Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paranoid Bob

Beanybabog wrote: »
    How does this work alongside normal contact tracing? Will you still get a call or is the app notification enough? If it’s anonymous, how would a human contact tracer establish you’re actually a close contact (ie could an employee behind a safety screen count?) or do you just accept the notification as the decision that you are.

I think if you are notified that you have been in contact with the virus then you will be advised to contact your GP for advice, testing and treatment. The GP will notify the HSE and you will hear from the contact tracers.
    The app can shortcut that process by giving some information directly to the contact tracers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Bob Z wrote: »
    how Private or unprivate is it ?

100% Private, has been analysed by intustry experts the world over and all the code is public.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Harpon wrote: »
    Yes but by the time John has realised he has symptoms, gotten tested, gotten the results, and then updated the app, the damage will have been done. It’s too slow of a process, you may slightly slow the spread, but not be any significant amount.

Thanks Harpon. I'm glad we have your scientific opinion on epidemiology to fall back on.

Life saver.

Bob Z wrote: »
    what if your nieghbour has it? wikk the app think we are in close proximaty ?

Depends on whether you are within 2m or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The success and effectiveness of an app like this is almost completely down to the take up of the app. The bigger the % of the population using it the better. If it's a low % it will be of limited use overall.

• Advertisement

Yes but by the time John has realised he has symptoms, gotten tested, gotten the results, and then updated the app, the damage will have been done. It’s too slow of a process, you may slightly slow the spread, but not be any significant amount.

That's simply not the case. Contact tracing has prevented thousands of cases so far. We aren't employing a few thousand people to do it manually for nothing.

For example. John gets it day 1, spreads it to Mary day 3, feels symptoms that evening, gets tested day 4 with results day 5, his day 5 is day 3 for mary, on day 3 she gets told she has been in contact and self isolates until tested, spreading it no further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

listermint wrote: »
    Thanks Harpon. I'm glad we have your scientific opinion on epidemiology to fall back on.

Life saver.

Go on then, send me a link to the scientific studies that show contact tracing apps work.........what’s that? You can’t because they don’t exist? Now there’s a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

But Mary will almost certainly have got symptoms long before she gets the notification on the app, and will have infected all of her family and close contacts too.

If she has covid19 and has no symptoms, she will also have spread it on to all of her family and close contacts before getting the notification. If she doesn’t think she is the one who infected her family, she may decide not to bother going out of her way to get tested and have someone shove a cotton bud into the back of her skull. So she will continue on as normal and infect many more people.

I really don’t think this app will have much impact at all in the grand scheme of things.

If everyone used the app and properly, then there would be no need to close down the economy again as outbreaks could be much more easily identified and dealt with in a more precise manner.

The flaw in your point is assuming only Mary is the only one who got infected and the only one not dealing with it. Others will and the efffect of the app will kick in. It's equivalent to saying that the app has no use if infected people coming in to the country don't have our app and use it. It will help once it beigns passing to people who are involved with the app.

The success and effectiveness of an app like this is almost completely down to the take up of the app. The bigger the % of the population using it the better. If it's a low % it will be of limited use overall.

800 thousand and climbing....

Go on then, send me a link to the scientific studies that show contact tracing apps work.........what’s that? You can’t because they don’t exist? Now there’s a surprise.

Ah got it.i see you.

I see you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

GarIT wrote: »
    That's incorrect. See my previous post. When you mark your app as having tested positive, only your anonymous random ID is uploaded.

Good post but what actually happens is the HSE publishes a list of infected devices every two hours. And each individual phone checks if they have seen that infected device before. No lists of who was in contact with who is ever shared with the HSE.
    Hey, thanks for that. I edited my post to update with the correct info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

listermint wrote: »
    Your Google account prob set to UK.

How do I check this?

I have an iPhone?

Would I still get notifications if it is tracking my whereabouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Would an employer have to let you off work if you get notified on the app that you’re a contact until you get a negative test? I’m not sure my employer would go along with that tbh

Would an employer have to let you off work if you get notified on the app that you’re a contact until you get a negative test? I’m not sure my employer would go along with that tbh

Cough and ask them if they are feeling brave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

If everyone used the app and properly, then there would be no need to close down the economy again as outbreaks could be much more easily identified and dealt with in a more precise manner.

The flaw in your point is assuming only Mary is the only one who got infected and the only one not dealing with it. Others will and the efffect of the app will kick in. It's equivalent to saying that the app has no use if infected people coming in to the country don't have our app and use it. It will help once it beigns passing to people who are involved with the app.

I’m not saying it will have no benefit, just very little benefit. The process is too slow. There’s just too many who won’t have the phones capable of it, too many who won’t bother downloading it, too many who will download it but then not bother updating the app to say they have covid19. The app only notifies people if they have been in contact with someone with covid19 for 15 mins or more, which has no basis in science. If someone with covid19 coughes near you chances are you are getting it, the 15 mins thing is bollox.

