Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

plodder wrote: »
    They were talking about the app on Newstalk the other day and did a Vox pop. One young person said she wouldn't download it because she didn't want to be "tracked". It will be a challenge to overcome these misconceptions.

^^Very true.

There seems to me to be a suspicion about the state "knowing" things about citizens here & assumptions of the worst of motives that erupt every so often.
    It is (IMO) easy to stoke up among the public.

It will be very unfortunate if that happens with this application. I think it could be a help controlling outbreaks of the virus & keeping us in a more "normal" situation later in the year/next year if it works as advertised and is widely adopted.

I just hope people will buy in/believe using it is worthwhile (as they obviously do with facebook, google etc which are collecting far more personal data about them every day in exchange for use of their services with barely a whimper).

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭poff

According to the published documentations, the app is not supposed to make identifiable data available to anybody. As the source code is available, I would be very surprised if it did not as promised. I don't think, the HSE could afford to be dishonest about the workings of the app. I am not easily convinced and like to give out if I suspect things not quite right...

The app is not using and can not use GPS as google and apple would not allow it. This is the tracking out of the way. If one has not to register, then there is no identification possible. They could use the IP address to see who you are but they (HSE/GOV) promised that the IP addresses are not stored. Phone numbers, if given, are stored until used for the sms code or the callback. If one wants a callback, one has not to worry about the HSE knowing the phone number as you gave it to them ;). But even when you enter it into the app, it does not leave until your are suspected infected - if I remember correctly. And compared to facebook and the likes, the app is definitely safe.

I can not read the source code, I don't understand programming and neither I can verify that the app corresponds with the source code. I'll leave that to some professionals.

Did I change my mind about installing it? Most likely even I am not one of those who needs to use public transport. I keep thinking that I am ok but the reality is, that we all keep forgetting about the virus and I might be too close for too long one day. Then the app could help to keep others safe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

No I won't be downloading the app

Why a waste of money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No, huge invasion of privacy. Amazed it was approved by Data Protection

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Would you like to explain how a completely anonymised app is a "huge invasion of privacy"?

No-one, not the government, nor the people you come into contact with, get any of your personal information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

Gael23 wrote: »

Feel free to give us your technical explanation of this. Source code is freely available on Github if you so wish to take a look.

mirrormatrix, circadian,

I guess, neither you nor me will get an answer. Funny that posts get a thanks like this one:

:confused: What for? There is no explanation whatsoever for a statement that is untrue. No point of thinking about this, it is a waste of energy :)

When is the app supposed to be released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭plodder

No I won't be downloading the app
    Why not, do you mind me asking?

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Gael23 wrote: »

Care to expand on that point?

Why not, do you mind me asking?

Sure no problem. I won't be downloading the app because I dont want to.

Would you like to explain how a completely anonymised app is a "huge invasion of privacy"?

No-one, not the government, nor the people you come into contact with, get any of your personal information.
    Nor google or apple, it should be pointed out. People tend to assume that when google is collecting data on your device, they must be tracking you, but with this app, they are not.

‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Nor google or apple, it should be pointed out. People tend to assume that when google is collecting data on your device, they must be tracking you, but with this app, they are not.

Yes, that is good, they appear to have developed api as a public service/charity effort in fairnesss to them.
    Google have their Maps application (Apple have an equivalent) so don't need anything else when it comes to getting a good insight into where their users & customers go and what they get up to!

I wonder what the delay is. It's been reported as ready to go for over a week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I wonder what the delay is. It's been reported as ready to go for over a week now.

The app will launched tomorrow.

Great news.

I have made the choice not to download the app.

Just heard both Michael Martin and Stephen Donnelly speaking on covid and other related issues.

Varadkar and Harris did it better

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭alentejo

Dont think I will download. Dont like the idea of centralized control of data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

App is in the Apple App Store.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It seems that the Apple version of the app is not available for international users. Can't be used then by visitors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

What’s it called

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

While I like the idea of the app, it's just an extra measure and they have been half arsed with everything else that they done around covid. So I don't see this working all that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

XsApollo wrote: »
    What’s it called

https://covidtracker.gov.ie/

XsApollo wrote: »
    What’s it called

Covid tracker Ireland

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1280247575963197441?s=19

Just downloaded it for Android.
    On the play store now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Can an Employer force you to download this even though it's supposed to be optional?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Can an Employer force you to download this even though it's supposed to be optional?

No how could they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Delta2113 wrote: »

Might be if its a business phone

Just downloaded it but the contact tracing setup seems to be broken as you can’t do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I downloaded it there (Android and Huawei phone so data protection concerns are minimal from me in general), I'm back heading into my office the last 3 weeks and also out and about in shops and pubs. As they say, the more that use it the more effective our tracing will be and it is part of an arsenal of measures which will ensure no lockdown is needed again.

Advertisement