Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof type for extension

Options
  • 29-04-2020 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

We are trying to decide on a final design for a rear extension we are planning on doing soon (much needed extra space with the kids). We have recently disregarded a side extension of 5 sqm linked to the main rear extension of 20 sqm as there wasn't enough room left for a side entrance when all was said and done. It does make the groundworks a little less complicated and I'm hoping it gets rid of the need for a total flat roof now.

What I am wondering is it possible to have a lean to roof continuing on from the existing kitchen extension projecting out to the same distance leading into a flat roof for the rest of the extension?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What I am wondering is it possible to have a lean to roof continuing on from the existing kitchen extension projecting out to the same distance leading into a flat roof for the rest of the extension?

It is possible to do what you have outlined. It just needs to be designed/detailed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Confusedcom

DOCARCH wrote: »
    It is possible to do what you have outlined. It just needs to be designed/detailed properly.

Yeh I thought so, the roofing part is really starting to bug me! The only issue is the extension will extend beyond the gable wall so I assume the blockwork would have to be built up to roof level at the rear of the section which extends beyond the existing house? Is this ever done or am I at nothing and better off with a complete flat roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Theres numerous ways of doing it keeping what you want
    A hip could be carried around the gable end if needed.
    Honestly though photos and drawings would need to be posted up to get a proper idea of the set up

Theres numerous ways of doing it keeping what you want
    A hip could be carried around the gable end if needed.
    Honestly though photos and drawings would need to be posted up to get a proper idea of the set up

Thanks for that, I have a couple of images which might explain better what I am thinking. I just want to to settle on a roof design so I am able to ask roofing contractors for prices based on something I am happy with. I would Ike some height in the extension so that's why I was thinking of continuing the lean to across beyond the edge of the gable wall and then combine into a flat roof at the front part of the extension. Presumably it would be easier to tie in as well to the existing roof and negate the need to build the new extension to the side of the lean to. I don't know if this is feasible though or likely to be complicated for a roofer? I've loads of experience in other areas of the build but never built a roof.

You could hip the whole roof around.
    And be left with a small mono gable at the utility wall facing towards the front if the house .
    This roof would incorporate 2 valley's towards the rear of the house and a hiped end at the rear wall of the extension.
    The only issue would be the roof pitch would be low
    But youd eliminate a flat roof and trying to marry in parapet walls .
    The fascia and soffit and gutters would continue around the extension

• Advertisement

You could hip the whole roof around.
    And be left with a small mono gable at the utility wall facing towards the front if the house .
    This roof would incorporate 2 valley's towards the rear of the house and a hiped end at the rear wall of the extension.
    The only issue would be the roof pitch would be low
    But youd eliminate a flat roof and trying to marry in parapet walls .
    The fascia and soffit and gutters would continue around the extension

I think the roof has made me realise how out of my depth I would be with the planning and detail elements of this job! Groundworks I can handle, plumber by trade and not afraid of a bit of hard work. I have it worked out and it's doable for me. It's the design of elements like this that will be the death of me, tempted to try an architect to do exact plans but don't particularly want to outlay the cash when I'm still not too sure if I can afford the whole project in the first place.

Any idea what sort of money I'd be looking at for a roof construction from wall plate Bonzo, a ballpark range would help a lot! I'd love to only have to do the inside of the shell and I have a price for groundworks which seems reasonable but not for blockwork and roofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

why not simple flat roof with small paraphet and EPDM layer on top. Keep it relatively simple and probably less costly than hips etc.

listermint wrote: »
    why not simple flat roof with small paraphet and EPDM layer on top. Keep it relatively simple and probably less costly than hips etc.

They wouldn't be much difference in price between the two done properly I'd hazard a guestimate between 5-7k incl materials less than a week for 2 good chipies

I never think it looks right trying to detail a flat roof parapet in to a sloping roof detail esp with such a low pitch on the orignal kitchen lean to. To many weathering details to get right.
    Prop 3 choices

1. ½& ½ - carry the lean too straight over the extension then run the remaining roof area as a flat roof under the lean to roof. A few details there that could prove troublesome at the eaves.
    2. Get rid of the lean to roof over the kitchen and warm deck the whole area either Epdm of fibreglass flat roof finish. No awkward tie ins.
    3. Put a tradional low pitch hiped and valley tile roof over the whole lot matching in with the orignal kitchen lean to.
    Could also raise the collar ties in such a roof to give extra celing height a vaulted celing.

Advertisement