Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timberframe builds

Options
  • 28-04-2020 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

There are numerous different companies offering very competitive rates for self build timber frame homes. I have been looking for posts related to people who have gone this route that might be willing to share some info and experience.

I just want a modest home, straight forward simple build.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Hi Ciara Not exactly what you are looking for but this is an interesting one to trawl through. snip

Mod note: recommendations of specific companies by PM thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Built timber frame in 2018. frame constituted about 25% of the total build cost. order early as the lead time is long, get an order in with your planning drawings, you can adjust the plan up until they fabricate it which is about two days before they deliver to site. my frame came on June 5th 2018, we were in house on the 24th of December. self-build. you won't save money but you probably will save time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP, also worth noting that the company needs to build the frame in accordance with IS444 and in order to do that, they must be registered with the NSAI here in Ireland to build Timber Frame.

The NSAI have a list of approved TF manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Ciara85 wrote: »
    Hi

There are numerous different companies offering very competitive rates for self build timber frame homes. I have been looking for posts related to people who have gone this route that might be willing to share some info and experience.

I just want a modest home, straight forward simple build.

Do you mean wooden insulated panels? There are a few companies offering various levels of package as you know. I was planning to go with a firm in the west but it's working out at over 2k per sq metre, which is at least 25% more than any other method in my region.

I'd advise you to think carefully, do your research and lots of sums. I'm looking into ICF now as a fairly quick, potentially passive and cost effective solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Do you mean wooden insulated panels? There are a few companies offering various levels of package as you know. I was planning to go with a firm in the west but it's working out at over 2k per sq metre, which is at least 25% more than any other method in my region.

I'd advise you to think carefully, do your research and lots of sums. I'm looking into ICF now as a fairly quick, potentially passive and cost effective solution.

thats SIPS the OP was talking about timber frame, if i was going again i'd consider block on flat with external insulation, sounds like a good solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

bfclancy wrote: »
    thats SIPS the OP was talking about timber frame, if i was going again i'd consider block on flat with external insulation, sounds like a good solution

Good lad. I know what SIPs are. A lot of people don't know one from the other is why I asked.

Advertisement