Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

App still doesn’t look like it’s working on my iPhone.

Phoned HSE several times and no joy. Nowhere to actually send in a query so I’m stuck with what looks like a broken App on my phone.

Basically at the bottom of the App where there are 4 links you can click ˋcontact tracing´ That has a red warning on it. When you click on it , it says ˋcontact tracing not enabled´. It gives you suggestions on how to fix it but none of them apply to me. All settings on phone for COVID app are set to allow. Went to privacy>Bluetooth and health and can’t switch on COVID 19 exposure logging´ because it’s ˋnot available in your Region ´. Nobody has any suggestion or answer that has been able to fix it for me. Has to be some weird phone setting somewhere but can’t find a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Drumpot wrote: »
    App still doesn’t look like it’s working on my iPhone.

Phoned HSE several times and no joy. Nowhere to actually send in a query so I’m stuck with what looks like a broken App on my phone.

Basically at the bottom of the App where there are 4 links you can click ˋcontact tracing´ That has a red warning on it. When you click on it , it says ˋcontact tracing not enabled´. It gives you suggestions on how to fix it but none of them apply to me. All settings on phone for COVID app are set to allow. Went to privacy>Bluetooth and health and can’t switch on COVID 19 exposure logging´ because it’s ˋnot available in your Region ´. Nobody has any suggestion or answer that has been able to fix it for me. Has to be some weird phone setting somewhere but can’t find a fix.

Is your iPhone on the latest iOS ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I downloaded the app, I doubt its "spyware" sure can you imagine the fallout from the a whistle blower revealing the government was actually secretly taking your information lol. In any event I did download the app but noticed my battery was not even lasting a day. I assumed the battery was at fault until recently I was like hang on this battery cant be this bad. A bit of googling quickly estabished the app was a battery vampire. Deleted app and my android is back to 24 hours battery time as opposed to 12 to 14 hours:cool:
    I dont know what way that app is programmed but it sucks battery juice !

NOT the app, it was a Google Play services (Core android) issue that is now resolved.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Great to see tens of thousands are now deleting the spyware from their phones.:o

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1292558267529527297
    Covid tracker app deleted 500,000 times

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40037825.html ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Anyone here been contacted by tracers after getting a close contact notification ?

Were you offered a test ?

And if so what was the time gap between being alerted in the app and getting the test result ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

People are beginning to realise how ineffective contact tracer apps are. They will not slow the spread of the virus.

The only place they would work is some communist regime where the whole population is forced to download the app and forced to log if they have symptoms, then it would be very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Harpon wrote: »
    People are beginning to realise how ineffective contact tracer apps are. They will not slow the spread of the virus.

The only place they would work is some communist regime where the whole population is forced to download the app and forced to log if they have symptoms, then it would be very useful.
    But surely 35% of the country using it is better than nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    You're wasting your time with them I suspect.

At a recent press conference I heard that over 400 people had been notified of being a close contact through the app. Every little bit helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Only 1.1m now have the app, so it’s more like 22% of the population. The hse have said they don’t know how many are correctly using the app by enabling Bluetooth and gps, not everyone will be so that 22% figure is very optimistic.

According to that Irish examiner article, only 53% of app users consented to being contacted after being found to be a close contact of an infected person. Of those 349 people who did consent, we don’t know if the app resulted in them being informed quicker than normal contact tracing methods. Given that you have to give your name and contact phone number for entry to restaurants/cafes/pubs these days I think it’s unlikely to have been any quicker in a lot of those cases.

The app was a nice idea in theory but in the real world it makes feck all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

That includes uninstalls in order to reinstall. I've had to do it 3 times myself but still have it active. This number means nada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

GooglePlus wrote: »
    That includes uninstalls in order to reinstall. I've had to do it 3 times myself but still have it active. This number means nada.

Same here and my wife and my brother.
    Once each

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

NOT the app, it was a Google Play services (Core android) issue that is now resolved.

Is it fixed 100% now?
    I had app ever since it was launched but yeah it drained the **** out of battery so I uninstalled it.

If it's ok now - I will reinstall it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

arleitiss wrote: »
    Is it fixed 100% now?
    I had app ever since it was launched but yeah it drained the **** out of battery so I uninstalled it.

If it's ok now - I will reinstall it so.

Yep. Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

GooglePlus wrote: »

The main thing from that article is that even those who still have it installed, aren't using it correctly/as intended so that it's largely ineffective in their case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The main thing from that article is that even those who still have it installed, aren't using it correctly/as intended so that it's largely ineffective in their case.

Not sure where you're getting that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I still think this should've been forced out by the government, where you have to root your phone or install another OS to get rid of it. Sure some cranks and the endlessly paranoid would of course - they are thankfully a (vocal, sigh) minority though.

Just in the number of installs - personally I've had to install it three times door to an unrelated issue with my phone meaning it needed a factory reset.

