Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaking pipe under sink.

• 29-04-2020 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Good morning. I wonder does anyone have any advice.

The drainage pipes under my sink were badly fitted and I have a slow drip when I let the water out from the sink. The joint where the pipe that goes out through the wall and the down pipe from the sink meet are a bit off. I don't want to go changing them if I can avoid it. What would be the best thing to use around the joint to seal it. Would PVC cement do the trick? I had some tape around it which slowed it but didn't stop it. It's quiet a tight space as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yester wrote: »
    Good morning. I wonder does anyone have any advice.

The drainage pipes under my sink were badly fitted and I have a slow drip when I let the water out from the sink. The joint where the pipe that goes out through the wall and the down pipe from the sink meet are a bit off. I don't want to go changing them if I can avoid it. What would be the best thing to use around the joint to seal it. Would PVC cement do the trick? I had some tape around it which slowed it but didn't stop it. It's quiet a tight space as well.

I'd try some sealant... photos would help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

First thing I would try is to give the joint a tighten.

Even a 1/8 inch turn might solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

I'll put up a couple of photos in a minute.

"IMG"://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=511267&stc=1&d=1588147855"IMG"

Sorry ,first time trying to upload a pic. I think you can see that the pipes don't quiet match up as there is a slight angle. I don't think I can tighten them anymore as they are fairly wedged in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

Ah.. ok. Ignore my previous post.

Sealant should do the trick.

Make sure it's clean and completely dry.

PVC or waving cement would be the thing to use.

• Advertisement

Excellent. Thanks guys. Any particular type of sealant you would recommend or is it all pretty much the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Excellent. Thanks guys. Any particular type of sealant you would recommend or is it all pretty much the same?

If you can't get sealant (hardware stores closed), try a skim of Vaseline. Should work if the leak is small and easy to clean off if it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

LS-X would do this, handy to have a tube of it anyway as it's so useful and quick curing.

Idioteque wrote: »
    LS-X would do this, handy to have a tube of it anyway as it's so useful and quick curing.

I've ordered this online so hopefully it will do the job. thanks again.

Advertisement