Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Door adjustment help

• 28-04-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi all,

Doing some lockdown painting, I have just rehung my living room door, but it doesn't close right. Touches the frame at the top, then is 10mm away at the bottom.

All hinges seem to be inline, frame is plumb and door is pretty straight.

Any advice on how to adjust it to close a bit better will be much appreciated.

Some pictures attached to show top and bottom, and the type of hinge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Were the hinges swapped over ? No two hinges are the same, hang a string from the top to the bottom exact middle of the hinge and see if the are in the same place.
    Watch this guy he is pretty good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48fFtKTGTEw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Its also possible that one hinge was the wrong way up originally ( or both were the right way up and now one is upside down?) so more than just one combination to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Were the hinges swapped over ? No two hinges are the same, hang a string from the top to the bottom exact middle of the hinge and see if the are in the same place.
    Watch this guy he is pretty good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48fFtKTGTEw

3 doors off, 2 hinged on the left, 1 on the right..

All hinges were just put in a box upon taking them off, so each hinge was separated both pieces for cleaning and painting.

I didn't even think about marking what hinge was for what door.

I can't even remember if the piece with the pivot bar was to the top or bottom.

I've put a string line on them just now, all seem to be inline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Can you show a photo of the three hinges in line , it looks like you may have one/some the wrong way round, the barrel of the hinge is normally on the outside edge.
    Look at your other doors and you may see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

3 doors off, 2 hinged on the left, 1 on the right..

All hinges were just put in a box upon taking them off, so each hinge was separated both pieces for cleaning and painting.

I didn't even think about marking what hinge was for what door.

I can't even remember if the piece with the pivot bar was to the top or bottom.

I've put a string line on them just now, all seem to be inline

Stupid question I suppose but did you put the doors back to the same place from where you removed them from?

• Advertisement

policarp wrote: »
    Stupid question I suppose but did you put the doors back to the same place from where you removed them from?

I double and triple checked this when I noticed how bad it was, definitely back in the right place as one door had holes at the head for a coat hanger...

I'll look at other doors upstairs in the morning, see which way hinges are then compare them to downstairs.

Think I'll be painting other doors while there hung lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭hesker

Is it 10mm away at the bottom on both sides or just one side.

If both then you can move one hinge a little to correct.

If only one side then either your door is warped a little or the frame is not parallel. May be other possibilities but those are the two that come to mind first.

So I have had another look at the hinges, looked at the whole picture as suggested in that video @CJhaughey

All hinges are on the same way as they are on all the other doors.

Door is sitting nicely in the frame, even gaps all round.

Hinge alignment is spot on, on both frame and door.

When door is closed, the gap on hinge side against the hinge stop is about 2mm all the way down

The gap on the striker stop side is 0mm at the top, 8mm at the middle and 10mm at bottom.

String line shows slight bow in middle of door, 3mm, I guess painting this has drawn more attention to it.

66 different combinations to try according to this...https://www.omnicalculator.com/statistics/combination?c=EUR&v=max:2000,selection:1.000000000000000,n:12,r:2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Perhaps a silly question, but are you sure the door was actually closing right before you went near it? Might it be that you are only noticing it now?

If this is a celtic tiger era house then it is likely that the joinery is probably all over the place, given the appalling tofu dregs build quality of the time.

Perhaps a silly question, but are you sure the door was actually closing right before you went near it? Might it be that you are only noticing it now?

If this is a celtic tiger era house then it is likely that the joinery is probably all over the place, given the appalling tofu dregs build quality of the time.

Built 2006

Thought there was some masking tape on the top of the architrave, so tried pulling it off, layer after layer until this was revealed, it was a good 25mm in places, so yeah maybe door was like that, only noticing it now that it's been painted...

I've a spare door upstairs that's the same size, so I'll try that one once it's been painted

• Advertisement
Advertisement