Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options

Comments

circadian wrote: »
    No way to convince you to join in on the Tinfoil Hat Train?

I don’t think blergh wrote that post. It was yer wan, 5G, blatantly hacked into blergh’s boards account to type a positive message.

I bet that blaggard 5G will run for president next. Of all countries!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

KyussB wrote: »
    Where does it say this?
    https://blog.google/documents/73/Exposure_Notification_-_FAQ_v1.1.pdf
    Once enabled, users’ devices will regularly send out a beacon via Bluetooth that includes a random Bluetooth identifier — basically, a string of random numbers that aren’t tied to a user's identity and change every 10-20 minutes for additional protection.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just downloaded and activated without issue (Samsung S8)

I'd rather give it a go in the hope it does some good than dismiss it without making the effort. I cannot see what harm it could do and it has the potential to do a lot of good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No, huge invasion of privacy and amazes me how it can possibly be GDPR compliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

i have it on my xioami mi max 3, it is only fair I let the irish government know what I am doing seeing as the chinese government are already well aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

blackbox wrote: »
    Just downloaded and activated it.

It seems to be OK. My only concern is battery usage, so I'll see how that goes over a few days.

Really don't worry about it, modern bluetooth is not a heavy battery use at all.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I will not be downloading this.

Care to enlighten us as to why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Beasty wrote: »
    Just downloaded and activated without issue (Samsung S8)

I'd rather give it a go in the hope it does some good than dismiss it without making the effort. I cannot see what harm it could do and it has the potential to do a lot of good

I live in a high-density block of apartments.

I'm worried it might confine me to the gaf for weeks for exposures that never really happened. I know that the UK's crappy app was unsuitable for high-density areas, and as the tech used is very similar.

Anyone know if this has been remedied?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Installed it today.
    We give up a lot of personal information anyway, usually to our corporate overlords, but this time is for a good cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Gael23 wrote: »
    No, huge invasion of privacy and amazes me how it can possibly be GDPR compliant

Wrong on all fronts.

Wrong on all fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I don't know if it is or is not compliant, but GDPR has clauses and exceptions for emergency situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hudur

Just downloaded. Seems very handy and works just like it supposed to. Don't have to do anything unless HSE calls you and then you can upload the IDs phone has collected.

There is option to do COVID Check-In though. Can daily tell if you are "Feeling good" or have any symptoms.

Over 200k users already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

All the work is done on your phone, the data is stored on your phone, it doesn't give you a way of properly identifying anybody else.

It doesn't share your details with anyone, unless you give the app your phone number and permission to share it with the HSE.

It's not an invasion of privacy when you consent to it and you need to look at the intent behind it.

You're still anonymous on the app as well.

I really don't get the argument at all and why do people think that the government or other bodies would care about your trips to the shops or who you come into contact with?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry but most modern smartphones last more than a day.

Battery anxiety is not a valid reason to refuse to use the app.

I would say you're wasting more of your battery by turning bluetooth on and off constantly rather than simply just leaving it on.

I think my query was already well answered by previous posters. I don't know where you're going with anxiety and refusing to download the app but you're just making stuff up now.

I'd already downloaded it and was merely saying if it ate battery it could be a problem but it seems like that shouldn't be a problem so all good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

I've an iPhone 11, using iOS 13.3.1, and when I download the app it says to enable Contact Tracing, you need to upgrade to the latest version of Apple iOS. But there are no more up to date versions available :confused: Anyone else having this issue?

Just downloaded the app on my iPhone 11, no problems
    My iPhone is running software version 13.5.1, so check again for a software update.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Good app, good privacy information, lots of opt-out controls. Good job developers.

Stop complaining about everything and do your bit for the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

GarIT wrote: »
    It is actually, Bluetooth range drops on a logarithmic scale. You would need a device 10 times more powerful with a 10 times larger antenna to double the range.
    Bluetooth is low energy - increasing the power isn't hard with added equipment. Bluetooth can go up to 100m, and latest standard up to 1km open air.

It's going to cost whoever would want to do it (in terms of equipment), and be limited in circumstances e.g. less practical in the middle of a city - but it looks like it has high potential for private tracking. Especially if you can e.g. detect code switching (I doubt all devices in a certain range, switch code at the exact same moment - so you can probably time it - depending on if they've added much random variance).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I suggest that you document yourself on what is GDPR first as this is where the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Explain how?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Very straightforward to use, lots of privacy information and why not have it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

murpho999 wrote: »
    Care to enlighten us as to why?
    I don't support big government and their attempt to interfere in my life.
    I rarely leave the house these days, as we are both working from home. I go out once a week for shopping, and we go for a few recreational drives but don't get out if there are others around.

There is no benefit to me installing the app, and therefore I don't think it's worth the risk in invasion of privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

brianomc wrote: »
    That certainly makes it harder alright. It's still usable to track, and there is potential to be able to time the switches (even though a 10 min random variance is a lot), but if there aren't too many other devices around, it should be quite trackable.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I don't support big government and their attempt to interfere in my life.
    I rarely leave the house these days, as we are both working from home. I go out once a week for shopping, and we go for a few recreational drives but don't get out if there are others around.

There is no benefit to me installing the app, and therefore I don't think it's worth the risk in invasion of privacy.

The government have no access to the information.

Its all stored on your phone and encrypted.

Sure you stay in your house hiding from the big bad government.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The government have no access to the information.

Its all stored on your phone and encrypted.

Sure you stay in your house hiding from the big bad government.
    I'm in a vulnerable health group as is my partner, so I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

How is you keeping a record of who you have been in contact with an invasion of your privacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Really great app. They haven’t really changed much since we were testing it which just proves they got it right first time. Approaching 300K registrations on the iOS version now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

blackbox wrote: »
    Just downloaded and activated it.

It seems to be OK. My only concern is battery usage, so I'll see how that goes over a few days.

BLE.... BLE ... BLE

Bluetooth Low Energy (still referred to as just 'Bluetooth')

Sorry folks but all the concerns about bluetooth draining the battery are rooted in the jurrassic era of mobile phones.
    https://www.bluetooth.com/learn-about-bluetooth/bluetooth-technology/radio-versions/

Bluetooth is and has been low energy (LE) for years now. I've my fitbit, car and earphones paired and never had battery concerns. Infact phones have built in low power modes that kick in around 20% and guess what, bluetooth is not turned off in low power mode

Advertisement