Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Vikings)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

It's really turning into a bit of a slog. I have one more region of England left, which requires 340 strength and I was at about 260 after completing the previous story mission. I've played for multiple hours since, gone and assassinated every order member and zealot who isn't in that final region, done a load of side activities, and I'm still only at 300. There are no missions for me to do, other than contracts that I need to wait 24 hours to respawn, a Valka quest that needs even more strength than the main quest, and things like maxing the village level and killing all of the order, both of which require me to go into the region I'm too low level for.

Normally when people complain about ubisoft open world games having too much stuff all over the map it doesn't bother me because I just ignore it and enjoy the game, but in this case it seems you're forced to wade through it to get to a sufficient level to continue the story.

quokula wrote: »
    It's really turning into a bit of a slog. I have one more region of England left, which requires 340 strength and I was at about 260 after completing the previous story mission. I've played for multiple hours since, gone and assassinated every order member and zealot who isn't in that final region, done a load of side activities, and I'm still only at 300. There are no missions for me to do, other than contracts that I need to wait 24 hours to respawn, a Valka quest that needs even more strength than the main quest, and things like maxing the village level and killing all of the order, both of which require me to go into the region I'm too low level for.

Normally when people complain about ubisoft open world games having too much stuff all over the map it doesn't bother me because I just ignore it and enjoy the game, but in this case it seems you're forced to wade through it to get to a sufficient level to continue the story.

Majority of XP is tied to the collectibles

Majority of XP is tied to the collectibles

Why would they do that? I got tired pretty quickly of the boring "clean up" phase after a raid or mission where you'd walk around the area hitting R3, see there's a treasure in a building or under the ground, and walk around it in circles looking for the window / breakable wall / well / movable object to get to it.

Especially once I realised no armour I picked up ever seemed to be preferable to the starter stuff, ingots are easy to come by, and you can just buy iron and leather in shops. The only thing I cared about picking up anymore was the skill books.

And I never go out of my way to collect artefacts or whatever because I just don't see the point. Though I may have a few hours of grinding my way through them if I want to continue the proper game.

If you are clearing areas as you go you will hit 400 long before the end of game, makes builds redundant (400 is max level and everything on the skill tree unlocked and used). Even just doing some of the collectibles in passing even I'd say you'd be max level.

This game felt way more like the RPG stuff was just for show and more tacked on than the last 2 even the reduced gear and the set bonus's were redundant for the most part.

I ended up going into the last area under levelled and it turned out to be fairly straightforward.

Ending spoilers:
    I found the whole thing incredibly anticlimactic, like there was no real ending at all. You complete the final area, which actually turned out to be very short, where I was expecting a build up to a massive siege of Winchester on par with some of the earlier regions, Alfred gets away, you go back to the village, a little box pops up saying you've pacified England, and that's it.

I guess the Blacksmith's wedding that follows is supposed to be some kind of ending, but the really stupid joke they persisted with of his wife being incomprehensible really takes the sheen off it as some kind of emotional crescendo. The whole time I was expecting a Saxon army to crash the wedding ahead of the "real" finale.

So after that (and after the equal disappointment of getting my village up to level 6 which resulted in... nothing whatsoever happening), I picked off the last of the Templars, went to see the grandmaster, thinking finally the big finale battle must be coming now, only for it to be a short conversation in a cut scene for yet another anticlimax. At least there it took me to a very picturesque village, and had some nice cinematic musical accompaniment as I rode away, which I think was the closest thing to an ending the game had. But then I just continued riding, realised there was feck all left to do, and was left wondering "is that it?"

Of course there is all the nonsense with Sigurd in Norway before all that which seems to be considered the big ending, but I just found the whole thing a bizarre distraction, and also fairly disappointing because earlier in the game I found the relationship with Eivor and Sigurd compelling, but then when Sigurd basically just sulked for 20 hours before suddenly popping up, insisting we go to Norway, a bunch of AC mythology **** happens, then Eivor just decides this is stupid let's go back, and Sigurd just shrugs his shoulders and follows. I just didn't get the point of any of it.

I did enjoy much of the game. There were lots of story arcs I enjoyed, from Halfdan to Ceolbert to Villi and more, many of the regions had very entertaining self contained stories, particularly those which gave you meaningful choices about who to trust or who to side with, and then the gameplay was enjoyable throughout too, with the best combat in the series and the mix of raiding, stealth and archery all being equally viable meaning you can always switch it up whenever you started getting bored playing one way.

I just wished they'd been a bit more disciplined, they could have cut the game down by about 50% and made for a much tighter experience and tied up everything a bit more nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

To the guy who said he is underpowered for the 340 land...
    My problem is I love the horseback riding throughout the land I'm simply overpowered for the stage I'm at and the fights are to easy!!
    I have over 130 hours in and I'm power level 215 only :P
    I also found Odyssey easy as I didn't rush through it I liked to take my time
    and for what it's worth I find Valhalla a far better game, Odyssey was to easy and arcadey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

To the guy who said he is underpowered for the 340 land...
    My problem is I love the horseback riding throughout the land I'm simply overpowered for the stage I'm at and the fights are to easy!!
    I have over 130 hours in and I'm power level 215 only :P
    I also found Odyssey easy as I didn't rush through it I liked to take my time
    and for what it's worth I find Valhalla a far better game, Odyssey was to easy and arcadey.

