Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas!!Lean too

• 28-04-2020 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

A guy has constructed a nice patio area and lean too for me.

See Pic.

I told him before he started i wanted one side covered off , really just to keep
    one side slightly rain proof.

He is near finished now and he is telling me he cant think of any way of doing what I asked !!!

A previous quote , the guy said that he would make up a triangular piece
    on timber lats and fit it to do as i wanted ....

wondering has anyone any ideas of how i could do something to cover off the one side as per pic ..that would look ok ...thanks Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Why cant he just make up a triangular piece the shape of what's there from the underside of the perspex sheeting to about 150mm below the inside of the capping clad it with perspex then lift it up into position and secure it to the wall and up stand.
    You could mount a gutter underneath that to throw rain water back out away from the covered in area.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Slightly off topic, but am I wrong or should those rafters not be sitting on top of the beam attached to the wall? Or notched or something?

Or is that the right way to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats pretty strongly screwed into the wall plate. if the OP was concerned he could fit L brackets but there is not going to be much weight on that part of the structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats pretty strongly screwed into the wall plate. if the OP was concerned he could fit L brackets but there is not going to be much weight on that part of the structure.

It’s well supported to this heavy weight timber posts and the roof is light , looks very well proportioned to me !

It’s well supported to this heavy weight timber posts and the roof is light , looks very well proportioned to me !

This is pic of the inside of lean too looks fine to me I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

This is pic of the inside of lean too looks fine to me I think

Not saying it would collapse but a good fall of snow would really test that doubled 4x2 on its edge purlin.
    Personally I would of put at least a no knots 6x3 minimum high side up sitting on top of the 9x2 post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Not sure if you can get them easily in Ireland, but a clear plastic café style blind on one side would be a good solution IMO. Have him make up a triangular piece of perspex sheeting to about 150mm below the inside of the capping, as suggested by Bonzo Delaney - that would give you a gutter, and a straight edge to hang a clear blind from. Let it down in rainy weather, pull it up out of the way when it's sunny or you need access to that wall.

For example:
    90bkO9z3.jpg

Not saying it would collapse but a good fall of snow would really test that doubled 4x2 on its edge purlin.
    Personally I would of put at least a no knots 6x3 minimum high side up sitting on top of the 9x2 post

Gosh never thought of that I’ll ask the carpenter when he comes ... I had a similar type lean too in my last house similar to this ... never an issue with regard to weather / snow ... never ... even thought it might collapse looks very strong .. really appreciate that advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What width is it? Could het a Sheet or two of clear polycarbonate, like glass, but a plastic and virtually unbreakable

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What width is it? Could het a Sheryl or two of clear polycarbonate, like gladd, but a plastic and ckryislly unbreakable

Yap he told me to get two clear sheets of perplex and he will make triangular frame , to fit there .. I only want the rain to keep out a bit so I can potter around if it’s raining in lean too ... I am going to cover it in a bit with trellis around and nice scented climbers .. for small bit of privacy ..I don’t think I need gutter at that side as there is flower bed under it directly along wall and water can drip on wall to there ... it’s an outside space ..thanks for advice ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A guy has constructed a nice patio area and lean too for me.

See Pic.

I told him before he started i wanted one side covered off , really just to keep
    one side slightly rain proof.

He is near finished now and he is telling me he cant think of any way of doing what I asked !!!

A previous quote , the guy said that he would make up a triangular piece
    on timber lats and fit it to do as i wanted ....

wondering has anyone any ideas of how i could do something to cover off the one side as per pic ..that would look ok ...thanks Paddy

is the cheap corrugated plastic temporary?

lawred2 wrote: »
    is the cheap corrugated plastic temporary?

MODS PLEASE CLOSE THIS , GOT INFO REQUIRED : many thanks

MODS PLEASE CLOSE THIS , GOT INFO REQUIRED : many thanks

I didn't mean to sound mean or anything if that's what you were thinking... it's just that that stuff ages and clouds very quickly..

Looks like a decent job.. I think that stuff cheapens it somewhat..

But if you're happy; then the world's happy. Best of luck with it.

I didn't mean to sound mean or anything if that's what you were thinking... it's just that that stuff ages and clouds very quickly..

Looks like a decent job.. I think that stuff cheapens it somewhat..

But if you're happy; then the world's happy. Best of luck with it.

It was spoiling things a bit alright . Appreciate your opinion at same time. I’m happy with Perspex sheets as they are ideal for outdoor , light and waterproof. Thanks again ..
    Mods you can close it ,got info I require.
    Thank you

It was spoiling things a bit alright . Appreciate your opinion at same time. I’m happy with Perspex sheets as they are ideal for outdoor , light and waterproof. Thanks again ..
    Mods you can close it ,got info I require.
    Thank you

sorry :(

sorry :(

Your only trying to help ðŸ‘thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The rafters butted against the wall plate, if you want to call it that, is an atrocious detail. Is it an actual carpenter or just a handy-man? Any carpenter who would do that should be ashamed of themselves.
    Also that 6x3 or whatever it is will rot at the bottom in no time at all.
    And do you live in a windy area? One good strong gust underneath the far end of that and it'll be gone quicker than you can imagine.

The rafters butted against the wall plate, if you want to call it that, is an atrocious detail. Is it an actual carpenter or just a handy-man? Any carpenter who would do that should be ashamed of themselves.
    Also that 6x3 or whatever it is will rot at the bottom in no time at all.
    And do you live in a windy area? One good strong gust underneath the far end of that and it'll be gone quicker than you can imagine.

What a load of rubbish. Are you a carpenter ?
    What makes you think the posts will rot ?
    For someone who can’t even download an email attachment , your “ expertise” in carpentry is laughable .
    Stay in school and study sonny

Advertisement