Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options

Comments

I’d say if it was a game most people would try the restart first instead of instantly deleting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I’d say if it was a game most people would try the restart first instead of instantly deleting it.

Do you mean just restart the phone? Or reinstall the app?

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Do you mean just restart the phone? Or reinstall the app?

Either. It’s not often someone will delete an app instantly when something like this happens. It’s common enough on Android anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Same here!!!!! really dont want to uninstall the app though. tried restarts , clearing data cache on google play services , resetting location etc and no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frankie19

S20 ultra here and phone getting hot amd draining battery really fast since last night....now I know why. Disabled app for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

yes, like any computer I'd tend to see if the old saw of turning it off and on again will fix it before messing with the settings or uninstalling software (...especially this application). Never had a phone give me a warning like that or suggest a course of action, but I got a new one recently. Not a high end phone, but I suppose the resource managers etc in them must be getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Either. It’s not often someone will delete an app instantly when something like this happens. It’s common enough on Android anyway.

I restarted twice and I left my phone turned off for an hour to cool down, I was worried about it because it was getting so hot. It was fine last night but it was boiling when I woke up this morning and nothing I did helped until I deleted the app this afternoon. Hopefully it's just a glitch that will be fixed soon because I installed it as soon as it came out and had no trouble until today.

It's been working fine since I uninstalled the app but I'll reinstall it before I go back to work on Tuesday because I do believe that contact tracing is the most important thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's a huge drain on my OnePlus 7T Pro too. I had no problems with it till last night.

Same on a OnePlus 7 (not pro)
    Uninstalled it, rebooted then reinstalled.
    Battery usage seems much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

dashoonage wrote: »
    Same here!!!!! really dont want to uninstall the app though. tried restarts , clearing data cache on google play services , resetting location etc and no good.

I just tried clearing my cache and data from the Google play services. Btw when I removed the covid app my phone is still warm and battery is still dropping, not as bad but still happening so it's likely Google play services related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

I tried restarting it twice and it made no difference. I'll download it again as soon as it's fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's a huge drain on my OnePlus 7T Pro too. I had no problems with it till last night.
    Yeah, same issue with the same phone.

I'd prefer not to delete it, but if it's going to insist on draining my phone, then it will have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

I uninstalled the app, restarted and was still seeing excessive use of CPU and battery. Power off/on and restarts seem to to have helped eventually but there's something screwy going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Left my brand new phone on 95% battery last night, woke up to it on 45% and Android system said most of that was from the Covid app. Hasn't happened me before last night. Several family members also said the same happened with them today. Have uninstalled it for now presume most people will be doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Glad to hear I'm not the only person that's experiencing HUGE battery drain in the last 24 hours with my OnePlus 7T.

85% going to bed last night. Woke up at 7am this morning and my phone was dead.

Charged it to 100%. 15% at 2pm.

Charged to 100% again. Now at 22% and I've just deleted the Covid app

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

wowy wrote: »

Yep. Started happening to me since the latest android update. Clearing cache on Google play services seemed to help

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

One Plus 7T

I've also noticed a massive drain on battery over the last few days. I used to get a full day on one charge, lucky to get a couple hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Something screwy going on here as well. Updated Android recently so probably related

How do I clear the play services cache?

Last thing we need with the virus making a return is for people to start deleting the app due to battery issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Haven't noticed any problem myself, though it's the nature of Android that differences in behavior are common because of the (slight) differences in hardware and software of different manufacturers, which is obviously not an issue for Apple, which controls both the hardware and software on the iphone platform.

What I don't get is how the app is being reported as a battery hog on Android. That doesn't make sense to me unless you are constantly "using" the app which seems unlikely to me. Most people would call it up once per day at most to report their symptoms/no symptoms. If google play services was reported as using battery that might make more sense.

Be careful clearing play services, as I did that on a phone and think it may have deleted all the bluetooth contact info that had been stored up t that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had the same issue today. Phone fully charged, went on an 8 hour hike, didn't use phone at all, but it was empty after about 7 hours. Main culprits in battery settings the covid-19 app and Google Play services Never been an issue at all until today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Your battery is being depleted by the virus google insists on placing on your phone to snitch home to papa (google play). All the privacy issues people have been making a meal of are also due to google play services not the tracker app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Same here, massive drain battery drain today. My battery actually ran out for the first time in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Yep. Started happening to me since the latest android update. Clearing cache on Google play services seemed to help

I'll take that fix back. Battery still draining

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'll take that fix back. Battery still draining

Remove the app for a couple of days. See if issue still there. Will help isolate whether app, platform or combination of both

• Registered Users Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Yep. Just uninstalled the app. Killed my phone last night suddenly. Got a warning on Device Management on Settings this morning that the app was seriously using my battery. This never happened before. Had to charge my phone twice today and my phone has been hot all day
    I thought it was the warm weather and I was working outside all day the garden.
    But is this a good time to uninstall the app especially with the spike in cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

gammygils wrote: »
    Yep. Just uninstalled the app. Killed my phone last night suddenly. Got a warning on Device Management on Settings this morning that the app was seriously using my battery. This never happened before. Had to charge my phone twice today and my phone has been hot all day
    But is this a good time to uninstall the app especially with the spike in cases?

Amazing. I have noticed the same issue. Warned that the Covid app was draining my battery, and my phone is really hot all day

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

Just came in here to check if anyone else was having the issue ....ran my normally excellent battery down in a few hours this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

The likes of Regina Doherty have made my trust of our government to respect my privacy plummet. But Ill make an exception for the duration of the pandemic as long as the code remains open source.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It depends on your risk assessment and risk appetite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It uses bluetooth, and probably not passively. Turn off bluetooth when not walking around, I suppose?

Advertisement