Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

I’m not sure. It seems possible they they could work, but the U.K. person would be uploading their random codes to the HSE if they were diagnosed and chose to do so.

I’m assuming they’d then only get matched with people on the HSE app.

Realistically, it’s something that maybe could be though, if you’d an shared international hotlist of the random codes if the underlying technology is the same.

It certainly could be something done in the EU with proper coordination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

robinph wrote: »
    Do the various international apps all play nicely together and share their codes internationally?

What happens if someone from Berlin meets someone from Dublin for a pint in a pub in London, then the next day after flying home one of them gets a positive test? Are the international apps sharing to one database or is it separate for each country?

Basically, is there any reason not to use the Irish app in the UK seejng as it's not blocked on the UK app stores? If the NHS just changed the colour scheme they could pretend it was theirs and increase take up in the UK.
    From what I gather both the Irish and UK health services will be pooling the data from apps to ensure contact tracing is effective cross-borders and also as Ireland and the UK are each others number 1 trading and travel partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Downloaded it yesterday
    No big deal.

If you think your phone isn’t tracking you already or the hse doesn’t have your details already your delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

robinph wrote: »
    Do the various international apps all play nicely together and share their codes internationally?

What happens if someone from Berlin meets someone from Dublin for a pint in a pub in London, then the next day after flying home one of them gets a positive test? Are the international apps sharing to one database or is it separate for each country?
    I'm pretty sure they are separate currently as each country has their own server for uploading exposed keys to, and where each phone checks back with every day.

But, I can't see why countries couldn't pool their databases of exposed keys going forward.
    Basically, is there any reason not to use the Irish app in the UK seejng as it's not blocked on the UK app stores? If the NHS just changed the colour scheme they could pretend it was theirs and increase take up in the UK.
    Probably not much point right now as the keys on your phone are only stored for 14 days. I'd say this will take longer to set up.

The reason why it's available in the UK is to allow people in NI more likely to be crossing the border to use the Irish app instead of the UK one (when it's available). I'd say you will only be able to install one of these apps.

_Brian wrote: »
    Downloaded it yesterday
    No big deal.

If you think your phone isn’t tracking you already or the hse doesn’t have your details already your delusional.

I would be a *lot* more concerned about the social media platforms than this app, which seems to have been built from the ground up (by Google & Apple) specifically to address and prevent problems with data protection and privacy to ensure it’s useful and doesn’t get scuppered by function creep, by engineering it to be almost impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I bet the fools who won’t install this app for privacy fears have Google Maps installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Downloaded it this morning and I have it up and running.
    Can ya not see a district breakdown for the county?
    I was asked my postcode during setup but I can only see the levels in the county as opposed to local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Is this not preloaded onto iPhones anyway? Under settings > privacy > health.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I bet the fools who won’t install this app for privacy fears have Google Maps installed.
    So people who don't do as I do are fools. Very open-minded of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Mr E wrote: »
    Seems like a pretty slick app. Over 40k installations which is a good takeup for the start of launch day.

Showing 80k downloads now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Doff wrote: »
    Is this not preloaded onto iPhones anyway? Under settings > privacy > health.

It would be the same as android it needs an approved app installed for it to do anything, it's the new api google and apple developed together for the phones to share anonymous ID numbers over bluetooth. Some people were sharing "stop the gubberment from tracking you by switching this off" when it was doing literally nothing by itself.

Downloaded it there. Very well laid out and easy to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Downloaded the app. Would be good if they shared more detail but I'm sure it will improve in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

How many people or percentage of population would need to download the app to make it effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Does Bluetooth need to be turned on constantly for this to work or?

The one big issue could be the the cohort least likely to download it could be the most vulnerable - elderly people.

We’ve very high smartphone penetration in Ireland but it’ll be patchy as you get into the 70+ category.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Downloaded the app last night for Android and went to the shop this morning only to realise my mobile data was gone, so couldn't use Google pay.

Only after removing the app did it come back again?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Downloaded the app last night for Android and went to the shop this morning only to realise my mobile data was gone, so couldn't use Google pay.

Only after removing the app did it come back again?
    If you are with Eir, there is an issue with their mobile data this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The one big issue could be the the cohort least likely to download it could be the most vulnerable - elderly people.

We’ve very high smartphone penetration in Ireland but it’ll be patchy as you get into the 70+ category.
    Harris said way back that for it to be anyway useful as a tool they'd need 25% coverage. Anything above that is good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Well layed out app. Anyone complaining about being tracked may as well fire their phone into the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

How many people or percentage of population would need to download the app to make it effective?
    Effective to do what?

It's a contact-tracing app. The idea is that it supplements conventional contact tracing practices. The more it is downloaded and used the more it will supplement them, but any amount of downloading/use provides more benefit than zero downloading/use would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Downloaded the app, seems to be nicely built not clunky in anyway. The adoption rate or app registrations is displaying in over the 100k mark now it was about 60k at 7am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

The app looks to be a good job

Ice Storm wrote: »
    If you are with Eir, there is an issue with their mobile data this morning.

That make sense, thanks.

I'll download the app again, I was too quick to lay blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Installed it to have a look. Seems well put together anyway which for the cost you'd expect. Doesn't ask for anything that the HSE wouldn't already have for me (phone number etc) and you'd presume that privacy/data protection is solid given the focus on it in the media.

Will let it run a day or so to judge battery drain and so on and see then but I live in a county with 1% of the national cases, and am WFH every day with the exception of doing the shopping, so my risk/exposure is minimal either way.

Just under 46 thousand have checked in today and 99% are feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

The HSE won't get any data out of this except :-

a) what they would have had already anyway (eg if you get tested and give them a contact phone number), and

b) what you opt in to give them in the app (which doesn't identify you). If you don't opt in to the extra information, then the HSE wont get it, but the contact tracing still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Anyone know why it's telling me this app is not available in your country. I checked region in settings it's set to ireland so nothing wrong there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

do you need to be connected to the internet for it to work? The parents never have any data cause they're too cheap

• Advertisement

Anyone know why it's telling me this app is not available in your country. I checked region in settings it's set to ireland so nothing wrong there.

Are you using a VPN?

Advertisement