Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

60% of Irish people will never download this app so, by the former health minister's own admission, this app WILL fail.

Does anyone disagree with the above statement?:D
    The app was cheap to make, and is already alerting possible close contacts. Every little bit helps. Thanks for wishing the country well however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

These tracking apps have flopped badly in every country they were introduced.

They offer no protection against a virus. In fact, they would lull some people into a false sense of security and have negative effects in that regard.

This Big Brother tech is doomed, and I'm delighted about that. :o

Seems to have been successful in South Korea. But more down to an acceptance of people to utilise it. But then SK doesn't have as many paranoid luddites as have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

60% of Irish people will never download this app so, by the former health minister's own admission, this app WILL fail.

At least one-quarter of the population will have to use the contact tracing app being developed by the Health Service Executive in order for it to work in helping to curb the spread of Covid-19, according to Minister for Health Simon Harris.

Internationally, the target adoption rates for tracker apps has been estimated at up to 60 per cent of the population, but Mr Harris says a US app similar to the one being developed by the HSE needs at least a 25 per cent uptake in order to have a significant impact on the rate of infection.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/contact-tracing-app-one-in-four-must-use-to-curb-covid-19-spread-1.4244108

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

After all the fanfare upon its release, the downloads have stalled. And now there is an online twitter campaign to delete the app following the scandalous handling of data by the government in relation to PUP payments.

https://twitter.com/search?q=delete%20the%20covid%20app&src=typed_query

Nice to see people waking up to what the app is really about, albeit no one should have downloaded it in the first place.

That twitter campaign is a close cousin of the 5G causes COVID campaign.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If the app does nothing to protect you from Covid, why would you download it?

The people downloading this crap think it will help them "stay safe", which is bollocks of course.

No they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Once you take out pensioners in care homes, children without phones, people working from home, people who never use public transport, people who don't work in a office of other crowded environment, people who don't hang out down the pub and a bunch of other people who have limited interactions with anyone they don't know well in their day to day life then you don't need anything like 60% of the population to have the app being very useful indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

robinph wrote: »
    Once you take out pensioners in care homes, children without phones, people working from home, people who never use public transport, people who don't work in a office of other crowded environment, people who don't hang out down the pub and a bunch of other people who have limited interactions with anyone they don't know well in their day to day life then you don't need anything like 60% of the population to have the app being very useful indeed.

The "experts" say 60% is necessary for it to be effective.

I thought we were supposed to trust the experts and follow the science, what happened to that?:D

I thought we were supposed to trust the experts and follow the science, what happened to that?:D
    60% was thought necessary to control the epidemic through the App alone. No-one expected 60% to install it.

What we have currently is great, which together with contact tracing, social distancing and the other measures are the current strategy.

If 60% of the population of Dublin under 40 download it then it will be pretty damned effective at doing it's job.

People out and about with people they don't know are the ones who we need running the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

If they're only "experts", what difference does it make what they say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

1.44 million registrations. Seems to be saturated/saturating now but not too bad at all.
    That must be a high proportion of the Irish adult population who would have a fairly up to date Android/Apple phone + can install and use it.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    1.44 million registrations. Seems to be saturated now but not too bad at all.
    That must be a high proportion of the Irish adult population who would have a fairly up to date Android/Apple phone + can install and use it.

Still not nearly enough to be successful against Covid-19 as per the experts...

It's a bit like saying " we only lost the match 3-2".

A loss is a loss no matter what way you package it.

It's a bit like saying " we only lost the match 3-2".

A loss is a loss no matter what way you package it.

As per you...and I have my doubts about your expertise :(
    Maybe a legend in your own lunchtime!:pac:

We know that some people who have tested positive were using the app, as notifications have been received by some users. Happy days, every bit helps, good job everyone.

hmmm wrote: »
    We know that some people who have tested positive were using the app, as notifications have been received by some users. Happy days, every bit helps, good job everyone.

Some people?:o Would you care to post a ball park figure, because that doesn't sound like very many to me.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Some people?:o Would you care to post a ball park figure, because that doesn't sound like very many to me.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    It doesn't matter how many it is, it means it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Is it just me or is the daily number of check ins going down? Only at about 180k now, I think in the early days there was over 200k before midday nearly every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

thelad95 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the daily number of check ins going down? Only at about 180k now, I think in the early days there was over 200k before midday nearly every day.

