Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online marketplaces

Options
  • 28-04-2020 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I'm curious to know if there are people here that sell products on Amazon, etsy etc.

Wondering what kind of things you dislike about the platforms and what you wish you were able to do as sellers on it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Would love to see customers having to pay a small mandatory fee to return a product. So many people buy products without reading the specs because of overly generous returns policies. They then return it when they realise it's not what they assumed it to be.

Sellers should be contacted before their selling accounts are deactivated, not afterwards, in case there is a legitimate reason which makes the deactivation incorrect.

There should be a better way to dispute incorrect/illegitimate reviews. I've had people openly admit that they never bought my product, left me a bad review and the review still failed to be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

We use Etsy for some things we have just over 3k sales on there now. The fees are relatively low and had no customer service issues. For the right product it can be a decent revenue stream once done well but it's highly unlikely to be an amazing income generator in my opinion. If you have thr type of product you may as well use it but it's not a game changer. They like to claim it's all homemade and vintage but theres an awful lot of crap of Aliexpress on there if I was a jewellery seller that would really put me off. If it's a product you can put an image on stick a cat on it and it will sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

tacofries wrote: »
    Would love to see customers having to pay a small mandatory fee to return a product. So many people buy products without reading the specs because of overly generous returns policies. They then return it when they realise it's not what they assumed it to be.

Sellers should be contacted before their selling accounts are deactivated, not afterwards, in case there is a legitimate reason which makes the deactivation incorrect.

There should be a better way to dispute incorrect/illegitimate reviews. I've had people openly admit that they never bought my product, left me a bad review and the review still failed to be removed.

Great points thanks for the response. In regard the return fee and frustration for sellers dealing with returns, what would you think would be a fair fee to charge for a return?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

jimmii wrote: »
    We use Etsy for some things we have just over 3k sales on there now. The fees are relatively low and had no customer service issues. For the right product it can be a decent revenue stream once done well but it's highly unlikely to be an amazing income generator in my opinion. If you have thr type of product you may as well use it but it's not a game changer. They like to claim it's all homemade and vintage but theres an awful lot of crap of Aliexpress on there if I was a jewellery seller that would really put me off. If it's a product you can put an image on stick a cat on it and it will sell.

Do you have anything in mind that would make it a game changer for you? Would you like to see something that makes it harder for just any body to sell?

Would you consider switching to a marketplace that wouldnt let just anybody sell everything and anything to counteract faulty products?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Chacha97 wrote: »
    Do you have anything in mind that would make it a game changer for you? Would you like to see something that makes it harder for just any body to sell?

Would you consider switching to a marketplace that wouldnt let just anybody sell everything and anything to counteract faulty products?

Not on the high street pretty much does that it's a lot more restrictive on who can join but the fees are much bigger.

There seem to be a lot of "niche" marketplaces opening but none of them seem to be getting much traction I'd imagine it's a very expensive thing to do. Only way to make it a game changer is probably more buyers, less sellers and lower fees but that seems like its not going to add up for someone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement