Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Vikings)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Markitron wrote: »
    I had a look at the thread on Era, one of the Digital Foundry lads was in there saying the comparison that people are basing this off is shoddy. I'll wait to see what they say.

I watched the DF video last night. The PS5 version is practically identical to how it was before, the patch mostly just focused on the XSX/XSS.

I don't know why this game is causing so many people to freak out but its weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Markitron wrote: »
    I watched the DF video last night. The PS5 version is practically identical to how it was before, the patch mostly just focused on the XSX/XSS.

I don't know why this game is causing so many people to freak out but its weird.

Its simple, the optimization is terrible on the Series X vs the PS5. In order to fix the FPS drops Ubisoft took the easy and lazy way out of it. Instead of actually fixing and optimising the game properly on Series X they just dropped the lower resolution threshold which is an absolute joke. The Series X now drops to 1188p in some scenes in order to keep a rock solid 60fps. So you have a more powerful GPU in the Series X running at 1188p while the PS5 is happy to run at 60fps in a much higher resolution.

Its a cop out from Ubisoft. Yes I know the game plays much better on Series X now but just dropping resolutions in order to fix screen tearing and fps drops is a cheap solution. The game is still not optimised for Series X or even PS5 properly and my bet is, it never will be as it was developed primarily with the last gen consoles in mind.

Two things annoy me about Valhalla, 1) its a Ubisoft game, it still has a mass of bugs and it is not optimised in any shape or form properly for the new generation of consoles and 2) A buggy Ubisoft game is being used to benchmark and compare next gen consoles that are both clearly able to run and perform alot higher than they currently are. This game was developed on last gen hardware and then "optimised" for the next gen. I take the performance comparisons with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Hoping to get some time to crack into this the next few days. In Odyssey general feeling was female character was best, what's thoughts on this one?

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Hoping to get some time to crack into this the next few days. In Odyssey general feeling was female character was best, what's thoughts on this one?

I went with Kassandra in Odyssey and didn't regret it for a second, when I replayed it, I went with Kassandra again cos Alexios felt off to me.

I'm the opposite this time, female Eivor seems off to me. Thing is, unlike Odyssey, you can switch between them whenever you want so you may as well see for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I've just landed in Blighty. Do the boat songs improve at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I've just landed in Blighty. Do the boat songs improve at all.

The Stories are better.

I think the only time I've used a boat is for raids. Why bother when the horse can swim now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I think the only time I've used a boat is for raids. Why bother when the horse can swim now.

To bring along your Viking brethren? :)

Ha just did the sync point in the north of Hamtunscire , nice nod to the towers in
    Far Cry games

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Finding it hard to finish this, have alliances with everyone up to where I am in the story.
    Sigurd is a captive of some captain and Fulke is not nice

Spent nearly 70 hours unlocking sync points in places I have no buisness in (pwr lvl 161)

but its not grabbing me like Origins and Odyssey did, dont think its the characters as I am generally not arsed, its like it has gone backwards from being a stealthy ninja game to "raids" and open combat. I dont mind that if I had never played another Ass Creed game but not being able to clear an area without being spotted is one of the things I really like about these games.

• Advertisement

I've 3 places on the west of the map left to do now, 100 hours in. So thats 18/21 areas cleared. By my reckoning the story missions take about 10 - 15 minutes each so that should take up 25-35 hours over all, that is a serious amount of busy work added to take me to 100 hours. There are just too many areas to take over and as yet I don't see the point to it even after this long, the main story beats you trigger when you return home take far to long to reveal.

I'm not sure the game ever tells you what the feast buff is or how to actually use it but you ring the bell at the door of the longhouse which I still haven't actually bothered to do.

I've actively been avoiding combat as there is no point to it given how little XP you get so I just run to the loot/objectives. That is not good game design. I also miss the stealth and being able to clear areas without being seen.

I was thinking about it and it crossed my mind that maybe they need to change direction again and maybe go more like Dishonoured perhaps and more story/assassin focused?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Davy05

How long does the Asgard section go on for? I'm really not feeling it and just want it out of the way now.

