Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should city centres be pedestrianised and the space given to restaurants and bars?

Options
  • 29-04-2020 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Was reading how the Lithuanian capital is doing this and giving the space to bars, restaurants and cafes to allow them to set up outdoor tables to allow social distancing. I know many will object as it’s their god given right to drive a diesel spewing SUV through a city centre, but I think it sounds like a great idea, and would be the only way I would consider visiting one of these places in the next few months at least.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/28/lithuanian-capital-to-be-turned-into-vast-open-air-cafe-vilnius

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

Set the tone for a balanced debate fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

vandriver wrote: »
    Set the tone for a balanced debate fail.

There hasn’t been a balanced debate in the history of boards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

Harpon wrote: »

You're upholding a fine tradition then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the trouble is not the SUV drivers in this case, it's the hoards of brass monkeys that have been deprived of begging money for a month that would be all over you if you tried to have a meal outside in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes I have been delighted to see new bike lanes have opened up in the city centre, going under the radar to avoid the usual ire from entitled car drivers. There's a new contra-flow one that goes up to Kildare St from Merrion Square, and they've taken the parking spaces off some of the South Quays to put in a cycle lane.
    There are streets like Capel St and South William St which have mostly bars and restaurants, yet have parking on both sides of the street and no room for pedestrians. Getting the parking out of there would be easy wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

the trouble is not the SUV drivers in this case, it's the hoards of brass monkeys that have been deprived of begging money for a month that would be all over you if you tried to have a meal outside in the city centre.

+1

Was about to post similar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Was reading how the Lithuanian capital is doing this and giving the space to bars, restaurants and cafes to allow them to set up outdoor tables to allow social distancing. I know many will object as it’s their god given right to drive a diesel spewing SUV through a city centre, but I think it sounds like a great idea, and would be the only way I would consider visiting one of these places in the next few months at least.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/28/lithuanian-capital-to-be-turned-into-vast-open-air-cafe-vilnius

How would people get into the city centre safely? If you use public transport in any meaningful numbers then you will risk the spread.

Indeed along with allot of re-regs posting stuff to stir the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The only traffic that should be in town is deliveries, public transport and those who have to be there at times when public transport is not an option tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

This is a fantastic approach. The tide is turning space for people , bye bye cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a grand idea with a flaw, the Irish summer is a very unreliable friend 9 years in 10. So it could work but only to a point. In Waterford where I live John Roberts square would be ideal. It's already a pedestrian zone with a link down to George's Court. The Apple Market is likewise pedestrians first. You could go from the quays at the Barronstrand to Apple Market with nary a road open with very little adaptation.

• Advertisement

It's a grand idea with a flaw, the Irish summer is a very unreliable friend 9 years in 10. So it could work but only to a point. In Waterford where I live John Roberts square would be ideal. It's already a pedestrian zone with a link down to George's Court. The Apple Market is likewise pedestrians first. You could go from the quays at the Barronstrand to Apple Market with nary a road open with very little adaptation.

These businesses would be allowed to construct canopy’s, otherwise it would be pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/car-bans-and-pedestrianised-college-green-part-of-radical-covid-19-plan-to-re-open-dublin-1.4247910

This is great news, I can't believe it's happening, it took something like covid for DCC to get the finger out. These measures will be put in place for 12-18 months with some remaining permanently.

Sounds great, hopefully the extent of their ambition is not just college green. The likes of Dawson street, baggot street, chapel street, south William street would all be great and really benefit from pedestrianisation. Cities should be for people not cars. You can’t have a nice meal or drink outside in Dublin without cars a metre or so away spewing diesel over you, the noise of them makes for a real unpleasant atmosphere too, hopefully there are some good things to come out of Covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

But, how will I transport my Brown Thomas shopping bags Back to south County Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

But, how will I transport my Brown Thomas shopping bags Back to south County Dublin?

Rickshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

Never work here,no room,and inundated with smack heads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I don't venture into city centres, that is where hipsters, millennials and generation zoomer live.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Get the "DORT"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id rather SUV’s outside cafes and bars than hoards of junkies. Dublin isnt ready for more pedestrianised and open spaces, the boardwalk, the spire, christ church, garden of rememberance. We have too many problems with drink and heroin to in any way pull this off successfully.

Road traffic creates a level of safety that keeps people a lot safer than an open space with seating would.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/car-bans-and-pedestrianised-college-green-part-of-radical-covid-19-plan-to-re-open-dublin-1.4247910

This is great news, I can't believe it's happening, it took something like covid for DCC to get the finger out. These measures will be put in place for 12-18 months with some remaining permanently.

Disgraceful plans. Must be the first doff of the cap to these green ***** to get them into government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Disgraceful plans. Must be the first doff of the cap to these green ***** to get them into government.

“And cars restricted” having a guess at some of the locations that would be impacted, id say some of my clients on south william st, fade street etc.. will love being told “ohh i know youve a problem and its mid day and your dinner rush / bar only starts in a few hours but ive to wait till 8am tomorrow to get to you”

Id rather SUV’s outside cafes and bars than hoards of junkies. Dublin isnt ready for more pedestrianised and open spaces, the boardwalk, the spire, christ church, garden of rememberance. We have too many problems with drink and heroin to in any way pull this off successfully.

Road traffic creates a level of safety that keeps people a lot safer than an open space with seating would.

Road traffic kills thousands every year from air pollution alone.

As for problems with drink and heroin, how would these plans make an iota of difference there? They wouldn’t result in any more or less drink/heroin problems than their currently is. Heroin addicts congregate in areas near methadone clinics, you rarely if ever see any in other parts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

False opposition. Can we not have no SUVs and no 'brass monkeys'. Win-win!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I always found it mildly amusing when there was talk of pedestrianising College Green and all the bohemian types where talking about a “civic plaza” where they probably think people will recite poetry and discuss spirituality and drink coffee from fancy little cups. In reality it would be covered in fast food outlets, aggressive beggers, junkies, and pigeons.

Also, the weather is usually shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

“And cars restricted” having a guess at some of the locations that would be impacted, id say some of my clients on south william st, fade street etc.. will love being told “ohh i know youve a problem and its mid day and your dinner rush / bar only starts in a few hours but ive to wait till 8am tomorrow to get to you”

If only they had ordered enough or you had delivered enough in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

It's a nice idea, but one that flies in the face of reality, there's a reason Ireland has a pub culture rather then a cafe culture, there's really only 3 or 4 weeks a year you'd want to sit outside in our mercurial, Atlantic island weather systems (except perhaps this summer, feckin' typical!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Should have happened long ago, regardless of COVID-19.

But George Hook et al. need to drive across town to pick up their new TV in Arnotts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

They are different. Yes some public spaces are ruined by junkies but many of these proposals will be maintained by private business owners who wont tolerate junkies ruining their business

And regarding the weather, it is completely overexaggerated how much it rains in Dublin at least. The number of days where it is so rainy that you couldnt sit outside are very small. As for general just cloudy cool weather which is our typical day, it is fine, people adapt, many cafes across the city have extremely popular outdoor terraces year round despite the weather not being ideal. People simply enjoy being outdoors, doesnt have to be under a mediterranean sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Eric Cartman's plan is actually to run over junkies and drunks in SUV's I think, a sort of Death Race 2000 for the middle classes ;)

• Advertisement

You might think so, but I would recommend a trip down Quay street in galway where a fair few of the bars, restaurants and cafes have outdoor seating and its full with patrons most of the time. Only thing that puts some off is when it rains and even then a lot of places have awnings that provide cover.

I've strolled down there on the coldest and wettest days and observed a lot of outdoor seating being used.

Advertisement