Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need very fast PC, but not for gaming

Options
  • 29-04-2020 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So what's the best setup for now? I have a Z370 mobo, with i5-8600K and 16GB of RAM and a nondescript SSD

PC is a workhorse, on 24/7, mostly used for allround work, but nothing heavy, no gaming, no video editing. But I like really crispy performance, programs starting instantly, files opening superfast. The one thing I need is very high quality video playback in 4k at at least 60Hz on my 32" high end Dell professional 4k monitor. Via display port. I also need HDMI out for digital sound as I have a good Pioneer receiver and Monitor Audio speakers. I'd class myself as a semi-audiophile. Currently I do both of these with a dedicated GPU, a RX570 4GB

I can just keep above setup and get a good NVMe M.2 SSD like this for GBP69.98?

Linky

Will that give a decent boost? I'm reasonably happy with the current performance but I would like to know is there a significantly faster setup out there?

Go full out upgrade? Perhaps there are systems out there now that have this sort of video performance on motherboard / CPU?

It's a long time since I ran AMD systems, but I am open to all ideas. Budget is flexible

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Is it for nudey type stuff you want it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Podge201 wrote: »
    Is it for nudey type stuff you want it for?

Whaddya got? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I went from a SATA 3 SSD to a much faster NVME SSD and for day to day stuff it really makes very little difference.
    It's real benefit would be moving very large files from one NVME to another. Or save very large video projects.
    What you have is already overkill for what you use it for. I guess you could build a Ryzen with APU if you want to cut down on power draw but it would be a waste of money really.

Can you name anything you do that feels slugish?

If you are an audiophile maybe spend the money on a high end external DAC/AMP and a nice set of headphones.

Advertisement