Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Has anyone got a notification of being a possible contact yet?
    I'd be very surprised. You'd have to have been in close contact today with someone who got their test result today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

robinph wrote: »
    That's got to make it one of the highest take ups of any of the apps released so far.

Does the publicity about how rubbish the UK app and general response is help in the take up in a general underlying concept of "well we can't be as crap as them so best download it"?
    Excluding 15 and under, leaves about 4m, making it north of 10% so far. Great for day 1 but a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

seamus wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised. You'd have to have been in close contact today with someone who got their test result today :)

And there is only about 400 cases in the entire country.

Hopefully this app is a waste of time and we never get pinged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

is_that_so wrote: »
    Are you on an Irish network? Friend on home country network has a similar issue.
    Ya vodafone Ireland got my phone at the local Vodafone shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Has anyone a link to any research on the 15 minutes / 2 metres numbers, as a matter of interest? I get that they had to draw the lines somewhere, but it would be interesting to see the sliding scales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

murpho999 wrote: »
    77% of iOS devices have iOS 13 installed in January, so it does not mean that the app is useless.Link

Just update to iOS 13 if you can, it's a stable release now.

I have an iPhone 6, and I think it’s only iPhones 6s that can get iOS 13, anything older can’t

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I've been trying for 12 hours now with no luck. Maybe the HSE should have done a bit more. I've spoken to several people with Huawei phones today who are having trouble too. App not available in your country is the massage. Don't judge people too quickly. Last time I checked my address it was in Ireland.

Similar issues with a Huawei phone here, I'm being told me phone isn't compatible. Had the same issue when AIB updated their app a year or so back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

GarIT wrote: »
    Contacts list as in list of devices you have been in contact with. Not the contacts list of phone numbers you save on your phone.

The app will notify you, not the HSE. It's not sent to the app, it comes from the app, which is in your phone. Then if you have entered your number it will send your number to the HSE.

To address privacy concerns they have made everything decentralised. Each phone does the work and stores the data rather than a central system.

When we confirm we have tested positive and we push our close contact ids from the app to the HSE, is the HSE not storing those Ids or is it just added to a queue of some sort and removed as data is sent to all phones. (every two hours someone mentioned). So stored for two hours? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

500,000 downloads according to RTE

Has anyone got a notification of being a possible contact yet?

Likely to be no more than 50 people max getting notifications on any given day based on current case numbers. And that would be assuming 100% take up of the app

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I've been trying for 12 hours now with no luck. Maybe the HSE should have done a bit more. I've spoken to several people with Huawei phones today who are having trouble too. App not available in your country is the massage. Don't judge people too quickly. Last time I checked my address it was in Ireland.

I downloaded it onto my mams ancient huawei today with no trouble. Maybe it’s a problem with google play settings? I wouldn’t be sure, I’ve only used iPhone for the last while. Annoying to not be able to get it though.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Has anyone a link to any research on the 15 minutes / 2 metres numbers, as a matter of interest? I get that they had to draw the lines somewhere, but it would be interesting to see the sliding scales.

I believe the data is 90% of transmissions will occur with the 15 minute / 2 meter contact. Preventing 60% of potential transmissions is enough to control the virus. No measure taken on this has been designed to eliminate all transmissions, just reduce risk by various degrees to achieve suppression of more than 60% of transmissions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    When we confirm we have tested positive and we push our close contact ids from the app to the HSE, is the HSE not storing those Ids or is it just added to a queue of some sort and removed as data is sent to all phones. (every two hours someone mentioned). So stored for two hours? :)

If you are worried about data getting stored, why are you on the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You don't send your contacts. You only send your ID. The HSE stores and publishes a list of infected IDs which is updated every two hours. You phone compares the public list of infections against your private list of contacts.

If you are worried about data getting stored, why are you on the internet?

I'm in no way worried. App installed. Just wondering from a tech perspective. I like technology.

You don't send your contacts. You only send your ID. The HSE stores and publishes a list of infected IDs which is updated every two hours. You phone compares the public list of infections against your private list of contacts.

Yeah perfect thats what I thought. But in my mind that's not really decentralised? But I prob need to read up more on the meaning of decentralised!

I'm in no way worried. App installed. Just wondering from a tech perspective. I like technology.

The code is available to go through.

The code is available to go through.

I know had a look at the repo.

I hate nodejs/javascript (i.e. I'm no good at it, not my field :) )

Oh my god!

I’m so pissed off with myself as the amount of imbeciles on my FB friends list is making me question what I’ve done with my life to date!

I know had a look at the repo.

I hate nodejs/javascript (i.e. I'm no good at it, not my field :) )

I know the feeling. Not the language I would of used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I downloaded it and checked in this morning. But now I have the new mild panic in the back of my head that I'm going to get an alert of being a close contact :o

New way of living I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Oh my god!

I’m so pissed off with myself as the amount of imbeciles on my FB friends list is making me question what I’ve done with my life to date!

hahaha!
    I would take this as a hint for clean-up, Strawbs!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yeah perfect thats what I thought. But in my mind that's not really decentralised? But I prob need to read up more on the meaning of decentralised!

The centralised version would be that your app would upload your list of contacts and the infected person would upload their list of codes. The central system then looks for matches and then tells you if you have a hit. The UK version was then trying to also add in details about where you actually were when each of the codes were generated as well.

De centralised means that the matching of codes happens on your phone. You only know your codes and the codes of infected people. From just that information its not possible to figure out which codes relate to which people, where those people were or when.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's 90% decentralised.

All the tracking, processing and notifying is done on your side.

You might have seen a page to enter 6 digits to say you were infected. Until you use that page it is 100% decentralised. If you get infected it is still 90% decentralised, and at that point tough I guess.

I downloaded it and checked in this morning. But now I have the new mild panic in the back of my head that I'm going to get an alert of being a close contact :o

New way of living I guess!

Think I like to get alert so I know its working :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What are they saying and do they appreciate the irony of posting about it on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

robinph wrote: »
    You only know your codes and the codes of infected people.

Actually, you don't even know your codes - your phone does.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's 90% decentralised.

All the tracking, processing and notifying is done on your side.

You might have seen a page to enter 6 digits to say you were infected. Until you use that page it is 100% decentralised. If you get infected it is still 90% decentralised, and at that point tough I guess.

It's still decentralised at that point. Despite the data then leaving your phone and residing on a central database it is completely useless to anyone on it's own and doesn't change the centralised/ de-centralised categorisation of the app.

That your phone number separately gets uploaded to get a call from manual contact tracers is where you become identifiable. But they can't link in to the app data or do anything with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭feelings

Delete Facebook. Problem solved.
    Oh my god!

Unrelated note. Anyone know where I can get the APK? Need to sideload it.

Advertisement