Check-ins don't matter though if your app is working properly (unless you have it of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

BBC: Contact tracing app 'working in Ireland'

Some interesting stuff in that. First, the BBC reporters seem to originally have concluded that the apps weren't working because no country could tell them how many people had received a close contact alert. But, that is how the system is designed (as they later acknowledge). Nobody is able to tell how many receive such alerts.

However, the Irish app has the opt-in feature where some people who receive a close contact alert allow the HSE to call them. And apparently, there has been 91 of these calls up to when that article was written. So, the number of people here who have received a close contact alert is 91 at least.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I suspect a lot of people think they may need to check-in every day for the app to work.

You don't need to check-in. It's good to do it if you remember as it supplies more data, but even if you just download the app and never open it again it is working away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I got a weird alert this morning (first time I'd seen it since installing it in the first few days) about "Exposure notifications".

Was a bit worried, but when I clicked into it, it just brought me to the exposure notification "settings". From there I can see that there were 29 checks in the last 14 days, which seems a bit low. I'm on Android, and I thought it was going to check every 2-3 hours. If I click "exposure checks" it gives me a list of dates and times, but not in order.

For example it shows

17 July
    18:40
    16:30
    12:25

21 July
    20:45

14 July
    19:45

22 July
    19:16

If I click into any of those it gives Timestamp,
    Number of keys

Number of matches

App
    Covid Tracker Ireland

Hash
    fksjksdkfljsdf

Is it working correctly? I checked a few times when I knew I was in/around other people who also had the app. One period I know there were 4 of us with the app, but no-one else anywhere nearby, and that showed "Number of keys = 10". Another time I know I was in a car with my partner (who also has it installed) for a few hours, and that showed keys = 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I see similar. Also got a notification but it just said "this is your weekly exposures reminder" or something. Heart did stop for a second!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thoie wrote: »
    I got a weird alert this morning (first time I'd seen it since installing it in the first few days) about "Exposure notifications".

Was a bit worried, but when I clicked into it, it just brought me to the exposure notification "settings". From there I can see that there were 29 checks in the last 14 days, which seems a bit low. I'm on Android, and I thought it was going to check every 2-3 hours. If I click "exposure checks" it gives me a list of dates and times, but not in order.

For example it shows

17 July
    18:40
    16:30
    12:25

21 July
    20:45

14 July
    19:45

22 July
    19:16

If I click into any of those it gives Timestamp,
    Number of keys

Number of matches

App
    Covid Tracker Ireland

Hash
    fksjksdkfljsdf

Is it working correctly? I checked a few times when I knew I was in/around other people who also had the app. One period I know there were 4 of us with the app, but no-one else anywhere nearby, and that showed "Number of keys = 10". Another time I know I was in a car with my partner (who also has it installed) for a few hours, and that showed keys = 0.
    Did you turn off/on bluetooth at any point?
    Only time I have seen any notification is around turning on/off bluetooth.

kippy wrote: »
    Did you turn off/on bluetooth at any point?
    Only time I have seen any notification is around turning on/off bluetooth.

The one I got was different to the one I get when I turn off Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

The "number of keys" relates to people who have reported been infected and it's their keys that get uploaded from their phone and then distributed to other people's phones for checking within the following couple of hours. Each number is the number of new keys since the last time you checked. So, I'm guessing it could be zero, but the iOS version of the app doesn't show the zero reports at all. To complicate it further, there was a bug on Android where it was always reporting zero, but that has been fixed. I only noticed that it was fixed myself today.

Mine says last time it checked was yesterday evening. Maybe it only checks if the server has new infected keys or something.

Stark wrote: »
    Yeah I see similar. Also got a notification but it just said "this is your weekly exposures reminder" or something. Heart did stop for a second!

Got that also today + was surprising, not in a great way as you say. Looked like something coming direct from the Android service, like a reminder from Google that it is turned on and [if I remember correctly] it went into those settings [rather than the app] when I clicked it. What the point of it was I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Is it working correctly?

The notification literally says that its a weekly notification to say that exposure notifications is turned on!

fly_agaric wrote: »
    What the point of it was I am not sure.
    I believe it's to remind people that it is turned on, so that no-one can claim they were secretly being tracked. Like those annoying cookie notices on websites :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

JazzyJ wrote: »
    The notification literally says that its a weekly notification to say that exposure notifications is turned on!

I didn't notice/see the word "weekly", but it then raises the question as to why I'm only seeing a weekly notification 2 weeks later. All minor things I'm sure they'll iron out.

Advertisement