Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

murpho999 wrote: »
    The data is all stored on your phone only, this has been well documented and flagged.

What are people worried about here?

Not really

https://covidtracker.gov.ie/privacy-and-data

You can share data which means the app has the ability, one hackers breaks in and boom they have all the data they need. No harm but I doubt the HSE are top of the security ratings....would be interesting what number they got in last security assessment or have they ever had one done at all?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not really

You can share data which means the app has the ability, one hackers breaks in and boom they have all the data they need. No harm but I doubt the HSE are top of the security ratings....would be interesting what number they got in last security assessment or have they ever had one done at all?

This is the equivalent of what any hacker will get

6345dggr245422dxggdsd74334chd3c4c. Completely random, with no identifying information whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Because then anybody can change it.

Also I don't think Apple allow open source, not sure about Google.

Plenty of info can be found here.

They can only change the code if the maintainer (HSE) accepts a change, and deploys that change to the app store, and you download the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Not really

You've no need for this thread then, unless you're just here to wind people up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Not really

Hackers can't break into an app, it's not a sci-fi movie. For anything like that to happen you would have to download the app from a fake website outside of the app store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Anyone that voted no probably should not/ does not own a smart phone. You're constantly tracked everywhere anyway, at least do your duty for your country and download the app

They can only change the code if the maintainer (HSE) accepts a change, and deploys that change to the app store, and you download the update.

https://youtu.be/E42B8iwsrPU

Because then anybody can change it.

Also I don't think Apple allow open source, not sure about Google.

Plenty of info can be found here.

Goolge have vast amounts of open-source projects.

Angular, a very popular JS framework which hundreds of apps you have used are running on is one.

React Native which the HSE app is built on, and maintained by Facebook, is open source.
    https://github.com/facebook/react-native

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Well obviously not or we'd have 600k+ people with a waste of space on their phone.

So why are people stating on here over and over that all the data is stored on your phone?

Goolge have vast amounts of open-source projects.

Angular, a very popular JS framework which hundreds of apps you have used are running on is one.

Facebook, which maintain React Native which the HSE app is built on, is open source.
    https://github.com/facebook/react-native

When you're trying to get something done in 3 months you'd spend more time reviewing others code than you actually would working on getting the app released.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This is probably a stupid question, but in terms of the bluetooth signal and being identified as a close contact of someone tests positive - my next door neighbour's bluetooth devices are all visible to me in my home and I presume it's the same for them with ours. Could the app identify us as close contacts, and vice versa, if one of us tests positive, with us doing no more than sitting next door to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I find the people who are most concerned re: security and the ones who know the least about it.

This is probably a stupid question, but in terms of the bluetooth signal and being identified as a close contact of someone tests positive - my next door neighbour's bluetooth devices are all visible to me in my home and I presume it's the same for them with ours. Could the app identify us as close contacts, and vice versa, if one of us tests positive, with us doing no more than sitting next door to each other?

A close contact depends on signal strength. A wall will reduce signal strength by 50%. If you both had your phone either side of the same point in the same wall then yes.

If you both left them on a stand in the hall up against the shared wall then maybe but it's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Not really

Example number 1.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    So why are people stating on here over and over that all the data is stored on your phone?

All the non optional data is stored on your phone except for the device IDs of positive cases.

The optional data, such as the symptoms check in is stored by the HSE. For statistics gathering purpose, so they can see where lots of people have symptoms and prepare for a cluster there.

GarIT wrote: »
    When you're trying to get something done in 3 months you'd spend more time reviewing others code than you actually would working on getting the app released.

Looking at the repos and the infra diagram, feels like a template of sorts.

Only see 2 contributors, I guess the are the ones who made the public GitHub repos and merged some PRs, rather than the engineers etc. behind the scenes.

https://github.com/HSEIreland/covid-tracker-infra

theballz wrote: »
    I find the people who are most concerned re: security and the ones who know the least about it.

Don't tell them that it's Jeff Bezos collecting the $$$s from our Government for hosting the infrastructure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

A close contact depends on signal strength. A wall will reduce signal strength by 50%. If you both had your phone either side of the same point in the same wall then yes.

If you both left them on a stand in the hall up against the shared wall then maybe but it's unlikely.

And only if one of you tested positive or someone positive visited one house.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

theballz wrote: »

The ones who document every earth stopping moment of their lives and every fart their kid emits online.

All the non optional data is stored on your phone except for the device IDs of positive cases.

The optional data, such as the symptoms check in is stored by the HSE. For statistics gathering purpose, so they can see where lots of people have symptoms and prepare for a cluster there.

And there is always a deleteAllData() (which i gave up on, but looks like it's a method to remove all Exposure data from your device) if someone is really concerned with it living on yer phone.

https://github.com/HSEIreland/covid-tracker-app/blob/44da0f76c1bff75b81e2118cc81b109768187cc6/providers/exposure.tsx#L236

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Looking at the repos and the infra diagram, feels like a template of sorts.

Only see 2 contributors, I guess the are the ones who made the public GitHub repos and merged some PRs, rather than the engineers etc. behind the scenes.

https://github.com/HSEIreland/covid-tracker-infra

Yeah it's just one commit to make the code they worked on available by the looks of it. No link to it being the code being built.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Yeah it's just one commit to make the code they worked on available by the looks of it. No link to it being the code being built.

sendAllToBillGates_GerogeSoros() not there, you might be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

You're just misunderstanding or haven't read what people are saying.

All the data pulled in from your phone via Bluetooth is stored on your phone only until you decide to share it with the HSE and if you do so, it will then be sent to them and if you send it to them, it obviously has to be stored somewhere. You can't read data without it being stored somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

Getting frustrated with the in increasing levels of ignorance on this subject.

You're just misunderstanding or haven't read what people are saying.

All the data pulled in from your phone via Bluetooth is stored on your phone only until you decide to share it with the HSE and if you do so, it will then be sent to them and if you send it to them, it obviously has to be stored somewhere. You can't read data without it being stored somewhere.

But if you don't share the data with the HSE you may as well have no app?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

But if you don't share the data with the HSE you may as well have no app?

Not at all.

If you don't share data with the HSE, you can still be informed by them that you have potentially been exposed by someone with Covid-19.

Not at all.

If you don't share data with the HSE, you can still be informed by them that you have potentially been exposed by someone with Covid-19.

Please bare with me, I'm exceptionally ignorant on these matters.

How do the HSE get that information without tracking my device? Where I've been, who I've been in contact with? The information has to be identifiable at some stage along the line in order for a notification to be received, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

circadian wrote: »
    Getting frustrated with the in increasing levels of ignorance on this subject.

Remember, people are idiots until they prove you wrong.
    I find this makes it easier to accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is there a requirement to have proof of a positive test before you can hit the button on the app?
    If not, its a joke as you will get messers hitting the button and terrorising people who will receive contact messages.

Advertisement