Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Anyone getting any notifications from the App yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Hope not to because I think that would be bad news?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cereal_Killer

I downloaded it when it came out, I have social media so I am well and truely tracked already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

From looking at the logs on my wife's iphone (can't check it on Android due to the bug I mentioned earlier), I'm seeing 65 diagnosis keys been checked since she installed the app. If I understand it right, each key refers to one day's worth of broadcasts for one person. It could be 20 people each with 3 days of exposure, or 10 people with 6 days worth or something in between. But, either way it's not a big number and has probably resulted in even fewer new close contacts. So, the chances of anyone out of a million people getting a notification are small, but it has happened as we heard yesterday,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

plodder wrote: »
    From looking at the logs on my wife's iphone (can't check it on Android due to the bug I mentioned earlier), I'm seeing 65 diagnosis keys been checked since she installed the app. If I understand it right, each key refers to one day's worth of broadcasts for one person. It could be 20 people each with 3 days of exposure, or 10 people with 6 days worth or something in between. But, either way it's not a big number and has probably resulted in even fewer new close contacts. So, the chances of anyone out of a million people getting a notification are small, but it has happened as we heard yesterday,

How do you check logs on iPhone please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

I got two odd errors on it today:

First one was telling me that it didn’t have enough space to store the codes, which made absolutely no sense as it’s barely using 1.7MB and my phone has over 180GB available.

Second one was a message about tracking services being unavailable out of the Ireland region, when I was in the midlands & on Eir mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

First one was telling me that it didn’t have enough space to store the codes, which made absolutely no sense as it’s barely using 1.7MB and my phone has over 180GB available.

Second one was a message about tracking services being unavailable out of the Ireland region, when I was in the midlands & on Eir mobile.

180 gig space? On a phone?
    What phone is that and I assume it's an SD card?

kippy wrote: »
    180 gig space? On a phone?
    What phone is that and I assume it's an SD card?

256GB internal storage. Wouldn’t be that unusual on a higher spec smartphone. They’re basically just ultra portable computers.

I’m just a bit surprised there isn’t a report bugs / feedback option in the app.

256GB internal storage. Wouldn’t be that unusual on a higher spec smartphone. They’re basically just ultra portable computers.
    Ah I know they are generally pretty powerful on the higher end, just didn't realise that level of storage would be common place even at the high end in this era of cloudy apps and connectivity.
    Sorry, can't help with either issue you had but thanks for the info

Lisha wrote: »

Settings
    Go to COVID Tracker Ireland
    At the bottom of the screen it will say COVID 19 exposure logging settings (in blue) click that.
    Open exposure checks (requires pin or fingerprint)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ha, really, why worry.

Also, no surprise that a Sinn Fein member wouldn't install a tracking app.
    Except it's not a location tracking app.

And people can loose immunity in a few months.

Besides the telco's , Apple , Google, phone makers, and way too many apps track locations. Why does RTE News Now want my location or want to use Bluetooth ?

Except it's not a location tracking app.

And people can loose immunity in a few months.

Besides the telco's , Apple , Google, phone makers, and way too many apps track locations. Why does RTE News Now want my location or want to use Bluetooth ?

Rte news maybe because of geo restrictions on content and/or the ability to transmit audio to Bluetooth speakers/device etc?
    Just speculating btw. At least nowadays they have to advise you what is being accessed and you have the option not to allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

I posted a few days ago that I loaded the app having not done so for a day or two and I had to set it up from scratch. No idea if it had been tracking before that.

HSE mailed me this evening that it is a known bug, a few people have reported it, and will be fixed in update later this week, in case anyone was wondering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

Noticed the battery draining quite a bit since I installed it, anyone else the same?

Lisha wrote: »
    You've probably seen this already, but there is an option to "Export Exposure Checks" in that screen, which you can then send to yourself using email or whatsapp etc which sends them in a form that is easier to look at overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I got the same on iPhone despite having 30gb free which makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

So I got a notification that flashed up on my iPhone X screen. I hadn't time to read it all it disappeared so quickly but it seemed to say I was in contact with someone or exposed.

I have reset my phone notifications now to make the notification stay on 'persistent'.

When I open the app there is no warning or such message.

Anyone else experience this?

Update: I saw this part "Close contact warning: The COVID tracker app has detected that you may have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for Covid-19" but not this part:

"Call back: You have been queued for a phone call and we will try and call you as soon as possible."

I got the same on iPhone despite having 30gb free which makes no sense

Feed it back to them in the reviews. They should have a feedback button in the apps, bit of an oversight.

You’ll inevitably get a few glitches.

maherhonda wrote: »
    Noticed the battery draining quite a bit since I installed it, anyone else the same?

Possibly, it's always on in the background, sniffing about for some pings. Haven't notice much of a change myself.

forumdedum wrote: »
    So I got a notification that flashed up on my iPhone X screen. I hadn't time to read it all it disappeared so quickly but it seemed to say I was in contact with someone or exposed.

I have reset my phone notifications now to make the notification stay on 'persistent'.