I loved Odyssey but thought Valhalla was the better game too, I prefer how it doesn't inundate you with gear and sidequests. The quest log in Odyssey was downright intimidating at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Where can you buy nicol ingots?

I read online you can buy them from your trader after you found one, but now joy.

Its a hard grind to get the settlement builds up. I find raiding is fun for a few rounds but gets a grind, simialir to finding all the loot.

The raven, its the first AC game I have not really used it much, as Odin sight finds most things but is still pretty useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Where can you buy nicol ingots?

I read online you can buy them from your trader after you found one, but now joy.

Its a hard grind to get the settlement builds up. I find raiding is fun for a few rounds but gets a grind, simialir to finding all the loot.

The raven, its the first AC game I have not really used it much, as Odin sight finds most things but is still pretty useless.

This map will show you where you can find free ones
    https://mapgenie.io/assassins-creed-valhalla/maps/england

This map will show you where you can find free ones
    https://mapgenie.io/assassins-creed-valhalla/maps/england

That is a cool map !

Tell me, if anyone has done so, do the raids get you eventually build up everything in the settlement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ivaar is a gas man altogether. I wish I had him on my crew.

That is a cool map !

Tell me, if anyone has done so, do the raids get you eventually build up everything in the settlement.

Yes, you will need to do ALL of the raids and progress through almost all of the story to unlock the highest level of the settlement but tbh it wasn't worth it. You can unlock all of the actual useful buildings early on, then pretty much everything after is just feast buffs which I barely every used.

Markitron wrote: »
    Yes, you will need to do ALL of the raids and progress through almost all of the story to unlock the highest level of the settlement but tbh it wasn't worth it. You can unlock all of the actual useful buildings early on, then pretty much everything after is just feast buffs which I barely every used.
    Yeah I find the whole settlement system not that great. As you said half the buildings you unlock are pointless. Another thing I find odd is that all stores in the map have the same weapons, runes customisation items on sale. You'd think they would actually have each region have their own items instead of most only being found via chests

Yeah I find the whole settlement system not that great. As you said half the buildings you unlock are pointless. Another thing I find odd is that all stores in the map have the same weapons, runes customisation items on sale. You'd think they would actually have each region have their own items instead of most only being found via chests

Yea they got a lot of things right with the settlement, economy and items but they were far from perfect.

Yea they got a lot of things right with the settlement, economy and items but they were far from perfect.
    Yeah loot isn't great. I just stick with the brigandine set and use varins axe and blacksmith Hammer. It's a waste of resources updating gear that , once you get better items, won't use again.

Yeah loot isn't great. I just stick with the brigandine set and use varins axe and blacksmith Hammer. It's a waste of resources updating gear that , once you get better items, won't use again.

I like the massively reduced scope of gear, they may not have differentiated it enough but at least I didn't end up with about 5000 items like I did in Odyssey.

I like the massively reduced scope of gear, they may not have differentiated it enough but at least I didn't end up with about 5000 items like I did in Odyssey.

Oh I agree that Odyssey had too much gear but even have weapons or gear pieces be rewarded for killing order members or zealots would work

Id nearly prefer more gear.

I know we upgrade etc, but I find that since I started, Im power 60 now and have 3 sets of mythical gear, but it is the same gear I used from the first hour, raven armour, Varins axe and a war hammer.

Ona side note, I found it funny, I went to a lvl 160 raid, no issue, but I removed all my skills points and got murdered !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Loved this game, bugs other points aside. I have finished it but got no end game credits or anything, I am not bothered with codex quests is there no ending
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I am watching vikings on prime, its great to know the references after playing valhalla :)

• Advertisement

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Loved this game, bugs other points aside. I have finished it but got no end game credits or anything, I am not bothered with codex quests is there no ending
    ?

First there is the main quest ending, then the present day ending, then Viking wars ending, then another ending from the end of the Order of the Ancients quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

First there is the main quest ending, then the present day ending, then Viking wars ending, then another ending from the end of the Order of the Ancients quest.

Only problem is they all suck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I tried this today and it worked, seems a very good bow so far

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Would have been nice if they had a system similar to Brotherhood where you could send Assassins out to do missions, but instead of Assassins, send your Vikings out. They could go out and do raids by themselves etc then and you get the reward. Atm, it's just that Jomsviking thing where the rewards are barely worth checking.

titan18 wrote: »
    Would have been nice if they had a system similar to Brotherhood where you could send Assassins out to do missions, but instead of Assassins, send your Vikings out. They could go out and do raids by themselves etc then and you get the reward. Atm, it's just that Jomsviking thing where the rewards are barely worth checking.

Yea I remember liking that system quite a bit at the time, think the last time they did it was AC4 maybe?

titan18 wrote: »

Yeah the jomsviking mechanic is pointless, there is no real point in them. Same with the buildings in the settlement, would make better sense if each building you build adds money to the clan which you can use yourself or even reduce the amount of buildings and instead have ability to upgrade them which bring better benefits like lower prices in the shops

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Yeah the jomsviking mechanic is pointless, there is no real point in them. Same with the buildings in the settlement, would make better sense if each building you build adds money to the clan which you can use yourself or even reduce the amount of buildings and instead have ability to upgrade them which bring better benefits like lower prices in the shops

I think they are adding an update soon to improve what you can do with your jomsviking.

I think they are adding an update soon to improve what you can do with your jomsviking.

Interesting. I just finished the game last night anyway but still have to complete Asgard missions, Order of Ancients and the last region.

Advertisement