Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back garden flooding

Options
  • 29-04-2020 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Sorry if this is the wrong section but just wondering if anyone can help. Our back garden is very waerlogged this year. We are only here two years and I dont think I noticed this issue much last year. It hasnt rained that much but our back garden is very flooded. Any reason behind this? The next day if dry the floodig will be gone but the grass would be very soft. Ive attched a couple of photos. Any help or guidance is much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it a new build in an estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

is it a new build in an estate?

An estate built around 1970. I do think it was similar last year but not as bad. Place is well known for subsidence so that's why I'm kind of worried. As far as I know there is no pipes under there and there is no smell. It only happens when it rains so I'm hoping I right in ruling out pipe leaks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It hardly rained for a few weeks there, so I would giess this is some other issue.

Either that or your drainage is terrible.

NIMAN wrote: »
    It hardly rained for a few weeks there, so I would giess this is some other issue.

Either that or your drainage is terrible.
    I'll call into neighbours and see if they are seeing anything similar. I did get a guy out during the dry spell about getting a patio done (This was before I realized the flooding) and he said that the flow of the garden was towards the house and if I wanted to get a patio down he would have to cut in a small drainage flow. Sorry if the lingo isn't correct. But he spotted that without seeing any flooding. Doesn't come near house. It's about 2 feet short. The other side of the garden is fine it's just this area which is strange.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Any chance there could be a cracked water pipe underneath that leaks slowly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Where do your house gutters ,driveway/patio/paths and any shed gutters drain to ? ( And the same for any neighbours who's gardens are above yours)
    Does your garden slope down towards the back of the house?
    Any way keep any water away from you lawn , and see is there any way of draining the wet patches,wether you can tie into a drain or even dig a few soak aways ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Where are you in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

An estate built around 1970. I do think it was similar last year but not as bad.
    if it's done this after the recent spell of dry weather and what seems to have been a modicum of rain, i would have expected the house would have been under water during the winter.
    the recent rain should have been just enough to moisten the soil but not raise the water table to the extent it has; is it possible you might live near a culverted stream maybe?

You could presumably test the water to see if it's from a treated mains supply or not.

if it's done this after the recent spell of dry weather and what seems to have been a modicum of rain, i would have expected the house would have been under water during the winter.
    the recent rain should have been just enough to moisten the soil but not raise the water table to the extent it has; is it possible you might live near a culverted stream maybe?

Spoke with the neighbour and this area is seemingly known for this and terrible soakage and soil. We are on a hill and the second last house on bottom.

I'll get the pitch fork out later and make some holes. How does one test the water as said in last post? Sorry clueless with this kind of thing. The main water mains comes via front of house no? Flooding is gone again today just very soggy soil.

Thanks all for your help. Very much appreciated

• Advertisement

Ok, so it's probably not the mains water then.

If the water is mainly run off coming from off site I'd be inclined to tackle the drainage at your boundary and take it from there around the house. Then you only have to deal with rain on your site, which is much easier.

I'd start by trying to more fully understand the issue by digging a few strategic holes and working out where the water is flowing when it rains. There's no substitute for getting your hands dirty.

I dealt with this on my site a couple of years ago. Once I'd figured out the flow it only took a few hours to dig some new drainage channels and put in perforated pipe.

Advertisement