Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

GarIT wrote: »
    The app requires the latest version of Google play services to be installed. There are some workarounds for Google play services but I haven't heard of them being used for this app yet.
    Cheers, family member has one. Will pass that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

It's to see that you are in fact self-isolating, to convince you to do so if you're not and to arrange for any supports you might need to do so.

Sweet jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Mav11 wrote: »
    Is there a delay in the download from the play store? On one hand it is telling me that it is installed and further on telling me that it will be installed shortly!!!

OK working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

I think RTÉ need to explain in a little more detail how the app actually works.

And who’s your man that said there’s no evidence it will work? How could there be? It was released less than 24 hours ago b

The comment was likely based on the underlying Apple/Google Bluetooth technology (which many other countries use in their apps) and its ability to measure distance accurately.

This was one of the reasons the UK persisted with their own app, which they say is better at measuring distance (and which they hope to integrate with the Apple/Google tech on which the Irish app is based).

The main indicator of whether the app actually works for its intended purpose (ignoring the distance issue) is whether people self-isolate on getting an exposure alert (i.e. a text message), rather than a call from an experienced public health professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm relatively careful about privacy, I don't have any photos on FB, I use Duck Duck Go for searching, I don't use my phone for online banking, I don't share much personal info.

I have downloaded this app and given it as much information as I could because I feel like it is my civic duty and I want to help protect our vulnerable citizens and healthcare workers.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    No. It is to notify you that you may have been in contact with a positive case and to request you make an appointment for a test

No.

Testing is a side issue, as the incubation period is 14 days.

So you could request your test, it comes back negative - and you still have to self-isolate for 14 days from your exposure notification.

The main purpose of the app (which has unfortunately been hidden in of all this 'aren't we great, we beat the Brits and have an app that everyone wants' BS),

is to get close contacts to self-isolate.

circadian wrote: »
    Sweet jesus.

Your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Do I need to leave Bluetooth on when I'm in public for this app to work fr the contact tracing? Or can I turn off the Bluetooth and does it update when I turn the Bluetooth back on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

owlbethere wrote: »
    Do I need to leave Bluetooth on when I'm in public for this app to work fr the contact tracing? Or can I turn off the Bluetooth and does it update when I turn the Bluetooth back on.

Leave Bluetooth on when out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,933 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No.

So you could request your test, it comes back negative - and you still have to self-isolate for 14 days from your exposure notification.

The main purpose of the app (which has unfortunately been hidden in of all this 'aren't we great, we beat the Brits and have an app that everyone wants' BS),

It's to get people who might be infected to isolate to close off transmission rates.

And the Brits... What are you about. Is this the extent of the looperness

• Advertisement

No.

Up to 14 days. Majority will develop symptoms in 3 to 7 days. And it should be 14 days from date of contact

Bluetooth needs to be on to work. In simple terms your phone and a contacts phone share a code with each other over Bluetooth. If your contact was to test positive, the codes they have shared will then be uploaded to the central server. Within 2 hour I believe these codes will be compared against those on phones connected. If there is a match you will receive an alert. If you shared your phone number when you installed the app you will also be contacted. If your Bluetooth is off you will never share the code therefore the contact won’t be logged. Also to get the alert, you will need to connect mobile data or WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Limpy wrote: »
    If you download it anonymously and cycle around Dublin, or to busy locations in general, would clicking I have covid alert 100s of people?

Can the App give off false alerts basically.

No, as only people you have to spend 15 minutes or more within 2 meters of would be notified and you have to have a genuine code from the HSE.

This app has been well thought of in all fairness.

This is being asked all the time and I wish people would realise that Bluetoooth is not a major drain on their phone.

I'd say turning it on and off constantly would drain the battery more than simply leaving it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paranoid Bob

robinph wrote: »
    So that just tells you that it was someone in Paddy's Bar on Monday last week who has since tested positive for covid19. You have no way of figuring out who they are, or even if you got access to the main database which other codes there were generated by that person or where else they might have gone.

No; there is no location tracking aspect to this, so it cannot say that you were in close contact in Paddy's Bar.
    It can only say that you were in close contact because the phones were close enough to communicate using Bluetooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not a hope I’m installing this

No information on where data is stored, who is responsible of anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

I'd like to know why the HSE app is not open-source.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Shefwedfan wrote: »

The data is all stored on your phone only, this has been well documented and flagged.

What are people worried about here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

When you say where the data is stored, what do you mean?

The data is held by your phone but none of it is personal. It's just a series of anonymous identifier codes that are then matched to user profiles if you upload your close contacts.

The HSE already have your personal data, so you're not protecting yourself by not downloading the app, quite the opposite.

Worztron wrote: »

Why would you want the code readily available to manipulate?

• Advertisement

Because then anybody can change it.

Also I don't think Apple allow open source, not sure about Google.

Plenty of info can be found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭headtheball14

It is, isn't it? Or at least the code is available
    https://github.com/HSEIreland/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

GooglePlus wrote: »
    When you say where the data is stored, what do you mean?

The data is held by your phone but none of it is personal. It's just a series of anonymous identifier codes that are then matched to user profiles if you upload your close contacts.

The HSE already have your personal data, so you're not protecting yourself by not downloading the app, quite the opposite.
    Upload your close contacts to what?

It’s stored on your phone. If you test positive you get to choose to share the contact data stored on your phone. The data that is shared does not identify anyone. Your phone stores random codes received from phones you have been in contact with. If one of them tests positive their codes will be circulated to all connected phones. If their code matches your code you will get an alert. If you have chosen to share your phone number on the app, the HSE will get your phone number also, but it is opt in not opt out.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Upload your close contacts to what?

The server used by the HSE.

Your bank, social media etc. all store your personal information on secure servers, this is no different.

Your bank, social media etc. all store your personal information on secure servers, this is no different.

It is very different. They will only get information from your phone if you test positive and agree to share the contacts, in which case they will already have far more detailed information on you already. If you never test positive they will only get your phone number if you choose to allow it to be shared, and are a close contact of a positive case. Otherwise they get nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

So, it's not all stored on your phone then.

It is very different. They will only get information from your phone if you test positive and agree to share the contacts, in which case they will already have far more detailed information on you already. If you never test positive they will only get your phone number if you choose to allow it to be shared, and are a close contact of a positive case. Otherwise they get nothing

I'm referring to where the information is stored, not the personal information they hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Not to mention the information that Apple and Google have on you just by having one of their devices.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    So, it's not all stored on your phone then.

Well obviously not or we'd have 600k+ people with a waste of space on their phone.

Advertisement