Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using ethernet ports on a Vrigin Hub that is in bridge mode?

Options
  • 29-04-2020 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

I have a pair of Deco P7s and my virgin hub/router is set to bridge mode. On the base P7 there is 2 ethernet ports and 1 has to be used to connect to the virgin hub. I have the other in use for a NAS box but I now need to connect a PC as well. I think I remember reading somewhere it is possible to still use the ethernet port on the virgin hub in bridge mode but I've no idea how to set this up. Does anyone have a easy to follow guide on how to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I have a pair of Deco P7s and my virgin hub/router is set to bridge mode. On the base P7 there is 2 ethernet ports and 1 has to be used to connect to the virgin hub. I have the other in use for a NAS box but I now need to connect a PC as well. I think I remember reading somewhere it is possible to still use the ethernet port on the virgin hub in bridge mode but I've no idea how to set this up. Does anyone have a easy to follow guide on how to do this?

I believe when you are in bridge mode, the Ehternets will not be connected like a switch and instead you will get a public IP address from Virgin for whatever device is connected to the ethernet port

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

Can you just set the pc to DHCP and plug it in - see what happens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You WILL get a public IP doing that. Buy a 10E switch and do not connect client devices to those ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I believe when you are in bridge mode, the Ehternets will not be connected like a switch and instead you will get a public IP address from Virgin for whatever device is connected to the ethernet port

Yes this is what I've now discovered so I'll look into getting a switch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ED E wrote: »
    You WILL get a public IP doing that. Buy a 10E switch and do not connect client devices to those ports.

Will something like this do the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Will something like this do the job?

That's perfect.

Advertisement