Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best hill ewe for marginal or lowland

Options
  • 28-04-2020 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I plan to purchase hill ewes to cross with a lowland ram or cross a hill ram with my lowland cross Texel's and keep the girls i.e to have my own hilltex flock or similar ewes. To run mainly on lowland with access to a hill.. My land is more suitable to lowland sheep but I must keep so many hill cross for Glas. I like the Scottish blackface Perth and the Lanark as they aren't as wild as the mayo and I don't have a dog.

My questions are

A. Which is the most prolific hill ewe ?
    B. Which is the most easily finished hill ewe or it's lambs ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Hilltex outta lanarks make fine breeding sheep long lasting ewes seem till always have loads a milk aswell crossed back till texel they will leave you fine lambs off grass alone. Be plenty prolific enough for marginal ground I'm sure u dont want everything running with 2 lambs at foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Thanks. The Lanarks look like good sheep. Great length too. Well preferable 2 lambs per ewe as the marginal land only takes up 10% of the farm. But I also have some Belclare mixed in with the Texels. So 2 lambs per ewe, would be a possibility.

Advertisement