One thing covid had made me really sick and tired of is the number of cranks and uninformed that get airtime in this country - where their prejudice is considered equivalent to reasoning. I'm absolutely fed up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

Completely agree about the cranks. Those who are contrarian for the sake of it are out in droves. If the government said to not download the app, to not socially distance etc you could be certain many of them would have the app and rarely leave the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I still think this should've been forced out by the government, where you have to root your phone or install another OS to get rid of it. Sure some cranks and the endlessly paranoid would of course - they are thankfully a (vocal, sigh) minority though.

Just in the number of installs - personally I've had to install it three times door to an unrelated issue with my phone meaning it needed a factory reset.

One thing covid had made me really sick and tired of is the number of cranks and uninformed that get airtime in this country - where their prejudice is considered equivalent to reasoning. I'm absolutely fed up with it.

I agree that this app would be really powerful if everyone used it but you cant really force people to have an app on their phone.

bush wrote: »
    I agree that this app would be really powerful if everyone used it but you cant really force people to have an app on their phone.

Why not? It's done all the time. My huawei has an ebay app that's also system app that cannot be removed.

There are other ways to improve penetration,such as a request to download every time you restart your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Anyone here been contacted by tracers after getting a close contact notification ?

Were you offered a test ?

And if so what was the time gap between being alerted in the app and getting the test result ?

Anyone ? Actually hearsay stories will do fine too if nobody has personal experience

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Not sure where you're getting that?

From this..
    Further, the HSE is unable to confirm how many people who have the app on their phones are using it correctly, that is, with bluetooth and GPS (in the case of Android) enabled.

and
    Separately, the HSE said that of 648 close contact alerts issued to app users since launch, just 349 of those, or 53%, have consented to being contacted by contact tracers.

Not much point having it installed if you don't let it do what it's supposed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Why not? It's done all the time. My huawei has an ebay app that's also system app that cannot be removed.

There are other ways to improve penetration,such as a request to download every time you restart your phone

You bought the phone with the app already installed. Either way people you could just disable it.

bush wrote: »
    You bought the phone with the app already installed. Either way people you could just disable it.
    Of course they could just disable it, but that is an active action and one the vast majority of people won't do. You could also block disabling easily and if it requires people to root their phones to remove it well then that's a technical barrier too far for 99.9% of the population.

Anyway a lot of people don't change defaults. It's this very reason so many people use bing as their search engine - it's the default.

Initially a persistent nag message to install should be enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I still think this should've been forced out by the government, where you have to root your phone or install another OS to get rid of it.

Good lord no . I deleted that app long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Needhome

HELL NO

Of course they could just disable it, but that is an active action and one the vast majority of people won't do. You could also block disabling easily and if it requires people to root their phones to remove it well then that's a technical barrier too far for 99.9% of the population.

Anyway a lot of people don't change defaults. It's this very reason so many people use bing as their search engine - it's the default.

Initially a persistent nag message to install should be enough though.

And aside from the massive infringement on people's freedom of choice and control over their personal property, why exactly do you want this?

You are aware that despite the shift of focus towards hyping up new cases, we have only a handful of people in ICU and 0 deaths for days again, right? Outcome of cases is the metric that matters, not one that only tells us "someone caught a virus that the statistics show will be no issue for the vast majority, and which many may not even realise they have"

Your idea would probably be a big hit in the likes of China though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

And aside from the massive infringement on people's freedom of choice and control over their personal property, why exactly do you want this?

You are aware that despite the shift of focus towards hyping up new cases, we have only a handful of people in ICU and 0 deaths for days again, right? Outcome of cases is the metric that matters, not one that only tells us "someone caught a virus that the statistics show will be no issue for the vast majority, and which many may not even realise they have"

Your idea would probably be a big hit in the likes of China though.

Very well said. The app really was only ever going to be a support tool. Key messages remain - wash your hands, socially distance as much as you can, protect the vulnerable and wear a mask in indoor places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

From this..
    You said that the people who still have it installed aren't using it correctly, but the HSE (by design) don't and can't know how many people are using it correctly which is completely different. Some people are probably not using it correctly but not everyone.

By the way, the 53% who didn't want to be contacted by contract tracers doesn't mean that those people never sought a test. The app would have told them how to get a test, and it's reasonable to assume that many of them would have asked for a test.

I notice there's a new version updated that has more interesting statistics including hospital and ICU admissions over the last 24 hours. So, if nothing else the app is a useful source for that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

From this..

and

Not much point having it installed if you don't let it do what it's supposed to.

So they cannot confirm. Bit different to what you said.

And the second point doesn't really change how the app works. There is no requirement to share your phone number - you still get a notification that you're a contact - just the onus is on you to contact the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Quick one on this

If a person downloaded the app, and the issue discovered with the App caused the persons phone to overheat so much to the extent that the phone now wont take a charge and becomes very hot when connected to a charger... Is that person entitled to have their phone repairs paid for by the government?

My mother has a Samsung phone and this has just happened to her phone over the weekend.
    It's to coincidental to just be a fluke.

G.

Happened to my phone too.

Died and won't charge anymore.

Had to get a new phone, absolute hassle.

Advertisement