Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time new build advice

Options
  • 29-04-2020 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

First time build and I’ve bought all the parts and have a win10 USB install ready to go.
    I’m looking for advice on putting it all together, mechanically I’m not worried about putting the pieces together, more from when I press the power button and what process and steps I should take.

any advice or references to follow would be welcome, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭barryribs

Your usb drive needs to be bootable to install windowsI can't post links but if you search for microsoft win 10 media creation tool you will see the option to download the program. This will create a bootable USB for windows installation

Start the pc with the bootable USB connected
    You should not have to change anything in the BIOS to do this and it will boot to the win 10 installer

Once windows is set up, connect to wifi/ethernet and check for updates in the control panel and install everything available. This will get almost all the drivers for you, if not install them from the discs you got with the hardware or download from the manufacturer's site.

Anything missing you will see as unknown devices in Device manager

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

barryribs wrote: »
    Your usb drive needs to be bootable to install windowsI can't post links but if you search for microsoft win 10 media creation tool you will see the option to download the program. This will create a bootable USB for windows installation

Start the pc with the bootable USB connected
    You should not have to change anything in the BIOS to do this and it will boot to the win 10 installer

Once windows is set up, connect to wifi/ethernet and check for updates in the control panel and install everything available. This will get almost all the drivers for you, if not install them from the discs you got with the hardware or download from the manufacturer's site.

Anything missing you will see as unknown devices in Device manager

Thanks, i figured it out eventually...... i thought i would be able to get video from the Motherboard, so was concerned initially. Eventually i tried the Windows USB bootable and it all worked out fine.

Thanks for the advice, its good to have it up here for others as well .........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You're better off getting all drivers directly from the board or gpu manufacturers site before you even install windows and stick them on the same or different USB.

They will be more up to date than microsofts and anything on the disks you get.

Advertisement