Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised Bed - Just soil now looking for suggestions

Options
  • 28-04-2020 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just cleaned out a raised bed, previously heavy nettles and weeds.

I'm looking to order plants to replant it. I've few considerations that you might advise on;

1) Looking for very easy maintenance, I've a strong two stroke strimmer and I want this to the extent of work that it needs if I can't afford it more. I would of course give it more attention if I can, but would like a easy fall back position.

2) Bright and colourful. Aesthetically pleasing would be nice!

3) Have herbs etc that could be used in the kitchen.

4) "Bee friendly". I don't fully understand this concept, but I've been told by near and dear that it is essential!

5) Should I put down a weed membrane? Having just pulled one up I wasn't impressed by the layer of long term twigs on top and compacted solid below. But open to suggestion on this.

6) Anything else I should be thinking of?!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Membrane limits the depth that roots and root vegetables can go and create a barrier to good drainage.

Bee friendly - pollination. Get plant colours that are towards the cool end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Instead of using soil throughout the bed consider filling the bottom of the raised bed with sticks/twigs old roots etc, these break down and allow the soil to drain more freely and provide heat from the decay process which helps with plant growth when it gets cooler.
    Hügelkultur is the German name for it, when they discovered that some highly productive areas were built on ancient woods that had been buried and had remained productive for many hundreds of years.
    Plants only need a small depth of soil 20-40cm any more than that will compact as you have found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

In terms of herbs you need very good drainage as usually their natural habitat is dry sunny Mediterranean weather so they’re not a huge fan of our cold wet winters, so if you want to grow them you need to ensure you have plenty of grit in your soil.

In terms of weed proof barriers, I’m personally not a fan, you need to put some sort of dressing on top to hide it. We used bark, I’ve spent a full day picking spring weeds that grew up through the barrier and also on top of it. I also think it suppresses the soil and limits the growth of your plants. Your better ‘mulching’ your plants with organic matter. That simply means putting either a thick layer of bark, compost, manure etc around your plants to suppress the weeds, this also help the condition of your soil.

In terms of helping bees, try to go organic as far as possible. A lot of ‘bee friendly’ seeds and plants are pre treated with chemicals which the bees ingest when feeding and that does more harm than good. It’s a good idea to have a supply of ‘food’ for them from early spring to late Autumn. So pick a few plants wisely that bloom in each month and they should have a continuous source of food. As Harry said above, think plants on the cool colour spectrum so think blues and purples.

The RHS plants for pollinators list is a good place to start to find ideas for plants.

Things I find that are a magnet for bees in my garden are catmint, scabious, salvia, globe thistle, sea holly (flower not bush), perennial wallflower, yarrow, vipers bugloss, agastache, borage, thistle, perennial cornflower, wild marjoram, meadow clary, echinacea, geranium Rozanne.

If you were adventurous enough to try growing from seed I recommend www.seedaholic.ie although not open at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Thanks for all the tips, loads to work through there.

Just to clarify too, it is the top layer membrane.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think there might be a bit of cross-purposing going on here :D

Am I right OP in thinking you are not referring to a wooden sided/box type veg bed (or similar) you are talking about a flower bed that is built up higher than the lawn or whatever around it?

You are asking about covering the top surface of the bed with membrane, not putting it in the bottom of a timber raised bed?

Sorry if I am wrong, but there are a few things not adding up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Hi Looksee,

Sorry I'll try clarify.

There's a area covered in tiles in the middle of that there's 12 inch mini wall in the middle of the walled area is the raised bed.

Hope that makes sense.

Advertisement