For the app to have a shred of success it needs high adoption and compliance but that won’t happen because just too many don’t give a fcuk. I had a delivery driver go past me in my estate the other day with the covid cough, I shudder to think how many people that fcuker will infect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

HBC08 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been asked already but do I need Bluetooth on all the time for this to work ?
    If i do will it drain the battery or interfere with other things im Bluetooth connected to (like my car etc)
    I'm think I'll download it tonight anyway.

Just in relation to Bluetooth.

It has changed over the years and is now Bluetooth LE which is low energy.

It does not drain batteries like the y used to and not will other bluetooth devices be affected.

Bluetooth can handle multiple devices and connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

They certainly would.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

PopTarts wrote: »
    How do I check this?

I have an iPhone?

Would I still get notifications if it is tracking my whereabouts?

If you have an iPhone then it's nothing to do with Google. The person who said that was assuming you have an android phone.

Go to your settings-general- language and region and make sure the region is set to Ireland.

If it is set to Ireland then I would restart your phone and see if that resolves the problem.

I’m not saying it will have no benefit, just very little benefit. The process is too slow. There’s just too many who won’t have the phones capable of it, too many who won’t bother downloading it, too many who will download it but then not bother updating the app to say they have covid19. The app only notifies people if they have been in contact with someone with covid19 for 15 mins or more, which has no basis in science. If someone with covid19 coughes near you chances are you are getting it, the 15 mins thing is bollox.

For the app to have a shred of success it needs high adoption and compliance but that won’t happen because just too many don’t give a fcuk. I had a delivery driver go past me in my estate with the covid cough, I shudder to think how many people that fcuker will infect.

There are 3.6 million active phone numbers in Ireland. Removing the under 16s leaves it at under 3 million, we are heading for 1m by tomorrow morning, that's 33%. The threshold for the app having a noticeable effect was 25%, and the threshold for the app being able to control the spread alone without any sort of lockdown or restrictions is 60% we're on the way to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

seligehgit wrote: »
    They certainly would.

I’m new enough at work and absences are frowned upon greatly

• Advertisement

It's a lot better than spreading COVID-19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sometimes we have to do things for the common good. This app is one of them, and will help things get back to some kind of normality, whatever that will look like.

I've absolutely no problem with the app, nor am I worried about data mining any of my information either. I am law abiding and don't care who knows what about me tbh.

Let's hope the uptake goes up and up now, and leave the tin foil hat merchants to their caves of doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Totally understand.:)

But your employers have all manner of responsibilities to you and your fellow employees,customers (patients) under The Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

For the app to have a shred of success it needs high adoption and compliance but that won’t happen because just too many don’t give a fcuk. I had a delivery driver go past me in my estate the other day with the covid cough, I shudder to think how many people that fcuker will infect.

It is to be used in addition to regular contact tracing, which has its own limitations. But lets say I'm sitting in a bar near someone for an hour, I don't know them, they don't know me, so we don't have each others names/numbers for the previous method. But then I get covid, this app can help alert the other person that they have been near someone who has been diagnosed and should get themselves tested.

Sure someone walking past me might cough on me, and pass it on and the app wont know this. But regular contact tracing wont know it either. Doesn't mean the app is useless.

I have yet to hear an actual downside to installing the app, you don't need to open it every day. Just install it, set it up and forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

To be fair, the app seems to make a huge effort to anonymise the data and prevent any risks of data trawling, tracking or spying or function creep.

Obviously it's not going to be perfect, but it's better than not having it and we will know if it's making a difference in a few weeks time.

Anything that can reduce spread, without much impact on end users, is good in my books.

I've had it running all day on an iPhone 11 Pro and I haven't noticed any impact on the battery either, so on the Apple implementation at least, it seems to have been very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

murpho999 wrote: »
    If you have an iPhone then it's nothing to do with Google. The person who said that was assuming you have an android phone.

Go to your settings-general- language and region and make sure the region is set to Ireland.

If it is set to Ireland then I would restart your phone and see if that resolves the problem.

Thanks. It is set to Ireland.

It doesn’t pop up the whole time but has on a few occasions.

Just strange! No idea what might make it think I’m outside Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

This app was built with privacy in mind.
    It doesn’t connect to any servers and it certainly doesn’t track you.
    It’s a shame a 1/4 of the population or more don’t understand this. This is what will stop the application from being effective potentially saving lives.

To the quarter who voted no, please educate yourselves.

https://github.com/HSEIreland/covidtracker-documentation/blob/master/documentation/privacy/Data%20Protection%20Impact%20Assessment%20for%20the%20COVID%20Tracker%20App%20-%2026.06.2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I am law abiding and don't care who knows what about me tbh.

I'm quite partial to breaking the law and I have no problem with using this app.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Was anyone able to get the sepia tone filter on their stories on the app? Checking in Covid free at my favourite restaurant with the girls!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I'm quite partial to breaking the law and I have no problem with using this app.

Love that comment :P

Advertisement