Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impact of Covid-19 on future build plans?

Options
  • 28-04-2020 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi folks,

We just received planning permission for our new build. The engineer has been on to us to start the process of getting the structural drawings done and the tender documents drawn up. However I'm nervous to get this process started (and pay the eng for it) when I'm not sure how this pandemic will impact things. I'm mostly concerned about getting quotes from builders now when potential material/labour prices could fall in the next few months and we end up paying more a lot for the house than it cost.

Does anyone have any ideas or opinions on how this pandemic will impact things? If you were in my position would you want to continue to go ahead as planned?

Obviously like all of you, we've been looking forward to starting this build for so long now and the thought of postponing it is disheartening. At the same time we don't want to make a stupid decision, so would appreciate other views on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nobody can foretell, at this stage, how this pandemic will impact things.

A few opinions here in a recent thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058070305

My own opinion would be that if you are in a financially secure position, carry on and at least go to tender. By the time tender documents are prepared, and priced/returned by builders, we will all have a better idea of the impact.

If you decide not to go ahead at that stage, your tender documents should be re-usable in the future (i.e. you could re-tender in 6 months).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

You can Self build if it's a normal house. Then you gets the advantages of
    On the fly changes free and some builder hammer you for these I know if one guy who blew threw 300 grand extra after the builder ripped him off
    Current labour rates and material costs
    No builder margin
    Choose your own suppliers and tradesmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CantFixIt

I agree with DOCARCH above, certainly go to tender if you can afford to. We're self building at the moment and it's afforded us some savings but I (personally) don't think there's going to be a short (<6-8 months) term disturbance in trades/builders. Banks and finance might be a different story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

At least get the structural drawings done, which you will need anyway and then decide on going to tender,

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement