "job done" refers to removing the skirting and a floorboard or actually finding the ring. :confused:

Yes, the ring was found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yes, the ring was found.

Good work. Looks like a tidy job as well.
    I suppose it was a new skill you've learned and a time killer during this pandemic.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Put a bead of sealant under the skirting once you finish, it wouldn't be cool if it happened twice.

good call, I only have clear sealant.

this prob not a good fit? and would need to get wood colored sealant, if such a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

good call, I only have clear sealant.

this prob not a good fit? and would need to get wood colored sealant, if such a thing
    Put a thin bead in the gap and you won't see it, mask it off if you don't have a steady hand.

I didn’t mean to offend you Mr PC brigade.

Well done on getting the ring OP.

As one who posted several times to advise can I offer another bit?

Please drop the word referred to above from your vocabulary of insult. I have a brother who was tortured through his childhood and student days having that word used as an insult against him. Still happens occasionally today even. Whether you meant it or not is immaterial, it is deeply hurtful.

Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Came to this late it appears. Yeah the only solution was to take the skirting off.

I couldn't actually live with a gap like that, shudders. Could you get board back on any better or is the floor messing you up?

Well done on getting the ring OP.

As one who posted several times to advise can I offer another bit?

Please drop the word referred to above from your vocabulary of insult. I have a brother who was tortured through his childhood and student days having that word used as an insult against him. Still happens occasionally today even. Whether you meant it or not is immaterial, it is deeply hurtful.

Just saying.

Fair enough comment.

theteal wrote: »
    Came to this late it appears. Yeah the only solution was to take the skirting off.

I couldn't actually live with a gap like that, shudders. Could you get board back on any better or is the floor messing you up?

Floor messes it up. Will leave it be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You could stuff the gap with a piece of folded newspaper or the like. Shove it far enough in that it's invisible to the eye but still there to prevent anything else falling in behind?

Floor messes it up. Will leave it be.

A length of butyl tape taped along half the bottom edge would have sealed it without being seen. It is designed to squash and conform to undulations unevenness in the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Imagine being so useless you cannot remove a length of skirting board by yourself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Good ending OP, nice to see you got the ring back.

Some of the replies were absolutely ridiculous and it's scary to think some might of been even genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mloc123 wrote: »
    Imagine being so useless you cannot remove a length of skirting board by yourself...
    Some people can, some cant. Hows your comment adding anything constructive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Glad you got the ring back
    "Happy wife, happy life " and all that.
    Look taking off the skirting board was the solution from about three posts in if not less.
    Theres no harm in injecting a little humour along the way.
    Any way job sorted, no one died all's well ends well.

another useless comment, why bother, as other poster says, not constructive.

removing a skirting board is not too bad - once you know how. if you have never done it before, it takes planning and the right tools etc

However, my thing was to remove the skirting board without doing any damage, big difference to just ripping it off.

But by a facetime to his neighbour he was a carpenter. Long and the short of it is his neighbour did the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

My wedding ring went missing in 1998 and suspect went into foundations as skirting missing with work being done on kitchen at the time. Same floor was 'up' 10 yrs later with heating work but missed chance to look for it. Be archaeological dig by now ... gold not magnetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

The handicapped comment was unnecessary, uncouth and uncalled for. As were some of the other comments. Glad its been resolved hough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Garlinge wrote: »
    Be archaeological dig by now ... gold not magnetic.
    It's not magnetic but still detectable with a metal detector if you have access to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Alun wrote: »
    It's not magnetic but still detectable with a metal detector if you have access to one.

Now that would have been a good suggestion to see where the ring was but decent metal detectors are a bit rare in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Now that would have been a good suggestion to see where the ring was but decent metal detectors are a bit rare in Ireland.
    True, as they're illegal to use for searching for archaeological objects. Some hire places rent them out though, presumably for searching for underground pipes etc.

muffler wrote: »
    Its advice from a chippy or good DIYer he's looking for, not from a comedian

A sense of humour can help when things are going south, no need to be so moderatory if you're not the mod on this particular forum. Chill out.

To the O.P. - delighted for you that you got your precious back :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement