Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower / priority switch issue

Options
  • 28-04-2020 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭

Two electric showers & priority switch installed 4/5 years ago, all good until last week, the GR RCBO B40A, tripped while shower 2 was being used, I reset it, all good for a week or so then shower 1 tripped it while being used

As both showers have now tripped the RCBO, a week apart what / where would you suspect the most likely fault is?

Do RCBO's fail from time to time commonly

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Two electric showers & priority switch installed 4/5 years ago, all good until last week, the GR RCBO B40A, tripped while shower 2 was being used, I reset it, all good for a week or so then shower 1 tripped it while being used

As both showers have now tripped the RCBO, a week apart what / where would you suspect the most likely fault is?

Thanks

A rec would need to do the relevant tests. However rcbo’s have failed previously and have been replaced

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would suspect that the issue could be a fault between neutral and earth. As the neutral and earth for both showers remains in circuit regardless of which shower is in use the fault could be with either shower.

As above you really need to get a qualified electrician to resolve this. I would expect that this will be resolved this by carrying out a number insulation resistance tests.

It is not unheard of but in my personal experience it is not that common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

OP do you leave the shower isolators on or turn them off, when the showers are not in use?

What size are the showers and the RCBO?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Bruthal wrote: »
    OP do you leave the shower isolators on or turn them off, when the showers are not in use?

What size are the showers and the RCBO?

The two Crabtree pull cord switches are permanently in the ON position

9kw & 8.5kw

GARO GR RCBO B40A

Just to emphasise, it’s been working away for years with no issues, no other work has been taking place, nobody has been at the showers, switches or priority switch

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The two Crabtree pull cord switches are permanently in the ON position

9kw & 8.5kw

GARO GR RCBO B40A

Just to emphasise, it’s been working away for years with no issues, no other work has been taking place, nobody has been at the showers, switches or priority switch

Thanks

If the tripping is regular, turn off the pullchord of the showers not in use for the moment. If tripping still occurs, you know it is not a problem past the pullchord that is off.

Fair chance swapping the RCBO might fix it. But at least with isolating the non use shower for the moment, it eliminates part of the circuit and other shower.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    If the tripping is regular, turn off the pullchord of the showers not in use for the moment. If tripping still occurs, you know it is not a problem past the pullchord that is off.

Fair chance swapping the RCBO might fix it. But at least with isolating the non use shower for the moment, it eliminates part of the circuit and other shower.

Thanks, that's a good idea, will do

The tripping time line if it's of any value is Wednesday 22nd shower 2
    Monday 27th Shower 1
    Tuesday 28th shower 1

Before shower 1 tripped this morning, both myself and my Mrs used it between 6.30 & 9am with no issue, daughter then sometime later when it tripped

Shower 2 gets used once a day usually, shower 1 would be used 3 times minimum

Thanks again

Just to update this, replaced the RCBO a week ago, all good since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

Just to update this, replaced the RCBO a week ago, all good since

It's good that it's not tripping now

Just to point you presumably haven't tested this new Rcbo so there's still some unknown

Advertisement