Update: I saw this part "Close contact warning: The COVID tracker app has detected that you may have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for Covid-19" but not this part:

"Call back: You have been queued for a phone call and we will try and call you as soon as possible."

Can you not pull the home screen down from the top to see notifications you’ve received?

• Advertisement

Can you not pull the home screen down from the top to see notifications you’ve received?

Thank you, not familiar enough with how my phone works.

I have done that now. It actually said 0 exposures. My apologies, it flashed on screen. Now I know how to work notifications thanks to you.

forumdedum wrote: »

Did you register your phone number in the app?

plodder wrote: »
    Did you register your phone number in the app?

Yes, from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I have been 'checking in' every day since the launch on July 6th, but to me, it looks like the number of daily check-ins is lowering. I regularly saw 250,000 check ins every other day, I think I remember 300,000 one day. I can see that there are 135,000 check-ins today currently, and there are over 1,000,000 downloads. That's only 10% use.

I have noticed my battery life in my phone being a lot worse than usual over the last couple of weeks too, so all of these considered - is it really worth having & using the app?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

FitzShane wrote: »
    I have been 'checking in' every day since the launch on July 6th, but to me, it looks like the number of daily check-ins is lowering. I regularly saw 250,000 check ins every other day, I think I remember 300,000 one day. I can see that there are 135,000 check-ins today currently, and there are over 1,000,000 downloads. That's only 10% use.
    Does it really matter much if people are saying how they're doing though? I know I haven't checked in. The important bit is that if someone who is infected communicates it through the app. That's the vital part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I have noticed my battery life in my phone being a lot worse than usual over the last couple of weeks too, so all of these considered - is it really worth having & using the app?

That is not a key function of the application, so while HSE put it in there and may want people to give some information and use it (perhaps especially if they are having any Covid-19 symptoms?), it is not critical for the application to do what it is supposed to do.

About battery life, am not finding it (on android). I'm seeing a usage of ~ 0.2 % for the application and haven't noticed my phone running out of power quicker or anything since it was installed. I've opened it perhaps 1 time per day for a minute or so. I can't really see how it could drain your battery unless you have application open/loaded all the time or something.
    As far as I understand, the way it (or underlying Google/Apple Exposure Notification service) is using bluetooth is supposed to be power efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

ixoy wrote: »
    Does it really matter much if people are saying how they're doing though? I know I haven't checked in. The important bit is that if someone who is infected communicates it through the app. That's the vital part.
    fly_agaric wrote: »
    That is not a key function of the application, so while HSE put it in there and may want people to give some information and use it (perhaps especially if they are having any Covid-19 symptoms?), it is not critical for the application to do what it is supposed to do.

About battery life, am not finding it (on android). I'm seeing a usage of ~ 0.2 % for the application and haven't noticed my phone running out of power quicker or anything since it was installed. I've opened it perhaps 1 time per day for a minute or so. I can't really see how it could drain your battery unless you have application open/loaded all the time or something.
    As far as I understand, the way it (or underlying Google/Apple Exposure Notification service) is using bluetooth is supposed to be power efficient.

That's true, I hadn't really thought about the check in feature that way.

So basically just downloading the app once off is the important bit, and then if someone is positive then communicating that through the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That's true, I hadn't really thought about the check in feature that way.

So basically just downloading the app once off is the important bit, and then if someone is positive then communicating that through the app.

Yes, I think so. You could install, open + set it up (better IMO to provide a contact phone number so HSE can contact you if the application warns you about exposure) and then forget after that until it notifies you of something (i.e. you have come into contact with someone who tested positive), which hopefully does not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I really don't know why they have the whole check-in thing, it's fairly pointless.

On another note, the exposure notifications key count is now working for me correctly after moving to the Google Play Services beta program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

JazzyJ wrote: »
    I really don't know why they have the whole check-in thing, it's fairly pointless.
    I was thinking about that and having people in the habit of opening the app once a day is a reasonable way to make sure the app is still running. I'd expect less and less to check in as it becomes a pointless task.

Is the "number of keys" in the exposure notification interface indicative of how many alerts have been issued? It seems to be 0 in all the checks, so am I right in thinking that no any actual virus exposure checks have been issued yet. (Unsurprisingly my "number of matches" is zero too - I presume also that that's my personal number of matches as the app wouldn't be able to know about any matches that don't involve me).

Other questions:

Will they let the media (etc) publicise after the first contact alerts have been issued via the app? (or the first positives that have been found through the key matching leading to voluntary testing) It could lead to another burst of installations as people realize there may actually be a point to the thing. Conversely, if it goes on too long with no such news as they still make scary noises about the number of cases, then the app may well have been pointless.

Is it possible to access the number of random IDs my phone has picked up? No intention here of matching the IDs with specific contacts. I'm just curious how many contact events it thinks I've had. I hope there's at least a few because I know I've been in the appropriate level of contact with close family members, neighbours and colleagues. I can name at least 8 that have been within good Bluetooth range (if not quite 2 metres) continuously for at least 15 minutes in the last two weeks, mostly multiple times each. I know most if not all of them have the app installed.

Advertisement