Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

hmmm wrote: »
    Good app, good privacy information, lots of opt-out controls. Good job developers.

Stop complaining about everything and do your bit for the community.

Exactly. This could be a great tool for controlling this if people ignore the conspiracy type stuff. Proper conspiracy theorists should be fine anyway as they shouldn't own a phone .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

gabeeg wrote: »
    I live in a high-density block of apartments.

I'm worried it might confine me to the gaf for weeks for exposures that never really happened. I know that the UK's crappy app was unsuitable for high-density areas, and as the tech used is very similar.

Anyone know if this has been remedied?

The app will only register devices within 2m, there are concerns it won't be fully effective from inside a handbag, could reduce the range to 1m. I doubt it will get to the next apartment unless you both used your phone in bed either side of the same shared wall

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

If you voted no would you use a store loyalty card?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just downloaded the app on my iPhone 11, no problems
    My iPhone is running software version 13.5.1, so check again for a software update.

Yeah I just saw it has to be iOS 13.5 but my phone's not giving me the option to upgrade! I downloaded it on my work phone anyway.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm a dumbass. Upgrading to 13.5 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,573 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

KyussB wrote: »
    Bluetooth is low energy - increasing the power isn't hard with added equipment. Bluetooth can go up to 100m, and latest standard up to 1km open air.

It's going to cost whoever would want to do it (in terms of equipment), and be limited in circumstances e.g. less practical in the middle of a city - but it looks like it has high potential for private tracking. Especially if you can e.g. detect code switching (I doubt all devices in a certain range, switch code at the exact same moment - so you can probably time it - depending on if they've added much random variance).

12774-TinFoilHat-May-Move02_2000x.gif?v=1542393503

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Is there any verification in place for those that log they have symptoms/covid. As in what’s stopping a class of 30 kids declaring they have symptoms and having great fun with that in school or running around supermarkets? We don’t do rules and compliance here particularly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm in a vulnerable health group as is my partner, so I will.

Good, sensible thing to do for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Is there any verification in place for those that log they have symptoms/covid. As in what’s stopping a class of 30 kids declaring they have symptoms and having great fun with that in school or running around supermarkets? We don’t do rules and compliance here particularly well.

The symptoms aren’t what triggers the alert. The symptoms tell you to get checked, if you get a positive then the app kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

GarIT wrote: »
    How is you keeping a record of who you have been in contact with an invasion of your privacy?
    So the government will know everywhere i've been? And with who?

This is brought in under the guise of health but in a few years will be standard and used against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

2smiggy wrote: »
    Discussion of what is and is not technically possible is not suggesting a 'conspiracy'. The intent behind the people who made this doesn't matter (and it's intent which determines whether or not there's a conspiracy) - I don't give a toss about intent, only what is technically possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,944 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm in a vulnerable health group as is my partner, so I will.

Probably should have just put that in your

" I WONT BE DOWNLOADING THE APP"

opening post, but sure that wouldnt get responses i suppose.

Although in your condition surely interesting to get easy access to all the stats. I would have thought... but sure look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Beasty wrote: »
    Just downloaded and activated without issue (Samsung S8)

I'd rather give it a go in the hope it does some good than dismiss it without making the effort. I cannot see what harm it could do and it has the potential to do a lot of good

Could we be seeing thousands of people self-isolating for no reason as a result of this app?

I go into a restaurant at 3pm and stay til 4:30pm and sit at a certain table. Somebody who came in at 4:15pm and sat at the other end of the restaurant, who was nowhere near me, then comes down with symptoms. I, and everyone else in that restaurant at that time, suddenly have to self-isolate until we get a test result?

Have I got this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Nemesis wrote: »
    If you voted no would you use a store loyalty card?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

Yeah I just saw it has to be iOS 13.5 but my phone's not giving me the option to upgrade! I downloaded it on my work phone anyway.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm a dumbass. Upgrading to 13.5 now!
    :pac::pac:

So the government will know everywhere i've been? And with who?

This is brought in under the guise of health but in a few years will be standard and used against you.

