Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manual tile cutter recommendations

• 29-04-2020 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Could somebody please recommend to me a decent and reasonably priced manual tile cutter please, be it online or from a bricks and mortar store. I will be using it to cut ceramic floor tiles. I'm in no immediate rush for it so if it is at a store that's not open at present that's just fine. I will not be using it a lot so does not need to be in any way state of the art or allow for speedy cutting. Also, if you could recommend me a decent tile file.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

What size tiles are you wanting to cut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks policarp. The tiles are 315mm by 315mm and approx 6mm thick.

The rubi ones are supposed to be good,

Thanks BrownFinger. Just had a look in Ebay and the Rubi do seem very expensive. I've no doubt they are a nice bit of kit but they are pretty expensive for me as I would only be using it very occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Confusedcom

Screwfix have some cheap ones, Vitrex I think, will easily do the job for what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Pure manual is going to be hard work. I've a little electric table saw type that you put water into the base. The circular blade splashes it around. Quick and excellent finish. Can't remember the make but there

Looks similar to this - as in plastic body

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mac-allister-mtc500-500w-electric-tile-cutter-220-240v/776fx

Just did my kitchen.

KildareMan wrote: »
    Pure manual is going to be hard work. I've a little electric table saw type that you put water into the base. The circular blade splashes it around. Quick and excellent finish. Can't remember the make but there

Looks similar to this - as in plastic body

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mac-allister-mtc500-500w-electric-tile-cutter-220-240v/776fx

Just did my kitchen.

I dont think thats good advice at all.
    Manual ones take a fraction of the time to cut and they are not hard work.
    You will need a small grinder with a diamond disk to do the tricky cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Each to their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

erm.. youd need that anyway with a manual one. Tricky cuts dont become easier with a manual one :D

listermint wrote: »
    erm.. youd need that anyway with a manual one. Tricky cuts dont become easier with a manual one :D

Thats what im saying.
    A manual one for the long cuts and a grinder for the tricky bits.

• Advertisement

Thanks one and all for the replies. Confusedcom I just had a look on the screwfix website, sure enough they Virtex manual cutters they have are very affordable and probably perfect for me as I will just intend to do too small sized bathrooms at the moment. I will probably get a nippers and file for the difficult cuts. I'll have all the time in the world to be working at it in my own time.

Thanks again all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Confusedcom

Thanks one and all for the replies. Confusedcom I just had a look on the screwfix website, sure enough they Virtex manual cutters they have are very affordable and probably perfect for me as I will just intend to do too small sized bathrooms at the moment. I will probably get a nippers and file for the difficult cuts. I'll have all the time in the world to be working at it in my own time.

Thanks again all.
    No problem, just remember to mark the tile twice, top and bottom of the cut, will avoid large gaps and grout lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

In my experience you get a much better finish to the cut with a wet saw compared to a manual/dry saw.

Also if you end up with long skinny cuts they are just not possible with a manual saw, the tile will just keep cracking.

(Arguably you shouldnt need these cuts, but sometimes, behind a door jamb for example, the are required)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've never owned a Rubi cutter but their other tools are very good albeit expensive. I have three different "Sigma" cutters which have been used a lot over 15 years and are still in perfect working order.

I use this one all the time. Mightn't be much good to you if cutting diagonal.

https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/sigma-6-350mm-pull-handle-tile-cutter/p-e15082

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Advertisement