Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Uninstalled and reinstalled today but still massively draining my battery on Android, 40% gone in just over an hour and making the phone run ridiculously hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

No way! The government just want to track our movements and location. This is insane, how can people even trust these corrupt dishonest politicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

Don2012 wrote: »
    No way! The government just want to track our movements and location. This is insane, how can people even trust these corrupt dishonest politicans.

Sure they already do this through social media apps, google/gmail etc.. This reasoning is always laughable when people probably use a smart phone or laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I think it's quite clear from a search of Google that it's not Covid tracker app. It's a Google play update that's causing the problem.

When you check what's using your battery Google play isn't visible as a culprit (probably another bug). Covid app works a lot in the background as people have Bluetooth on.....but it's not this app that is to blame.

Google will most likely push out an update again in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I deleted the app last night and my battery performance is back to normal now
    Glad to hear I'm not the only person that's experiencing HUGE battery drain in the last 24 hours with my OnePlus 7T.

85% going to bed last night. Woke up at 7am this morning and my phone was dead.

Charged it to 100%. 15% at 2pm.

Charged to 100% again. Now at 22% and I've just deleted the Covid app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I deleted the app last night and my battery performance is back to normal now
    It's possible then that it's a combination of the two, ie a bug in the part of Google Play Services that is only used by the covid-19 app. If that part isn't used, the bug doesn't appear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

daheff wrote: »
    I think it's quite clear from a search of Google that it's not Covid tracker app. It's a Google play update that's causing the problem.

When you check what's using your battery Google play isn't visible as a culprit (probably another bug). Covid app works a lot in the background as people have Bluetooth on.....but it's not this app that is to blame.

Google will most likely push out an update again in the near future.

On my phone when looking at battery usage you can select "show full device usage" and "show app usage". When full device is selected it shows Google play services as the main culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Clearing cache and data for Google Play store app fixed it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Looking into this today.

Is it possible that covid app interaction with Google Play Services is the issue?

I've disabled covid app till tomorrow to see.
    Phone was noticably hot yesterday.

On redit a user had a return email from the developers.
    Google play services updated and they know there is an issue. "On it"

Edit. Phone not hot since covid app disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

From one of the Covid 19 developers

https://twitter.com/Cianomaidin/status/1292162930323193856?s=19

"Its a problem with google play services thats causing power drain- Google did an update last night

We're on it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just got a warning on my contact tracing app saying “you need to enable exposure notification service” but it’s on. I’ve all notifications allowed on the app.

I was prompted to look when somebody said that the app eats up their battery and out of curiosity I looked. It’s as if COvId app doesn’t use any of my battery.

I hope this isn’t connected to the warning I get that says something like “Covid app is not supported in your area”.

I downloaded this app originally when I was in Wexford but I live in meath.

If I delete and reinstall the app will all my info recorded to date be lost? Anybody any suggestions or theories on what’s wrong or what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Today my phone is I have higher battery usage than usual but its not mentioning the covid app this time. Definitely seems to be a google problem

Feck sake, does anybody have a red exclamation on the app at the bottom where is says “contact tracing”?

I click onto it and it says “contact tracing is not enabled”

When I click on “privacy” and then Bluetooth , I see a note saying “Covid 19 exposure lighting” off. When you click on it it says “not available in your region”. There’s actually no Covid app icon in “location settings”.

Maybe I’m wrong but I’m not sure this is working right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Whoever’s faul it is, uninstalling the Covid app fixes it.

There’s no point having the Covid app installed if it’s going to kill your phone, you won’t get any warnings if your battery is dead.

Uninstalled Covid-19 app, no change. Cleared data and cache on Google Play Services, reinstalled Covid-19 app and all seems to be well so far. I had to re-enable backups (which revealed another long standing problem which took me ages to solve!!) and also re-enable my bank cards for Google Pay but that's it, so far at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Clearing data and cache and reinstalling seemed to do the trick for me too

Stark wrote: »
    Clearing data and cache and reinstalling seemed to do the trick for me too

How do you do that and what issues does it cause? Does it delete passwords from the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Uninstalling and reinstalling Google play services has fixed the issue for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

back ok for me now by the looks of it , cleared cache and data on google play services and deleted and reinstalled the tracker app.

Delighted as i really didnt want to be without the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Drumpot wrote: »
    How do you do that and what issues does it cause? Does it delete passwords from the phonGge?

Go into Settings, then Apps & notifications, and choose Google Play Store. Tap Storage, then Clear Data.

This does not remove apps or any logins for forums, email etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Go into Settings, then Apps & notifications, and choose Google Play Store. Tap Storage, then Clear Data.

It does completely reset Google Pay though so you have to set up each card again.

Thanks for going to the time to explain that but I should of stayed I’m on an iPhone ! Not sure My issue is connected to the one many are having today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Thanks a million for posting - sorted 2 phones here. My own phone got so hot yesterday I couldnt keep it in my pocket and it was out of battery in no time.
    Followed your instructions a few hours ago and no problems since and hse app working

VG31 wrote: »
    It does completely reset Google Pay though so you have to set up each card again.
    The card details aren't deleted though. All you have to do is reauthorise them for contactless use by entering a code from the issuing bank. Takes all of 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I thouught this was just me.

My battery has been awful in the last 24-ish hours (Galaxy Note 9). It died ovrnight which is actually something that's never happened since I got it so I did a Google and found a reddit thread linking the problem to Play Services and the Covid app (which matches what I'm seeing on my own phone under Battery info)
    More concerning, I got warnings about excessive cpu usage and needing to restart. Phone was getting hot too which I'd put down to being outside in the glorious weather.

I've no problem with the app, but it's getting uninstalled now until I see updates here that it's been solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The app gave me a notification about a week ago that my phone hasn't enough memory available to give notifications if I'm in contact with someone. I've 9GB free on my iPhone XR. Nothing in the app mentions this. I regret not screenshotting the notif but I was in the middle of something and just quickly read and closed it, expecting there to be more info in the app.

Same. Got that last week and I’ve over 60GB fire on my iPhone. Battery is brutal at the minute too, dropping 40%+ overnight and phone constantly hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

app uninstalled, problem solved.
    sorry hse, not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I thouught this was just me.

My battery has been awful in the last 24-ish hours (Galaxy Note 9). It died ovrnight which is actually something that's never happened since I got it so I did a Google and found a reddit thread linking the problem to Play Services and the Covid app (which matches what I'm seeing on my own phone under Battery info)
    More concerning, I got warnings about excessive cpu usage and needing to restart. Phone was getting hot too which I'd put down to being outside in the glorious weather.

I've no problem with the app, but it's getting uninstalled now until I see updates here that it's been solved.

Can confirm that since clearing cache and data from Play Services, and Play Store and uninstalling the Covid app, things are back normal after a full power off and start (not restart).

Take up of the app was about 1.5 million last I saw. That's low enough anyway considering, but this certainly won't help and will reduce those numbers significantly if they can't fix the problem urgently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Can confirm that since clearing cache and data from Play Services, and Play Store and uninstalling the Covid app, things are back normal after a full power off and start (not restart).

Take up of the app was about 1.5 million last I saw. That's low enough anyway considering, but this certainly won't help and will reduce those numbers significantly if they can't fix the problem urgently

1.5 million is not low.
    How many smart phone users in the Republic?
    Maybe 3m? 50% uptake

App fixed now according to Newstalk
    Mine fine since cleared Cache

Advertisement