Davy05 wrote: »
    How long does the Asgard section go on for? I'm really not feeling it and just want it out of the way now.

You can go back to England at any time and revisit it later! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked this up yesterday despite not being able to get into the previous 2 games. About 5hrs in and its slow enough going. Have encountered a decent few bugs so far so can only imagine how bad it was before the patch. Combat feels really off to me, hit registration is really bad and enemies behave weirdly. Had first real boss fight there and seemed like the background music was missing or something, was a bit strange.

Finding the treasure a bit of a chore but maybe I'm not used to the mini puzzle mechanics. Interested to see if it improves any once I get to England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

skerry wrote: »
    Picked this up yesterday despite not being able to get into the previous 2 games. About 5hrs in and its slow enough going. Have encountered a decent few bugs so far so can only imagine how bad it was before the patch. Combat feels really off to me, hit registration is really bad and enemies behave weirdly. Had first real boss fight there and seemed like the background music was missing or something, was a bit strange.

Finding the treasure a bit of a chore but maybe I'm not used to the mini puzzle mechanics. Interested to see if it improves any once I get to England.

Sounds like it isn't great so far...what are you playing on ?

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Sounds like it isn't great so far...what are you playing on ?

Playing on Series X. I havent really made much headway on it yet. Just think the combat isn't the best so far but a lot of skills to be unlocked so that may change.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got to England, and quickly lost interest. The bugs didn't help, but it just didn't hold my attention like i'd hoped it would. Cancelled my UPlay+, but may give it another go in a few months.

Bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs!

Y'all crazy.

This game is practically bug free!

Glitches, on the other hand :D

I guess I'm nearing the end now , I'm shaking my head at this point as the plot goes out the window. Why do we Major Spoiler alert
    fight Basim, couldn't make any sense of it
    ?

The only thing that might make sense is that
    Eivor is Odin so he is Loki
    that would be some grade A nonsense but I guess we'll see when I get back to it later.

Just finished the first major questline with the Ragnarsonns and just did a couple of missions
    in Asgard, seems I'm underlevelled so I might come back later

Need to get a move on with the game, need to finish it before starting Cyberpunk.

• Advertisement

Can you call up the Vikings in your boat to help you on land with enemies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I think that's where you go unviking like and go stealth, I prefer to run in swinging axes like a proper viking

About 8 hours in now and having a better time with this. Combat seems a bit better. Was using 2 handed axe and using one hander and flail now. Spent last couple of hours tipping around between mission objectives but wandering off and getting distracted by treasure markers which was enjoyable and reminded me of chasing down ?s in Witcher 3. Looks fantastic too which helps.

I'm about level 25 already though so no idea what level cap is. I had a mission there and it was right beside an area that had 160 power requirement so didn't go snooping around there.

The accents are nowhere near as cringe worthy as Origins and Odyssey. Could not tolerate those forced accents. Dont know why Ubisoft try to be authentic with the accents, they remind me of Alexei Sayle in the young ones., not able for them at all. Actually tuned me off the previous games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

skerry wrote: »
    About 8 hours in now and having a better time with this. Combat seems a bit better. Was using 2 handed axe and using one hander and flail now. Spent last couple of hours tipping around between mission objectives but wandering off and getting distracted by treasure markers which was enjoyable and reminded me of chasing down ?s in Witcher 3. Looks fantastic too which helps.

I'm about level 25 already though so no idea what level cap is. I had a mission there and it was right beside an area that had 160 power requirement so didn't go snooping around there.

The accents are nowhere near as cringe worthy as Origins and Odyssey. Could not tolerate those forced accents. Dont know why Ubisoft try to be authentic with the accents, they remind me of Alexei Sayle in the young ones., not able for them at all. Actually tuned me off the previous games

I wonder what the Irish DLC accents will be like.

Don't even want to think about it :D Tom Cruise from Far and Away schtyle

You meet a few Irish around England and the don't sound too bad to me anyway!
    Anything's a huge step up from the hate crime that was Shay Cormac! :D

There was Brigid in the main game, they were going for Snatch there I think but it was just annoying and not at all funny a bit like that film.

Advertisement