Ah i see, we are closer to the mark now. What i expected initially, which is opposite to the me and my partner stay indoors all the time,. :rolleyes:

2smiggy wrote: »
    12774-TinFoilHat-May-Move02_2000x.gif?v=1542393503

Coming from someone who doesn’t particularly care about my personal data and has no notions about what the government are going to do with it, this ‘tinfoil hat’ response stuff is getting ridiculously tiresome, particularly when the post you were replying just seemed to detailing tech and not some mad cap theories.

It's just an indication for the HSE on where to offer random testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The symptoms stuff seems to be just for stats gathering purposes. A few trolls isn't going to have any significant effect.

If you actually test positive, the HSE will give you a code you can enter into the app that unlocks the ability to upload your IDs and notify other users that they were in close contact. That's the only time something tangible will actually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

GarIT wrote: »
    The app will only register devices within 2m, there are concerns it won't be fully effective from inside a handbag, could reduce the range to 1m. I doubt it will get to the next apartment unless you both used your phone in bed either side of the same shared wall
    Contact tracers aren't going to blindly use the output of this to suddenly shut down an apartment block. Even if it managed to pick up a neighbours phone (this could happen in a semi-D also), they'll ask you whether you had contact with the neighbour and assess any risk. It's only an aid - and might not even be very good - but it's worth a try.

KyussB wrote: »
    Discussion of what is and is not technically possible is not suggesting a 'conspiracy'. The intent behind the people who made this doesn't matter (and it's intent which determines whether or not there's a conspiracy) - I don't give a toss about intent, only what is technically possible.

In fairness youve no interest in whats technically possible. Lets discuss was remotely possible, with the equipment, skills, need, why bother... all of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

gabeeg wrote: »
    I live in a high-density block of apartments.

I'm worried it might confine me to the gaf for weeks for exposures that never really happened. I know that the UK's crappy app was unsuitable for high-density areas, and as the tech used is very similar.

Anyone know if this has been remedied?
    It's not an exact science because Bluetooth wasn't designed to measure distance, but walls will cause the signal to be attenuated, as if you were a longer distance away and that is what you want.

I know they are constantly updating the data they have about individual phones as they do vary. I think it's likely that some false positives will occur.

I think it would be better to at least install the app and not provide your phone number if you are concerned about this. If you get an exposure notification you can decide what to do about it then, without any danger of people knocking on your door.

Coming from someone who doesn’t particularly care about my personal data and has no notions about what the government are going to do with it, this ‘tinfoil hat’ response stuff is getting ridiculously tiresome, particularly when the post you were replying just seemed to detailing tech and not some mad cap theories.

They were lying about tech and making up some mad cap theories. I studied wireless communications as part of my degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Gael23 wrote: »
    No, huge invasion of privacy and amazes me how it can possibly be GDPR compliant

Another misunderstanding of GDPR.

Also, from boards alone, you're voluntarily giving information on 2 medical conditions, that you did your LC in 2010. You have a Sivek investment fund. You did ordinary Level Maths. You were due to go on holiday last month, you're a Vodafone customer and your eir email address no longer works.

I'm sure you have several commercial apps on your phone too, which are part and parcel of everyday life now. These are gathering more information than this State promoted app ever will.

It's an absolute red herring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    The symptoms aren’t what triggers the alert. The symptoms tell you to get checked, if you get a positive then the app kicks in.

Is there a place in the app to log that I’ve gotten a positive test?

hes on here talking about people setting up range extending equipment to pick up your bluetooth so they can extend the range of the app. For....

Purposes...

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Thanks, sorry I am late to the game here. So how does that work? You get checked, get a positive result and then what happens, as in how is the app updated with a positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I was just thinking that this morning, what’s stopping a group of teenagers downloading it messing about with it , if even a group of ten people were acting the bollox with it in a small town it would leave a lot of the population of that town thinking they were exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I was thinking about the privacy and then I read the very detailed notes on how the tech works, and I’m satisfied that it’s a lot more privacy conscious than half the other apps I have installed on my phone.

And then, icing on the cake, Google Maps sent me an email telling me everywhere I’d been in June (an opt-in email) and it seems a no brainer to install this app and do your bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

listermint wrote: »
    Ah i see, we are closer to the mark now. What i expected initially, which is opposite to the me and my partner stay indoors all the time,. :rolleyes:
    Both are equally true.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Is there a place in the app to log that I’ve gotten a positive test?

No, the app comes into use when you’re contacted by the contact tracing team

Advertisement