Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last years garlic

Options
  • 29-04-2020 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭

I planted some Garlic plants last year around May.

The plants didn't do a whole lot of growth last Summer and so basically got ignored.

They are now showing strong growth and I'm just wondering if its possible for them to produce bulbs this year and if so when could I expect to harvest?

Comments

This is my first year planting garlic.
    I read that you should plant them before the shortest day of the year and havest before the longest.
    Longest is 20th of June according to google.
    Mine as look very beefy!

Planted mine in november by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

This is my first year planting garlic.
    I read that you should plant them before the shortest day of the year and havest before the longest.
    Longest is 20th of June according to google.
    Mine as look very beefy!

Planted mine in november by the way.

Yeah I spoke to someone who had garlic in the ground for a few seasons and pulled it, but it was very woody and inedible, so not sure if this is what I'll end up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

I have forgot to harvest garlic before and found it actually made some nice flowers in the autumn but when I have gone on to harvest clumps like this the following year the cloves have mostly been small and might just be good for planting again as they would be a bit to awkward to prepare for general use in the kitchen. I find the best time to plant garlic cloves to get a useful crop the following summer is September and they do best in full sun and kept as dry as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Garlic is usually planted Oct/Nov as they like a period of cold and harvested in July.
    May was too late to sow them, you could try harvesting them and if no good for eating you could use some of the cloves to sow later in the year.

Advertisement