Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should city centres be pedestrianised and the space given to restaurants and bars?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

silly you.
    no it's about cyclists.

I work in the city centre. I either use Public Transport or I walk to get there.
    The biggest continual threat I face is from cyclists whizzing around the footpaths or the (current) pedestrianised areas.

Have you been harmed? I never hear of anyone being harmed by bicycles. Only cars kill and maim people. 16 pedestrians have been killed by cars this year.
    Why are you scared of bikes? They're harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Crazy self righteous cyclists should be banned from the city. Big businesses will take legal action to remove those Mickey mouse bike lanes that dcc recently and illegally installed once covid-19 is over.

Phil.x wrote: »
    Crazy self righteous cyclists should be banned from the city. Big businesses will take legal action to remove those Mickey mouse bike lanes that dcc recently and illegally installed once covid-19 is over.

Why do bike lanes bother you?

Why do bike lanes bother you?

Why do cars bother you?

The biggest problem is our weather, or more so the unpredictable nature of it.

March 17th in Ireland I've experienced everything from snow to t-shirt and shorts weather.

Large parts of continental Europe the weather is quite predictable. I lived in Central Europe for a few years and we put away our wet weather gear in around September, and mid November took out our cold weather gear. Enjoying open pedestrianized city areas is very comfortable even in sub-zero temperatures, so long as its dry.

Without sounding flippant, if they were going to open wide pedestrianized areas, they'd also have to roof them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why do cars bother you?

They kill people, cause pollution, are extremely inefficient, block the implementation of more efficient forms of public transport, cause noise pollution, clutter streetscapes, make movement around cities difficult for pedestrians, encourage obesity and laziness

Why don't cars bother you? There are no benefits to cars other than fast movement, and if we stopped prioritising them we could develop many other fast means of transporting much larger numbers of people around the city

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

A couple of painted cycle and walking lanes, a few oul plastic bollards and some people lose there shi* about it... typical Irish attitude! We can't do what our european neighbours do(not UK)....

Fact is that the days of private cars driving freely around the core centre of the city, which is primarily entertainment not shopping, are numbered.

While a few tins of paint and plastic sticks won't resolve all our issues, making the city core more attractive to people will go a long way to helping the pubs and restaurants and small independent retailers to really make the most of any economic recovery...

Not to mention when people do return to their offices in the coming number of months they should be able to choose to travel to work independently without the worry of being killed or put into a wheelchair for life by motor vehicles... So this small improvement in safety is a good start...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    A couple of painted cycle and walking lanes, a few oul plastic bollards and some people lose there shi* about it... typical Irish attitude! We can't do what our european neighbours do(not UK)....

Boris has asked anyone who can walk or cycle to work to do so. I can't ever imagine any of our lot coming out and saying such a thing, given the vitriol held against cyclists in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Boris has asked anyone who can walk or cycle to work to do so. I can't ever imagine any of our lot coming out and saying such a thing, given the vitriol held against cyclists in this country.

True, the govt. here also need to legalise eScooters...

wakka12 wrote: »
    They kill people, cause pollution, are extremely inefficient, block the implementation of more efficient forms of public transport, cause noise pollution, clutter streetscapes, make movement around cities difficult for pedestrians, encourage obesity and laziness

Why don't cars bother you? There are no benefits to cars other than fast movement, and if we stopped prioritising them we could develop many other fast means of transporting much larger numbers of people around the city

Who asked you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Who asked you!

Mod: @Phil.x - take 24 hours off the thread to reconsider your attitude/posting style.

Who asked you!

I would have posted the same thing.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    True, the govt. here also need to legalise eScooters...

Motorists hate scooters too I would be shocked if they allowed them here. Although people seem to go around on them anyway, good on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Genius idea, Phil - take 56k cyclists off their bikes, just as public transport capacity is decimated. Have you thought about how these cyclists are going to get to work?

Advertisement