Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media to Soarview ?

• 29-04-2020 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi

I live in a shared apartment and we want to change from Virgin Media to the free Soarview service. This raises a couple of questions I cannot find answers too.

- Can we get Soraview via our Virgin Media Box , if so how ? Can we get it even if we cancel our service ?

- If this is not possible any recommendations on a cheap soarview box ? Do we need to get and ariel ? Any recommendations on that ?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You can’t get Saorview on a Virgin Media box (though all of the channels on Saorview except RTE2+1 are available though the box to paying subscribers).
    Ill move this thread to Terrestrial where there should be no shortage of recommendations on boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

Unless your TV is ancient you should get Saorview on that. Just get an aerial installed and tune it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 barryshock

winston_1 wrote: »
    Unless your TV is ancient you should get Saorview on that. Just get an aerial installed and tune it in.

No way, I had no ideas it was built in to TV's . We have a smart tv so it should be capable. Is the aerial usually installed on the roof? What does a Soarview aerial look like? I'm now starting to ponder if we already I have one and I'm just unaware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

You will need an outdoor depending how far away from your nearest transmitter. Sometimes a cheap indoor will work

Check your town/village here https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

barryshock wrote: »
    No way, I had no ideas it was built in to TV's . We have a smart tv so it should be capable. Is the aerial usually installed on the roof? What does a Soarview aerial look like? I'm now starting to ponder if we already I have one and I'm just unaware of it.

A Soarview aerial looks like any other UHF aerial. There is nothing special about it. The roof is the recommended place to install an aerial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

You could got one step further and get a dual satellite and terrestrial aerial and get hundreds of channels (bbc, itv, etc) I used an indoor terrestrial aerial and worked perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭homer911

My Saorview "aerial" comprises a 1.5m length of coax cable with the last 15cm stripped back, wrapped around the back of the TV - it all depends on where you live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

barryshock wrote: »

Do you know the channel lineup on Saorview? Just Irish channels.

It may be worth exploring Freesat for UK channels in addition to Saorview.

Advertisement