Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing Rail and Post

Options
  • 29-04-2020 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all, got a price for rail and post fencing supply and fit €16.50 per meter. 100 meters so €1650 altogether. I tought was quite reasonable. Whats the going rate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

momac1985 wrote: »
    Hi all, got a price for rail and post fencing supply and fit €16.50 per meter. 100 meters so €1650 altogether. I tough was quite reasonable. Whats the going rate?

You’d want to be getting a bit more info on that price. What type of posts and railing? What size? Is it treated? Treated from the inside like PDM? How much for the labour? How many rails? 3, 4? As a reference point I have a quote I got a few weeks ago, I’ll go through it here in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭jtown

Very interested in this too - I've 62 metres to do in my place

Right - I'm far from an expert on this but I read up and made a few calls and drove around pre-lockdown:

I have around 90 metres posts and railing needed for a new build in the midlands. The 2 things I specifically wanted was really good quality timber that will last and 4 rails between the posts because in my opinion 3 looks a bit skimpy. That's just a personal preference.

So after some research and recommendations what I have settled on is pressure creosoted timber from PDM. (A company in my locoality stocks it). Here is an article about them - https://irishtractor.ie/pdm-is-50-years-in-business

Now PDM posts and railing is not cheap so here's the costings for me:
    75 rails @ €17.50 incl VAT = €1310
    40 posts @ €14.50 incl VAT = €580

Fortunately I'm vat registered so will get back 23% on that!!

So now onto labour. So rang a few builders to see who they would recommend in the area and they all come back with the same name so I went to look at a bit of his work and was happy with what I saw. So I gave him a buzz and he came and looked at the job.

He is usually around €6 per metre which would cost €540 but he said we'd leave it at €500 for cash. And he should have it done in a day and a half.

So all told my outlay is:
    €1,890 -23% plus €500 = €1,955

Hope that is of help and didn't confuse you too much.

Now as an aside could someone recommend best black paint for fence. It's already treated but I want it jet black so should I go normal black creosote or should I get a black fence paint from Ronseal or one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Have you considered concrete posts? will last a lifetime and easy to replace the timber lats. Our fence fell down this year, all stakes rotted at the base, more than 10 years old though. Propped it back up for now with a few stakes, but i'll be putting a hedging in front of it, and let the hedge take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭jtown

What spacing is best to do for rail and post ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Good info thanks. Not sure how kosher that arrangement with regards to the VAT is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

So take away 23% for VAT and posts and railings cost me €1455

Ssshh

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Good info thanks. Not sure how kosher that arrangement with regards to the VAT is though.

What do you mean? I'm VAT registered as you can see above!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jtown wrote: »
    What spacing is best to do for rail and post ?

4 rails for a 4ft fence.

momac1985 wrote: »
    Hi all, got a price for rail and post fencing supply and fit €16.50 per meter. 100 meters so €1650 altogether. I tought was quite reasonable. Whats the going rate?

Did you purchase after? Mine is going up week after next all going well. Not looking forward to the painting!

• Advertisement
Advertisement